Is Malminkartano a good neighbourhood to live in for long?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
lkpro91

Post by lkpro91 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:42 am

Hi,

We are considering buying an apartment in Malminkartano. The housing price is pretty low here compared to other areas in Helsinki but we've heard a lot of negative things about it. To be honest, we are worried more about the future of our kids. At least we want them to be safe, hang out with good people, and go to good schools.

If you think Malminkartano is not the right place, can you suggest us some other areas? :D

Cheers,

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Piet

Re: Is Malminkartano a good neighbourhood to live in for lon

Post by Piet » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:04 pm

lkpro91 wrote:Hi,

We are considering buying an apartment in Malminkartano. The housing price is pretty low here compared to other areas in Helsinki but we've heard a lot of negative things about it. To be honest, we are worried more about the future of our kids. At least we want them to be safe, hang out with good people, and go to good schools.

If you think Malminkartano is not the right place, can you suggest us some other areas? :D

Cheers,
Just consider this: Why are the housing prices low? And you will have your answer!

My advise would be: if you want to buy a house and do not care about the value getting up or down because you plan on living there forever (figure of speech), then by all means go and buy it in a little place outside of Kehä III, a more rural place, the downside is no 4 lidl's just around the corner and further to drive to Biltema Prisma and Motonet, Bauhaus and University. Benefit: soooo much more house for your money, much safer than the city, clean air (more healthy living), more freedom, a bigger garden, lots of forest around you, etc.

But that is my personal opinion, I would never ever in my life go and live in Helsinki period, no matter what neighbourhood,
(but for sure not Malminkartano, to much of my friends live there :lol: ).
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:25 pm

lkpro91 wrote:The housing price is pretty low here compared to other areas in Helsinki but we've heard a lot of negative things about it. To be honest, we are worried more about the future of our kids. At least we want them to be safe, hang out with good people, and go to good schools.
Define safe environment and good schools. You could reasonably argue that by, for example, US standards there are no unsafe places or bad schools in the capital region.

Piet

Post by Piet » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:16 pm

betelgeuse wrote: Define safe environment and good schools. You could reasonably argue that by, for example, US standards there are no unsafe places or bad schools in the capital region.
Image Image Image
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

irnbru

Post by irnbru » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:35 pm

I think in some ways it's better to let your kids grow up in a "bad" area in Finland. They get a little streetwise. Which will stand them in good stead when they get in their 20s and go travelling. If they grow up in nowheremäki where nothing bad ever happens. They'll be in trouble when they inevitably end up in a real situation. A "bad" area in Finland will have a few drunks around the station and some low level theft.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:00 pm

The "bad" areas in Finland are still on-par with, if not better than, the "normal" areas somewhere like the U.S.

Finland is a very egalitarian country, so your living experience (in terms of essential services, safety, schools, etc.) doesn't correlate to the geographical location where choose to reside*. You'll find good people and bad people in pretty much any area. Your chances of having fights with your neighbours are largely unaffected by where you decide to live **. If you're already in this part of the country, go talk a walk in that neighbourhood and see how you feel about it.

* Within reason, of course.. this assumes cities and their close-by suburbs.
** Largely affected by the distance to said neighbours, though.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:46 am

I've lived in Kannelmäki from 2009 - 2015, and frequently visited Malminkartano.

now it depends upon which part/street of Malminkartano are we talking about here.

If you mean next to Railway station then yes that place can be a congregation for drunktards, like any railway station in Uusimaa region where shops and bars are just next to it. However, if you compare it with Detroit or Chicago then it is quite safe. You won't see gangbangers with handguns.... or even safer than London to be honest (yahoos in moppet and acid attacks?)

out of sheer morbid curiosity, how much are they asking?
Image Image