Car rental fees in Finland, any hidden charges?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
gowthas

Post by gowthas » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:55 am

I am doing a road trip in Lapland this July and reserved a car at Rovaniemi airport (pick up & return). I booked through HOLIDAYAUTOS but BUDGET is the local company that is renting the car out.

It costs me around 190 euros and wonder if there could be any hidden charges (i.e. additional insurance). The price includes Breakdown assistance, Collision damage waiver (CDW), Theft waiver (TW), Third party liability protection (TP). However, the price DOES NOT include Excess Liability (Excludes tax) and Extra insurance.

Now my question is, do car rental companies in Finland force people to buy this excess liability insurance? Will they ask me to pay another 100+ euros or something at the desk? (this happened to me once in Croatia where they forced me to buy additional insurance even though the online price was almost half of what they charged from me).

Please share your experiences if you have done it so before in Finland. Appreciate that!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Car rental fees in Finland, any hidden charges?

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:18 am

gowthas wrote: Now my question is, do car rental companies in Finland force people to buy this excess liability insurance? Will they ask me to pay another 100+ euros or something at the desk? (this happened to me once in Croatia where they forced me to buy additional insurance even though the online price was almost half of what they charged from me).
The law requires cars to have unlimited third party liability. I doubt there's any function for excess liability insurance in Finland.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:20 am

betelgeuse wrote:The law requires cars to have unlimited third party liability. I doubt there's any function for excess liability insurance in Finland.
I stand corrected after checking. There is a cap of 5 million euros for damage to objects (not people).

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/alkup/2016 ... p431554544

DMC

Post by DMC » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:30 pm

I think gowthas means something different to that.
In some (many/most?) places when you rent a car you are liable for the first X euro of any damage, and the insurance kicks in for anything above that. It is possible to purchase additional insurance to cover that X euro. I think that may be what gowthas refers to. If so then no, car rental companies in Finland do not force renters to take out such insurance. At least whenever I have rented a car in Finland I have been offered that insurance but have always declined and never had any problem. I guess it is always possible that some company might make such insurance mandatory to rent from them but I doubt it.

gowthas

Post by gowthas » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:13 pm

DMC wrote:I think gowthas means something different to that.
In some (many/most?) places when you rent a car you are liable for the first X euro of any damage, and the insurance kicks in for anything above that. It is possible to purchase additional insurance to cover that X euro. I think that may be what gowthas refers to. If so then no, car rental companies in Finland do not force renters to take out such insurance. At least whenever I have rented a car in Finland I have been offered that insurance but have always declined and never had any problem. I guess it is always possible that some company might make such insurance mandatory to rent from them but I doubt it.

Thanks for the reply guys!

DMC, this is exactly what I was looking for and thanks again!

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:16 pm

DMC wrote:In some (many/most?) places when you rent a car you are liable for the first X euro of any damage, and the insurance kicks in for anything above that. It is possible to purchase additional insurance to cover that X euro. I think that may be what gowthas refers to. If so then no, car rental companies in Finland do not force renters to take out such insurance. At least whenever I have rented a car in Finland I have been offered that insurance but have always declined and never had any problem. I guess it is always possible that some company might make such insurance mandatory to rent from them but I doubt it.
If it's not possible to decline, it must be included in the quoted base price.

DMC

Post by DMC » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:05 pm

betelgeuse wrote:If it's not possible to decline, it must be included in the quoted base price.
That would certainly be better for the customer. Do you know if that is enforced by law?

In the UK I have faced very hard sell tactics to take up that insurance but have never taken it. I can imagine that some people might come away with the impression that it is mandatory when in reality it is optional. In Finland it has always been "Do you want it, yes or no?" and that has been it.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:20 pm

DMC wrote:
betelgeuse wrote:If it's not possible to decline, it must be included in the quoted base price.
That would certainly be better for the customer. Do you know if that is enforced by law?
It is. That is what what I refer to with must.

Jakelondon

Post by Jakelondon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:22 pm

gowthas wrote:I am doing a road trip in Lapland this July and reserved a car at Rovaniemi airport (pick up & return). I booked through sirent but Ganxorent is the local company that is renting the car out.

It costs me around 190 euros and wonder if there could be any hidden charges (i.e. additional insurance). The price includes Breakdown assistance, Collision damage waiver (CDW), Theft waiver (TW), Third party liability protection (TP). However, the price DOES NOT include Excess Liability (Excludes tax) and Extra insurance.

Now my question is, do car rental companies in Finland force people to buy this excess liability insurance? Will they ask me to pay another 100+ euros or something at the desk? (this happened to me once in Croatia where they forced me to buy additional insurance even though the online price was almost half of what they charged from me).

Please share your experiences if you have done it so before in Finland. Appreciate that!

My experiences in Finland on renting a car are that surcharge for winter tyres is bit strange but total price are still competitive usually. You know, each company has its own conditions, that means that some of them includes already a FULL INSURANCE, others you need to buy it extra, others you need to bought it at the same office. Then you need to read its own condition before going to pick up the car because if not, you will find a suprise :D