EU citizens and Finnish Citizenship

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Y77

Post by Y77 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:19 am

Are there any EU citizens that got Finnish citizenship? I'd like to know why you decided to get it, I don't see any obviuos advantages, since EU citizens have the same rights as Finnish, only disadvantages( 400 euros application fee and the 3-year tax rule in case you leave Finland, military service for the under 30, having an ID card with a swan on it instead of a cool animal like a bear or an eagle, and so on)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: EU citizens and Finnish Citizenship

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:21 am

Y77 wrote:Are there any EU citizens that got Finnish citizenship? I'd like to know why you decided to get it, I don't see any obviuos advantages, since EU citizens have the same rights as Finnish, only disadvantages( 400 euros application fee and the 3-year tax rule in case you leave Finland, military service for the under 30, having an ID card with a swan on it instead of a cool animal like a bear or an eagle, and so on)
You don't get to vote for parliament and president without it. In addition some government jobs are for citizens only.

Honest

Post by Honest » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:58 am

Y77 wrote:Are there any EU citizens that got Finnish citizenship? I'd like to know why you decided to get it, I don't see any obviuos advantages, since EU citizens have the same rights as Finnish, only disadvantages( 400 euros application fee and the 3-year tax rule in case you leave Finland, military service for the under 30, having an ID card with a swan on it instead of a cool animal like a bear or an eagle, and so on)
If you are living permanently in Finland and want to make it your home then why not serve in army? If you are a pacifist there are options available. Also you never know what's coming tomorrow.
British migrants who thought like you have a lot of worries after the Brexit vote. I would understand the idea of not applying for the citizenship if Finland would not allow dual citizenship.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:39 am

Ideally there would not be any advantages. EU means EU. I don't understand why permanent residents (EU citizens) don't have full voting rights. Especially if they are disenfranchised elsewhere (as many of us are). Military service is a can of worms since the whole system is discriminatory anyway.
Last edited by Rosamunda on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JK_Ironak

Post by JK_Ironak » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:30 pm

I'm planning on getting it one day at least so that I can easily visit USA, because currently my country (Croatia) has to go through the annoying visa process. Been there, done that once, no thank you. If my country gets same visa free status as Finland has, then I'll think about it... But still, if I plan on staying here for decades, I'd feel better being a citizen.

leisl

Post by leisl » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:58 pm

I have two EU citizenships, I took Finnish for emotional, nonsensical reasons :D

But it makes sense now as with Brexit going on my British citizenship might not give me EU residence rights in the future.