how to get info on pending court case form abroad

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
scottledeuce

Post by scottledeuce » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:31 pm

Hi all,

Had a lovely scenario where I got assaulted by a lovely Iraqi citizen while waiting for a train in Helsinki a few months ago.

the guy was arrested and I was more than happy to pursue charges and compensation however I'm no longer permanently resident in Finland.
I have been in contact with the arresting officer and he referred me to the "[email protected]" email to order a copy of my statement.

I was also informed the case has been sent to the prosecutor but no more info was given.
How do these things normally go? In a perfect world I'd love to know when the court date is and be there myself to see justice being served but from what I gave the police I believe all the info they got from me is my finnish social security number.

as far as being able to contact me I guess they have my email but I'm a bit worried they don't seem to interested in keeping me informed about whats going on here epically since I had property stolen and there is a case for compensation.
does anyone have any idea on what i should do to make sure I'm informed of what justice is handed down (preferably in advance)

thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: how to get info on pending court case form abroad

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:58 pm

scottledeuce wrote: I was also informed the case has been sent to the prosecutor but no more info was given.
https://oikeus.fi/en/index/esitteet/jos ... iheet.html
For instance, in cases where there is nothing to prove that an offence has been committed, the offence is minor or a settlement has been reached, the prosecutor may decide not to bring charges. The victim has the right to be informed about the prosecutor's decision not to prosecute. If the victim has during the criminal investigation declared that he or she requests the offender to be punished, he or she can bring charges even if the prosecutor decides not to prosecute.
scottledeuce wrote: How do these things normally go? In a perfect world I'd love to know when the court date is and be there myself to see justice being served but from what I gave the police I believe all the info they got from me is my finnish social security number.
There are no social security numbers in Finland. It's a personal identity code. The distinction is important.
scottledeuce wrote: as far as being able to contact me I guess they have my email but I'm a bit worried they don't seem to interested in keeping me informed about whats going on here epically since I had property stolen and there is a case for compensation.
When you moved abroad you had the obligation to record your foreign address in the population register. Make sure your address in the register is current so that they can send you mail.

scottledeuce

Post by scottledeuce » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:43 pm

thanks for the info on the procedure, that was a really useful link.

as regards updating my address I did update maistraatti with the address I moved to but since then I have moved apartment again and I have no way to update the details on maistraatti as I no longer have a finnish bank account/login identifiers so it's possible they don't have up to date info on where I live/phone number.

I guess I will send maistraatti a general email asking what someone can do in this case but the most important thing to me seems to be now that the case is gone to the prosecutor that they can contact me regarding any sort of resolution.getting a bit afraid if I'm not proactive they will just drop the case

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:21 pm

scottledeuce wrote:as regards updating my address I did update maistraatti with the address I moved to but since then I have moved apartment again and I have no way to update the details on maistraatti as I no longer have a finnish bank account/login identifiers so it's possible they don't have up to date info on where I live/phone number.
This process probably works even if you are not a Finnish citizen.

https://www.maistraatti.fi/en/Services/ ... e-Finland/