Lost residence permit and need to travel

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Upphew

Re: Lost residence permit and need to travel

Post by Upphew » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:19 am

tulwio wrote:Hey there people,
So some time ago, I have lost my wallet which also contained my residence permit that expires in august. I have waited sometime in hopes that the police may find it, but unfortunately that was not the case. So now I really don't have a physical resident permit card although I am registered in the system and I also have a Finnish ID issued for foreigners.
The issue is, something came up and I have to leave Finland to my country outside of EU, including a transit flight to another Schengen state. Seeing that I don't have the card right now, this would obviously imply that there might be some complications with travelling, especially to that transit state. Unfortunately, I cannot wait for a new card to be issue, it might take some time and my flight is somewhat urgent.

Is there a way to go around this, maybe some document or paper from migri or the police that would prove that I am a legal resident in Finland and thus do have the right to travel through an other Schengen state ? Coming back to Finland is not an issue here because I will be applying for a new card back in my home country. The only problem is getting there without waiting through the atrocious queue times which I sadly don't have the time for.

Appreciate your help !
Cheers.
You would have gotten the new card if you had applied for it before waiting some time. Dunno how fast you would get the new card, but since you have rp, it shouldn't take weeks.

http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:13 pm

If you go by appointment, and you have the police report with you, the case officers usually decide on your residence permit card application right at the counter, which means you get your new one in 1-2 weeks (more in exceptional cases).

Also, you don't really need a residence permit to exit Schengen. You'll fly from Finland to your layover country and exit Schengen from there, just show your passport, done.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:22 pm

Also, you don't really need a residence permit to exit Schengen. You'll fly from Finland to your layover country and exit Schengen from there, just show your passport, done.
Wrong -> you will need the residence permit when exiting also, even at check-in here in Helsinki. This is because they need to know if you are legally into a Schengen country.
If you for example overstayed your visa you will get automatically banned for 5-10 years.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:13 pm

tavastia wrote:Wrong -> you will need the residence permit when exiting also
I've never been asked to show my RP when travelling outside Schengen. Always only the passport for stamping and that's it. When entering, though, they naturally ask.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.