American Express Green Card Worth it?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
sky2

Post by sky2 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:32 pm

Are there any benefits of using this card in Finland? It costs 70€/year, is it worth it?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tavastia

Re: American Express Green Card Worth it?

Post by tavastia » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:53 pm

Nop! Also Dinners on the same situation. You may use your Dinners to get into lounges and sometimes is worth..

Keravalainen

Post by Keravalainen » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:06 pm

Hi!
American Express and Diners Card don't work here as the only credit card.
- Many shops refuse to take them, since they are much more expensive to the merchant than other cards like VIsa or MarterCard.

Take either Visa or Mastercard from your bank as your credit card, and you'll be fine with that card in Finland. It's accepted almost everywhere.

harryc

Post by harryc » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:20 pm

I was one of the first Amex cardholders in Finland and also running a company accepting cc's.

IMO - it's a tremendous hoax - they count on a person impressing someone that they hv an Amex card. It has NOTHING to with spending less money.

Merchants (save airlines etc.) pay 3-5% commission and also lose out with an extra 24% via ALV. Those merchants MUST make it up with pricing. VISA and Master charge about 0.5-0.7% - a cost that can be absorbed with same pricing. Companies that must pay attention to prices CANNOT accept Amex.

Sure - Amex throws in a few bingles/bangles - but in the end the 'Average Joe or Mary' loses out!