Identity Theft - Illegal?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
harryc

Post by harryc » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:24 am

Has ID theft become illegal as said in this article?

http://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/rise_ ... et/7534281

I can't understand why not illegal a priori.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

DMC

Re: Identity Theft - Illegal?

Post by DMC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:17 am

harryc wrote:I can't understand why not illegal a priori.
Perhaps identity theft is merely the technique used to commit some [other] crime, and the offender should be charged with the crime they commit. In the article you linked to the crime was the theft of a phone so they should be charged with that regardless of whether they pretended to be someone else. The only reason for making identity theft an offence is if someone could be guilty of that without being guilty of some other offence.That would make sense but I can't think of any likely scenario where identity theft could be a stand-alone offence rather than merely the modus operandi of a criminal who commits some other offence.

Post by 007 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:55 am

harryc wrote:Has ID theft become illegal as said in this article?

http://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/rise_ ... et/7534281

I can't understand why not illegal a priori.
In order to avoid confusion, I think some info could've been added such as published date of the article etc. in your post.

Anyway, it's a crime these days punishable by a fine. (Since punishment is just a fine, I am not sure if it's considered a crime.) prkl. It's like it's an illegal act but not crime....go figure

Identiteettivarkaus tuli rangaistavaksi 4.9.2015 voimaan tulleella lainuudistuksella (368/2015).[4] Rikoksen täyttymiseksi tekijän tulee erehdyttää kolmatta osapuolta ja aiheuttaa taloudellista vahinkoa tai vähäistä suurempaa haittaa uhrille. Teosta tuomitaan sakkorangaistus.[5]

Oikeudellisesti identiteettivarkaudessa voi olla kyse myös esimerkiksi väärän henkilötiedon antamisesta viranomaiselle (rikoslain 16. luku), petoksesta (rikoslain 36. luku) tai maksuvälinepetoksesta (rikoslain 37 luku).
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

harryc

Post by harryc » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:06 pm

"In order to avoid confusion, I think some info could've been added such as published date of the article etc. in your post."[/color][/i]

I am a stickler for making sure there is a date in this kind of article. It was there! Please look at top of article in usual YLE position.

Uutiset News
News 17.10.2014 11:30 | updated 17.10.2014 12:59

Rise in identity thefts, which are not against Finnish law – yet