YLE tax

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
harryc

YLE tax

Post by harryc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:10 pm

The present government holds a clear majority - why does the article say the change would require opposition parties? Is it some kind of 'revenue' question that needs some kind of 'super-majority?

(I can't understand, anyhow, why this YLE stuff isn't funded from general taxation - and thus more likely to be progressive)

+++++++++++++++++++

Yle tax could be abolished for more low-income people

If approved by opposition parties in Parliament, the plan would exempt anyone with income of 15,500-16,000 euros from paying the obligatory public-broadcasting tax. Those earning more than 21,000 euros annually would see their Yle tax rise slightly.

YLE tax

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: YLE tax

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:28 pm

harryc wrote:The present government holds a clear majority - why does the article say the change would require opposition parties? Is it some kind of 'revenue' question that needs some kind of 'super-majority?
It's not legally required. However, to at least maintain the appearance of Yle independence, it's customary to change Yle rules in co-operation with the opposition.

Jukka Aho

Re: YLE tax

Post by Jukka Aho » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:16 pm

harryc wrote:The present government holds a clear majority - why does the article say the change would require opposition parties? Is it some kind of 'revenue' question that needs some kind of 'super-majority?
The Act on Yleisradio Oy stipulates that a new Parliament is to elect a new 21-member Administrative Council for Yle in the very first session of the new parliamentary term. This is a point in time after a general election where a new Government has not yet been formed so the MPs and parties are operating without a clear division to government and opposition. The parties across the political spectrum have traditionally agreed to interpret Yle’s role in this scheme of things as being “Parliament’s radio” rather than “Government’s radio” — see this search for some statements from various politicians from left and right — and this standpoint is generally echoed in other decisions about Yle as well.
harryc wrote:(I can't understand, anyhow, why this YLE stuff isn't funded from general taxation - and thus more likely to be progressive)
As a direct extension of the above, subjecting Yle to Government’s budgetary discretion has generally been seen as an iffy proposition, tipping the balance of power to Government’s advantage.
znark