Experiences with a restaurant

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
network_engineer

Post by network_engineer » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:35 pm

Hi all,

So, we went to this restaurant yesterday, with some guests. Apparently, some portions of the food (meat) was seemingly undercooked, and led to one of my children and me falling sick (nausea, vomiting, sick stomach). In fact, the younger one almost already started feeling nauseated at the restaurant itself, nd to me as well, seems the meat was not cooked enough.

Once the food is all "out", things are better.

How would I handle this? Report this back to the restaurant? Report this to health/ consumer authorities?

Thanks.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Moved!!! Experiences with a restaurant

Post by rinso » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:21 pm

The quick response suggest spoiled meat to me.
At least report it to the restaurant so they can try to prevent it next time.
The local health inspector can do very little since the food (and the packaging) is all gone.
But they keep track of complains and can adjust their inspection routine if necessary.

Rosamunda

Re: Moved!!! Experiences with a restaurant

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:13 pm

A similar thing happened to me (and a colleague) a couple of weeks ago. I think it was some creamy sauce that was served with a jacket potato (the only ingredient that we both had on our plates, we ordered different fillings). I never got around to going back to tell them what happened, but I should have. Anyway, I'm not going back there.

I am really careful what I eat in town nowadays as hygiene seems to be a serious issue in some places. I don't eat out a lot but I seem to get sick here more often than when I lived elsewhere. Got really sick on under-cooked chicken from a Mexican place here a couple of years ago.

If the culprit is under-cooked meat then, I agree with rinso, it's not something that Evira would worry about too much. But if you get sick from eating raw food, like salad, then it can be REALLY serious and should be reported immediately.

harryc

Re: Experiences with a restaurant

Post by harryc » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:30 pm

Just curious:

What kind of meat would cause that immediate result if JUST 'undercooked?'

Wouldn't it have to be almost rather badly spoiled?

Undercooked pork would produce trichinosos - at a much later date.
(not usual in Finland)

Undercooked chicken would cause salmonella with a lot more serious symptoms
(very rare in Finland - if ever)

rinso

Post by rinso » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:54 pm

harryc wrote:Just curious:

What kind of meat would cause that immediate result if JUST 'undercooked?'

Wouldn't it have to be almost rather badly spoiled?

Undercooked pork would produce trichinosos - at a much later date.
(not usual in Finland)

Undercooked chicken would cause salmonella with a lot more serious symptoms
(very rare in Finland - if ever)
Yes, effects from "good" but undercooked meat would take 12 - 24 hours, not an almost immediate response.
If uncooked meat was stored unrefrigerated for to long, enough toxins might develop to give a much faster response.

harryc

Post by harryc » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:43 pm

This isn't a cooking forum but --

What would be happening in 12-24 hours of 'cooked to rare' steak or paistijauheliha - that was not spoiled (fresh loooking and 'clean 'odor') -

I'm wondering because that's what I've been eating for a lifetime and have not had any ill effects.

(I'm rather suspucting Rosamuna's 'sauce')

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:52 pm

Your steak was probably OK.
https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kampylobakteerit is a culprit in undercooked meat (the FSA in the UK maintains that two-thirds of raw chicken purchased carries it) but it could be lots of other things. It's probably more likely to be something you ate with it: salad, coleslaw, mayo etc

Onset of symptoms varies depending on individual immune systems, gut lining etc. Anyone with a compromised immune system or an ulcer or any kind of digestive tract condition will get sicker quicker. Age is also a factor.