Finnair flight delay compensation

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Honest

Post by Honest » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:55 pm

If a domestic flight is delayed by 3-4 hours, can you get compensation for missed bus /train? They informed a couple of days before the flight but the tickets were already bought

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

riku2

Re: Finnair flight delay compensation

Post by riku2 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:57 pm

if they informed you a couple of days before the flight then that sounds more like "rescheduled" than "delayed'. EU261 is related to delays https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation_261/2004.
When i've had flights rescheduled the airline generally allows you to book another flight if the new time does not suit or cancel free of charge.

ronnie24

Post by ronnie24 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:45 am

The airlines contract is to get you from your place of departure to your place of arrival.

Once they get you to where you want to go anything after that is your problem unfortunately.

I was flying to one airport with SAS where I was going to get another flight with Ryanair.

SAS had technical problems on departure leaving us sitting on the plane for over an hour while they fixed it and as a result I was too late to get my Ryanair flight. When I complained to the SAS desk I got told that they had fulfilled their contractual agreement to get me to the airport and it's not their problem that I missed my connecting flight with another airline.

Honest

Post by Honest » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:59 am

One hour is not a unreasonably long delay for an international flight. It's never a good idea to make your own connection with very little margin of time. But 2-3 hours for a local flight with a total flight time of less than an hour is not reasonable in my opinion.

But their logic of contractual fulfilment doesn't sound very logical. If I make a contract with you to build your house in two months but it takes for me 2 years to complete the job, it can't be called a fulfilment of the contract. I should compensate for your rents and other costs. I'm not talking from a legal point of view as I don't know about the law relating to such issues, just my personal opinion.

masao

Post by masao » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:56 pm

Honest wrote:One hour is not a unreasonably long delay for an international flight. It's never a good idea to make your own connection with very little margin of time. But 2-3 hours for a local flight with a total flight time of less than an hour is not reasonable in my opinion.

But their logic of contractual fulfilment doesn't sound very logical. If I make a contract with you to build your house in two months but it takes for me 2 years to complete the job, it can't be called a fulfilment of the contract. I should compensate for your rents and other costs. I'm not talking from a legal point of view as I don't know about the law relating to such issues, just my personal opinion.
Last summer we were at Oulu airport waiting for Helsinki bound flight. The flight was late nearly three hours (but not three hours) and Finnair
offered us 15 Euros worth of refreshments at café and restaurants in the waiting area.
There were people who missed their connecting flights from Helsinki (transfer tickets) and Finnair arranged for them free accommodations and transportations.
My visitors also missed the connecting flights but they were in the separate tickets (you go out and check in again) and all my visitors got from Finnair was "Sorry,
but we can not do anything".

t, masao
Bone, Thugs, 'n' Harmony

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:01 am

masao wrote: Last summer we were at Oulu airport waiting for Helsinki bound flight. The flight was late nearly three hours (but not three hours) and Finnair
offered us 15 Euros worth of refreshments at café and restaurants in the waiting area.
There were people who missed their connecting flights from Helsinki (transfer tickets) and Finnair arranged for them free accommodations and transportations.
My visitors also missed the connecting flights but they were in the separate tickets (you go out and check in again) and all my visitors got from Finnair was "Sorry,
but we can not do anything".

t, masao
This is normal, if you buy the tickets separately you are doing the transfer on your own risk. I did that several times but I keep 1 day or more between the flights so that I'm sure I will make it to the next flight.