electric connections

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
chriscross

electric connections

Post by chriscross » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:54 pm

hi guys,

does anyone know what companys can provide electrical connections to a cottage without electric

I might need connecting to the grid

thanks guys

chris

electric connections

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Jukka Aho

Re: electric connections

Post by Jukka Aho » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:04 am

chriscross wrote:does anyone know what companys can provide electrical connections to a cottage without electric

I might need connecting to the grid
While you can buy your electricity from various companies, the local power company has a state-designated monopoly in building the electrical grid in the area and connecting you to it (and charging energy transfer fees.)

See here for a zoomable map where you can click on the various localities to find out which company is responsible for the area where you cottage is located:

http://yle.fi/uutiset/3-6962987

Here’s an official list of those designated companies:

https://www.energiavirasto.fi/sahkoverkon-haltijat

Once you have found out what the expenses would be for getting connected to the grid in the first place (and what kind of grid-building/cable trench-digging work it would require), you can of course freely choose the company which will design and install the house internal wiring, sockets, switches, light fixtures, breaker panel, and whatnot.

If there’s a lot of digging involved and the local ISP/telco also has some conveniently-located point of presence in the area, maybe you’d also want to find out if there’s a possibility to get optical fiber installed in the same trench. Or maybe the power company themselves can provide something (not sure about this one, but some of them apparently have been moving into this direction.)

Some keywords for contractor searches: sähkösuunnittelu, sähköurakointi, sähköasennukset
znark

riku2

Post by riku2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:29 am

How far is the nearest electrical supply? when I had my house connected to the mains water supply 700m away (previously I had my own well) I shared the cost with a neighbour and the total was about 16k euro (we split that in two). This is the cost of putting a pipe underground and a couple of valves. For electrical supply I suppose it would be more since if overhead then there are the poles and fittings on each.

rinso

Post by rinso » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:03 pm

How far is the nearest electrical supply?
An isolated cable from a transformer normally runs 500 to 800 meters. If the high voltage lines (those 3 overhead uninsulated lines) are much further away it will become very costly.
For electrical supply I suppose it would be more since if overhead then there are the poles and fittings on each.
I needed to make a small change to an existing pole (changing support from cable to pole), it cost me €2000,-.
And if there is no clear path trees have to be cut down (need permission from the landowners).

podzap

Post by podzap » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:43 am

How much time do you spend at the place? It might be far cheaper to install some solar panels, or just buy a gas or diesel powered generator. Quite a lot of Finns use gas powered generators at their cottages. You can keep the noise down by surrounding it with dirt or bricks and placing a stryox board over the top.