Guggenheim - De Niro

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
harryc

Guggenheim - De Niro

Post by harryc » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:20 pm

Anyone fully up on the Guggenheim story?

Is it finally OVER - or is it the'museum version' of the Cape Fear/De Niro scenario about never being finally dead?

(Doesn't anyone else want to use that land?)

Guggenheim - De Niro

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Guggenheim - De Niro

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:49 pm

harryc wrote:Anyone fully up on the Guggenheim story?

Is it finally OVER - or is it the'museum version' of the Cape Fear/De Niro scenario about never being finally dead?

(Doesn't anyone else want to use that land?)
In Finnish municipality politics there's no equivalent to common law court dismissal with prejudice (and having one probably wouldn't be a good idea). If the officials or politicians so decide, it can always be brought up again.

harryc

Post by harryc » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:00 pm

Yes - I realize the political part can continue to be resuscitated.

But there's the €€€ part of it - plus I wonder why no one is waiting on line to build there - it's a great location.

Rip

Post by Rip » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:57 pm

Anybody else wanting to build there would have to pay for it and have a struggle to get the plans approved. One of the surprises in this story was how many were apparently approve the black tower design (while the glass hotel proposed on the other side of the harbour never got a building permit)

harryc

Post by harryc » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:06 pm

Anybody else wanting to build there would have to pay for it and have a struggle to get the plans approved.
I should still think 'the line forms at the right' That's a fine location - and there is plenty of money around among the Kauniainen/West End crowd. I really wonder how the Guggenheim bunch has been able to 'reserve' it for all this time.

(Personally - I dislike the design for Hki - I went to Bilbao specifically to see that building and did like it - I've been in the one in NY - and just fine - so nothing against the idea - just its realization)

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:43 am

harryc wrote:That's a fine location - and there is plenty of money around among the Kauniainen/West End crowd. I really wonder how the Guggenheim bunch has been able to 'reserve' it for all this time.
For all you know, they might be the folk who voted against it. Many Finns see it as an intrusion in the Finnish cultural landscape - a sort of Disneyfication of Finnish culture. Sure it might bring in a few more tourists but, then again, it might not. Every time a new Guggenheim opens somewhere in the world, the novelty value diminishes. Guggenheim Helsinki would be just another Guggenheim. How many people would have it on their bucket list; maybe a few loyal customers who already have T shirts and fridge magnets from Bilbao, Las Vegas, New York, Guadalajara, Venice, Abu Dhabi...

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:50 am

harryc wrote:I really wonder how the Guggenheim bunch has been able to 'reserve' it for all this time.
Because it's possible to petition to the city board to reserve lots. Guggenheim did this successfully in 2014.

harryc

Post by harryc » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:53 am

For all you know, they might be the folk who voted against it.
EXACTLY! I'm sure they did!

I meant only that there's PLENTY of money available in Finland to use on a prime location.

harryc

Post by harryc » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:59 am

harryc wrote:
I really wonder how the Guggenheim bunch has been able to 'reserve' it for all this time.

Because it's possible to petition to the city board to reserve lots. Guggenheim did this successfully in 2014.
OK - I'm just surprised at how long they've been able to hold onto it - the building lots that cities and communes put on the market every now and then certainly don't give very long 'option' periods.