Leaving Finland but still working here.

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
rayoflight

Post by rayoflight » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:22 pm

We are leaving Finland, but my husband continues to work for a Finnish company full time. He will be working remotely from India. Does anyone have any idea about the tax issues? Should/would he be charged tax here in Finland or India? Also, we haven't sold our car yet and may have to leave it with our friends, but we don't have an address here, how would that work? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Leaving Finland but still working here.

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:47 pm

rayoflight wrote:We are leaving Finland, but my husband continues to work for a Finnish company full time. He will be working remotely from India. Does anyone have any idea about the tax issues? Should/would he be charged tax here in Finland or India?
In India. If he does trips to Finland, they should be checked separately against the tax treaty.
rayoflight wrote:Also, we haven't sold our car yet and may have to leave it with our friends, but we don't have an address here, how would that work? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Not a problem. You just leave it there. You should keep the authorities aware of your address by keeping the population registry up to date (if either one of you is a Finnish citizen, you must). Paying taxes on the car is easier if you subscribe to e-invoices from Trafi.

rayoflight

Post by rayoflight » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:55 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
rayoflight wrote:We are leaving Finland, but my husband continues to work for a Finnish company full time. He will be working remotely from India. Does anyone have any idea about the tax issues? Should/would he be charged tax here in Finland or India?
In India. If he does trips to Finland, they should be checked separately against the tax treaty.
rayoflight wrote:Also, we haven't sold our car yet and may have to leave it with our friends, but we don't have an address here, how would that work? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Not a problem. You just leave it there. You should keep the authorities aware of your address by keeping the population registry up to date (if either one of you is a Finnish citizen, you must). Paying taxes on the car is easier if you subscribe to e-invoices from Trafi.
Hey thanks a lot! We are UK nationals actually, but we will surely inform Maistratti. Yes, we have been paying e-invoices for trafi and insurance so that wouldn't be a problem.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:16 pm

rayoflight wrote:Hey thanks a lot! We are UK nationals actually, but we will surely inform Maistratti. Yes, we have been paying e-invoices for trafi and insurance so that wouldn't be a problem.
Actually one thing more. You need to mark your friends to the vehicle registry as the person in possession of the car as there seems to be requirement for that person to be a Finnish resident. You would want to update the registry any way to avoid paying for insurance and taxes.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2 ... 70893#L2P9

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:17 pm

betelgeuse wrote:Actually one thing more. You need to mark your friends to the vehicle registry as the person in possession of the car as there seems to be requirement for that person to be a Finnish resident. You would want to update the registry any way to avoid paying for insurance and taxes.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2 ... 70893#L2P9
Should have read that more clearly. If it's not in road use, then marking your friends is not required.

foca

Post by foca » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:41 pm

As for tax issues it goes like that.
You generally have to be taxed on income derived from a source in Finland.
So if you stay less than 6 months in Finland you can apply for a tax at source card with a fixed 35 per cent tax (it allows for 510 EuR deduction monthly). Additionally being a a U.K. National you can additionally apply for application of progressive taxaition. What you chose depends on your yearly income. Basically if you get over 30000 it is best if you apply for a progressive system.
Yet I do not know if they allow to apply for a progressive system if you do not stay in Finland at all (no address and all)...that needs to be checked
What do you want from me?????