B type permit and health insurance

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
numb

Post by numb » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:28 pm

Dear All,
I'm a non-eu citizen, continuously living in Finland since August 2013. I'm a doctoral researcher and during the past years my residence permit was B-type permit based on studies since I had short term fundings and was working on the side. This year I applied for a researcher permit as I have a full-time research grant from a finnish foundation for 2 years 9 months.
I received my decision last week, which is B type researcher permit covering my whole funding period until October 2019. (previous permits were 1 year only.)
So my questions are:

_As far as I understood from the migri site, a researcher should be receiving at least 1,187euros to apply for a residence permit for an employed person (A type permit). My grant is 2,360euros but I still received a B-type permit. I assume this is because I'm receiving a 'grant' not a 'salary' Is this correct?

_When I previously applied for a permit based on studies I was requested to submit a health insurance since I'm not covered by Kela. When applying for a researcher I wasn't asked to do so. Now I'm a bit confused about my health insurance situation. As a person with B-type residence permit, I think I'm still not covered by finnish heath insurance, is this correct?

Since 2013, I've been working part-time (ranging between 4 to 18 hours weekly, depending on the period) and receiving grants for shorter periods (project grants, 1 year fulltime research grant, 4 months fellowship etc.) So I want to get to know my rights regarding health insurance a bit better.

Thank you for all the help!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: B type permit and health insurance

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:47 pm

numb wrote: _As far as I understood from the migri site, a researcher should be receiving at least 1,187euros to apply for a residence permit for an employed person (A type permit). My grant is 2,360euros but I still received a B-type permit. I assume this is because I'm receiving a 'grant' not a 'salary' Is this correct?
B vs. A is not really about the amount of euros but the nature of work. Migri has not deemed your situation to be "employment of continuous nature".
numb wrote: _When I previously applied for a permit based on studies I was requested to submit a health insurance since I'm not covered by Kela. When applying for a researcher I wasn't asked to do so. Now I'm a bit confused about my health insurance situation. As a person with B-type residence permit, I think I'm still not covered by finnish heath insurance, is this correct?
Ask your Maistraatti whether you have a municipality of residence. If you have one, it does not matter which type of residence permit you have.
numb wrote: Since 2013, I've been working part-time (ranging between 4 to 18 hours weekly, depending on the period) and receiving grants for shorter periods (project grants, 1 year fulltime research grant, 4 months fellowship etc.) So I want to get to know my rights regarding health insurance a bit better.
To cover drugs, are you covered by Kela currently? Assuming the grant is Finnish, you should be able to get in.

http://www.kela.fi/web/en/from-other-co ... esearchers

numb

Post by numb » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:13 pm

Thank you very much for the reply.
I would like to ask what do you mean by ""employment of continuous nature"? I suppose a continuos doctoral research would be a failed doctoral research since the whole point is to finish and get a degree eventually :) However people are allowed to apply for an A type permit as a doctoral researcher. I don't understand in what conditions it would be considered as continuos? The only thing that makes sense is that I'm receiving a grant and not a salary (not employed by the university - receiving grant from the foundation.) I just want to understand.

_I have home municipality in Finland since my degree is longer than 2 years but it still required me to get a private health insurance upto 30 000 euro. And for drugs I'm not covered by Kela. I've never been in contact with Kela since I've been told that b-type residence permit do not allow you to do so.

But this section from the link you sent from Kela is confusing for me: "However, if your work continues for more than one year, you have financing for more than one year and all other circumstances also indicate permanent residence in Finland, you can, as a rule, be covered under the Finnish social security system.
If you pursue research work or postgraduate studies financed through a Finnish grant for at least four months, you can be covered under the Finnish social security system. The grant must be insured under the Farmers' Pensions Act (MYEL). "

My work continues more than one year- my financing continues for more than one year -my grant is eligible to be insured under MYEL- but what is this "other circumstances also indicate permanent residence"

Thanks again!

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:27 pm

numb wrote: I would like to ask what do you mean by ""employment of continuous nature"? I suppose a continuos doctoral research would be a failed doctoral research since the whole point is to finish and get a degree eventually :) However people are allowed to apply for an A type permit as a doctoral researcher. I don't understand in what conditions it would be considered as continuos? The only thing that makes sense is that I'm receiving a grant and not a salary (not employed by the university - receiving grant from the foundation.) I just want to understand.
Grants are not employment. People on grants for doctoral research can use the application processes for students or researchers. If you are on salary, you have also access to the employment based process. For more details see for example sections 45 and 47 of the Aliens Act.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokset ... 040301.pdf
numb wrote: _I have home municipality in Finland since my degree is longer than 2 years but it still required me to get a private health insurance upto 30 000 euro. And for drugs I'm not covered by Kela. I've never been in contact with Kela since I've been told that b-type residence permit do not allow you to do so.
The insurance requirement is because of Kela and drugs. The insurance is not required to cover anything else than drugs. Drugs can be expensive.
numb wrote:But this section from the link you sent from Kela is confusing for me:
You loose nothing but time applying so if you don't understand what the page says, just put the application in and see what the result is.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:30 pm

emptied because of accidental duplication of previous post was supposed to fix typo with loose

numb

Post by numb » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:46 pm

You loose nothing but time applying so if you don't understand what the page says, just put the application in and see what the result is.
I booked an appointment from Kela to know what is the situation before applying. Thanks for the info, I didn't think that I might be eligible to apply.

But I have to say I don't understand what you are saying about the drugs because the health insure I was required to take do not cover drugs. It is exclusively for medical treatment expenses.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:45 pm

numb wrote:But I have to say I don't understand what you are saying about the drugs because the health insure I was required to take do not cover drugs. It is exclusively for medical treatment expenses.
Then Migri should have rejected the insurance as insufficient.