Required urgent guidance for stepping down to mystery land

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
CMSUTHAR

Post by CMSUTHAR » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:15 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am Chirag from India, I got employment opportunity in Porvoo, However I am thinking of staying at Helsinki considering larger and crowded town as we have in India.

It shall be great if you can share your views on following.

1) I am planning engineer ( Mechanical) with experience of approximately 9 Years in Oil & Gas filed experience and I am offered 3500 E per month.

- Can any one tell me is it average salary in Helsinki or it is on lower side? As in our head quarter in Munich we get aprox 5000 per month.
- Looking to various discussion I Understand I tried to calculate on hand salary by " http://prosentti.vero.fi/VPL2017/Sivut/Aloitus.aspx" link but it is showing only 22% Tax and + 7.15 % as a withholding so in total 29.15% deduction is it correct or am I missing something?
- Which place of the city I should be residing so commuting to Porvoo and Bilingual School both should be convenient? and how much rent I should expect for furnished house for our family of three? Do we here constraints as we have in germany like if I have baby than I must have two bedroom, hall , kitchen house or is it fine to have I bedroom, hall , kitchen house?

I shall be really obliged if you can spare time and share your opinion in coming week as I got to confirm my employer.

RegardsHello Everyone,

I am Chirag from India, I got employment opportunity in Porvoo, However I am thinking of staying at Helsinki considering larger and crowded town as we have in India.

It shall be great if you can share your views on following.

1) I am planning engineer ( Mechanical) with experience of approximately 9 Years in Oil & Gas filed experience and I am offered 3500 E per month.

- Can any one tell me is it average salary in Helsinki or it is on lower side? As in our head quarter in Munich we get aprox 5000 per month.
- Looking to various discussion I Understand I tried to calculate on hand salary by " http://prosentti.vero.fi/VPL2017/Sivut/Aloitus.aspx" link but it is showing only 22% Tax and + 7.15 % as a withholding so in total 29.15% deduction is it correct or am I missing something?
- I got a child and wife, who shall be staying here and I will also has to support my parents at home country with minimum 400 Euro per month. Shall be able to live descent lifestyle and save any money here or I should ask for more?
- Considering various post I feel like having minimu 500 to 700 Euro more to be in comfortable position. Do people here negotiate here. I mean if i ask them for 1000 and they freeze in between or I should tell them no go figure , How it should be?
- Which place of the city I should be residing so commuting to Porvoo and Bilingual School both should be convenient? and how much rent I should expect for furnished house for our family of three? Do we here constraints as we have in germany like if I have baby than I must have two bedroom, hall , kitchen house or is it fine to have I bedroom, hall , kitchen house?

I shall be really obliged if you can spare time and share your opinion in coming week as I got to confirm my employer.

Regards
Last edited by CMSUTHAR on Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Beep_Boop

Re: Required urgent guidance for stepping down to mystery la

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:01 pm

People negotiate everywhere. For your experience, that salary is abysmal! 3500 is what a junior mechanical engineer would get in a respectable place.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:29 pm

i would take the 5000e/month job in munich. I go there a lot (I live in Finland) and things are so much cheaper there. You can expect at least 2x the price in restaurants/cafes in Finland if not 3x the price. Even the same shops (lidl) charge much more in Finland than Germany. A bottle of sparkling water in Lidl germany is about 30 cents, in lidl Finland about 4x that. I didn't buy a used BMW in Dresden and drive it back to Finland just for the fun of it either (and it still saved me money despite the 8k euro tax bill from Finnish customs).

wife and child and you'll support them on 3500e!! you should expect the wife to be out at work too (although this depends on what skills she has). having a wife at home looking after a kid is not that common in finland (due to high cost of living and the tax system does not give any favours for this arrangement). as for having money left over to send back to parents overseas .. this is really into fantasy land.

The only good thing is that if you rent a flat in finland (furnished or unfurnished) it will come with a kitchen. For those who don't know about this in Germany, often when you rent a flat the "kitchen" is an empty room with connections for water,sewage and electricity. even though you rent you must fit out the kitchen with cabinets!!

As for the city lights of Helsinki giving you the feeling of a bustling India city.. that's another funny one. I recommend you stay in helsinki for a few weeks and decide if the city/country is for you. Bear in mind that +20 deg is considered a warm day in Finland and we might have a whole month with the temp below zero.. everyone still goes to work even if the temperature is -20 deg in helsinki.

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:08 pm

3500 for 9 years of experience...looks like someone is trying to underpay you. As the poser above me pointed out that even Germans have better pays despite comparatively cheaper country.
Image Image

gowthas

Post by gowthas » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:20 am

As mentioned above, a fresh Masters graduate from a Finnish university gets something between 3400-3700 euros per month. With 9 years of experience (assume that you have a Masters in your field), I would not go for below 4000 e/ month gross. Bear in mind that the more you earn, the more you pay back to Vero in taxes. Doing a simple math might shed some light!

Good luck!

inkku

Post by inkku » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:03 pm

Agree that your salary should be minimum e4000, perhaps closer to e5000pmgross if you have MSc and no perks included.

Eastern Helsinki might be suitable for you, since it is closer to Porvoo and the highway starts there.

Helsinki is semi-rural, so you would not get the feeling being in a big city.

Not sure about the location of schools. In Kulosaari there is an international school I believe?

Furnished houses are not so common, and tend to be expensive, perhaps if you find somebody going abroad for one or two years. Here your employer should help you.

Not sure how much rent In Eastern Helsinki could be, one bedroom unfurnished flat (around 45-55m2) perhaps e800-1100 depending how fancy, new etc. But that would be rather small. Your chances will improve if your employer takes the contract. For a furnished one, if via an agent, add several euro pm more.

podzap

Post by podzap » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:15 pm

Keep on dreaming. There is wishful thinking based on equality and social justice, etc, and then there is reality.

CMSUTHAR

Post by CMSUTHAR » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:37 pm

Thank you all for your valuable feedback

harryc

Post by harryc » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:35 am

Still - at the end of the day - Finland is not Germany - and vice versa

Negotiate etc. but choose where you want to live on something else than money - since you will be able to 'live' in Finland at a lower salary - that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get better - but Germany is still Germany.