Car Hire Insurance: Any Finnish companies cover this?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Cod

Post by Cod » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:25 pm

Hi,

Has anyone managed to get OP, or IF etc to cover your hire car insurance excess when you travel?

What do I mean?

I mean like these guys:

http://www.insurance4carhire.com/
This can be upwards of £1000 meaning if you're involved in an accident, you'll have to pay a contribution to cover the damage. With an annual car hire excess insurance policy from insurance4carhire, you're able to reclaim the excess you'd have to pay in the unfortunate event of an accident or your car being stolen.

I can use icarinsurance.com etc but was wondering if anyone had used a local insurance broker / firm - since I've found dealing with Finnish insurance companies pretty good.

For note, the downside of this approach is that you need a pretty solid credit card limit - as you'll get a bunch of credit ring-fenced by the car hire companies to cover their maximum excess, so when are hiring, then flying and hiring again - ie hiring from multiple companies, you need enough credit to cover multiple ringfencing (or so it seems).

Thanks in advance,
David
Last edited by Cod on Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Cod

Re: Car Hire Insurance: Any Finnish companies cover this?

Post by Cod » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:17 pm

..update.

Seems icarhireinsurance is still a pretty good deal despite cheesy website which gives the impression that these guys aren't so professional..(happens to the best of us)

https://www.icarhireinsurance.com/#0

..some comments made here..

http://www.pallontallaajat.net/pt3/kesk ... ic=32860.0

and actual policy summary is here..

file:///C:/Users/Admin/Desktop/2016-09_ichi_car_hire_kfpw_vawppc_nl.pdf

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:13 pm

I think that's the one I use. I have an annual subscription. Claimed once for a windscreen. No problems.

PJG

Post by PJG » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:33 am

http://www.insurance4carhire.com/europe ... -insurance

Looked at their website and under the 'What's not covered' it says:

"Policyholders who are not residents of the UK, The Netherlands, France, Spain, Italy, Republic of Ireland or Germany."

With a larger claim, you may find your cover is actually not valid.

I'd check it out more carefully if I were you...

Cod

Post by Cod » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:08 am

Thanks PJG.

The good news is that icarhireinsurance covers Finnish residents.

The one you mention doesn't.

Prices are comparable.

Other upside is that the icarhireinsurance covers windscreen, punctures, illness, lost keys, some personal item theft etc - and all for less than what car hire charge for basic Super CDW etc.

Amazingly, neither Autoliito nor Finnish travel journalism up to this day suggest this as an option for hiring abroad - just the usual sighing of how expensive Super CDW, LDW etc taken from hire company can be.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:11 am

And if you choose not to take excess cover, 'they' will do everything than can to find a scratch on your car because that is cash in the pocket for the car hire companies.

Cod

Post by Cod » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:27 pm

..which is why getting cover before you leave, having read the terms in peace and quiet well in advance is a great idea , I reckon .

stan

Post by stan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:51 am

Thanks Cod.

Having just moved to Finland and having just had to claim £390 for a small scratch from my previous excess insurer, I was looking for someone who would provide this insurance for Finnish residents.

The price is very similar to the price for my policy when I was a UK resident too.

Cod

Post by Cod » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:15 pm

Hi Stan, I didn't find one in the end. The UK based Icarinsurance guys seem to do the trick - at least pre-brexit.

Will use them again this year (or try to.

Do post back here if something else turns up this side of europe !

DMC

Post by DMC » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:57 pm

I don't hire cars too often, but do so occasionally. Twice this year so far, for example. I have hired cars in various countries since the 1980s and have never taken additional insurance, despite the "hard sell" from some companies. I have never had to pay for any damage to a hire car and never had any kind of accident in a car I have hired. I figure I am well ahead over the years, but of course I may just be more of risk-taker than some of the other posters here.

One thing I always do, though, is to check the car thoroughly on collection and ensure any pre-existing damage, however small, is noted on the hire contract and signed for by a rental company employee. I also take photos of any pre-existing damage and also photograph the car when I return it. I have never had to use these photos but it only costs nothing a couple of minutes of my time and could be useful. A few weeks ago a hire company in Spain were almost rude when I repeatedly declined their (extremely expensive) additional insurance, and then I noticed some scratches on the car when I picked it up. I suspect this might have been a problem had I not done my initial checks.