Speeding tickets: an attempt to steal money from people

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Marsh04

Post by Marsh04 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:04 am

They are thinking to make even 1 km above the limit an offence punishbable by speeding tickets.

1- I can't see any other reason than stealing money

2- A lot of ladies and some older men already think their cars' meters shows the right speed so already drive 5-7 km below the limit. Expect to have even worse situation as these two groups are also the ones most afraid of everything (police, tickets etc)

3- Government should be making laws to stop drink driving and controlling the behaviour of the teenagers as these are the two most dangerous groups on the roads. Injury to the other party in a drink driving incident should be treated as an attempted murder and death as a murder (there was a petition about it somewhere a little while ago but nothing will change as that results in more costs than income)

http://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/frida ... et/9621713

Two very recent incidents in one city alone but there are many more every week throughout the country

http://www.ts.fi/uutiset/paikalliset/35 ... nna+nuoria

http://www.ts.fi/uutiset/paikalliset/34 ... sairaalaan

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

riku2

Re: Speeding tickets: an attempt to steal money from people

Post by riku2 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:00 pm

i can also think of the huge number of people using mobile phones when driving and total disregard for speed limits through roadworks (ring 1 comes to mind at the moment).

but I think the government is only interested in raising revenue and not incurring any additional costs (average speed cameras, more enforcement by the police against mobile phone users).

any notion of caring about safety or the environment (pitiful take up of electric cars in Finland with Sweden having 10x as many and Norway 100x as many) is lost on the government in Finland.

harryc

Post by harryc » Fri May 19, 2017 12:01 pm

One km may be difficult to get thru on a tech basis - but something has to be done about these 'hot shots' who aren't even 'in a hurry' but think they are playing a video game - weaving around lanes - always having to be 'first' - and they aren't always 'kids.'

riku2

Post by riku2 » Fri May 19, 2017 12:38 pm

if you drive on any section of road in the UK that has average speed cameras (eg cambridge - huntingdon, about 20km) you will not see any hot shots - nobody exceeds the speed limit. nobody. and there is no stupid driving fast and braking just before the cameras either, which is a favourite activity in finland (or in the countryside driving on the wrong side of the road when going past speed cameras)

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Fri May 19, 2017 2:12 pm

They are thinking to make even 1 km above the limit an offence punishbable by speeding tickets.
It's quite a popular maneuver, particularly of Sipilä's government: let out some ridiculous, even outrageous proposal and come up with a mild version, after "listening" the public opinion. This version is, you may guess, pretty much what they wanted to get through from the beginning, and how can you not agree with such "reasonable" proposition... :roll:

Piet

Post by Piet » Fri May 19, 2017 5:59 pm

It depends on how you look at it, too fast is too fast, however there is a certain inaccuracy in the measuring equipment, this must be compensated before the resulting speed is processed.
From my time in Holland I know that there is a certain percentage or amount in speed you have to deduct from the measured speed to compensate for the inaccuracy of the measuring equipment. I believe in Holland that was 3km an hour below 100km/h and 4 km an hour above 100km/h.

In effect this will mean that if you use your (quality) GPS to measure your speed over a long trajectory, you can find a far more accurate speed than your speedometer in your car.
If you use this corrected speed and never go over it, you will always be in the safe zone.

For me it will mean that I have to slow down a little to stay in the safe zone 8) , I use to drive by GPS just under 7km/h too fast, the limit they send you a ticket nowadays (last year that was still 8 km/h I think)
I also noticed the First camera on the ring 3 after Espoo Keskusta in the direction of helsinki, always (more than 6 times in 2 weeks time) flashed me at 84, nut I never got a ticket, not even a warning letter. I guess I will have to slow down a bit more now (if it passes). :lol:

And think on the bright side, you will use less gasoline, so its better for your wallet. :lightbulb: :thumbsup:
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

Honest

Post by Honest » Fri May 19, 2017 7:20 pm

If people drive like Piet there would not be much problem at least in the flow of the traffic. But there are ladies who already drive at 35 in 50km/h and then there are also some men with the same level of driving skills as most of the slow ladies, they will further slow down the traffic if the rules are changed.

harryc

Post by harryc » Fri May 19, 2017 8:37 pm

I drive a LOT - the 35/50 types are FEW and FAR between!

I just got home from a Hki-Inkoo round trip and there were oodles of 'idiots' thinking they were playing 'Fast and Furious' - in and out of lanes - going in bus lane to go around someone driving at 80 the limit - etc etc etc. Plus red light runners.

I'm glad for a REAL tightening of speed limits and dangerous drivings - I really do't see how it adds more 35/50s.

harryc

Post by harryc » Mon May 22, 2017 9:18 am

As I have said - I do not believe the people who now drive slowly are going to drive significantly slower if there is tighter enforcement.

BUT - yesterday I encountered 3 of what I think is a real menace re slow driving -3 of those 'Microcars' - tiny boxes about 2/3 the size of the old Fiat 600. The drivers of these cars are in their 20's and somehow are enjoying the chaos they cause!

Another problem in countryside is the farmer with his 15 km/hr trailer in front of a train of maybe 15-20 cars unable to pass. Congrats to the farmers carrying on their profession - but there is an approved method to alleviate this situation with the tractor pulling over onto a bus stop, etc. every time they have built up a large 'following.' Idiots are attempting to pas anyhow in EXTREMELY dangerous places! The hell with the idiot but they usually take out the OTHER car!