Renewal of student residence permit

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Beep_Boop

Re: Renewal of student residence permit

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:07 pm

I don't know what you should do or what you're allowed to do, but I can tell you what I would personally do. I'd just renew it before the exchange period. It's still valid in the Schengen area for travels, and you don't know what will happen during your exchange studies, what if you needed to come back to Finland for some reason? In my opinion, the peace of mind is worth it.

Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:52 pm

Beep_Boop wrote:I don't know what you should do or what you're allowed to do, but I can tell you what I would personally do. I'd just renew it before the exchange period. It's still valid in the Schengen area for travels, and you don't know what will happen during your exchange studies, what if you needed to come back to Finland for some reason? In my opinion, the peace of mind is worth it.
One potential downside I see is looking into how Migri study progressing tracking works. I assume in this situation it's not a problem as long as the exchange results in credits in Finland.
tulwio wrote: Do I still have to renew my permit on August or can I postpone it until I am about to come back from my exchange period ? I tried asking this to the local migri office but I did not get a straight answer and the school where I study did not have much information about situations like this.
You probably want to renew because otherwise your next application will be handled as the first application and will cost more. However, you are not required by law to do this. You are only required to hold a residence permit in Finland to physically be here on a non tourist status (for the purpose of this answer we can skip things like asylum).