Exchanging a foreign driving licence for a Finnish licence

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
deeponline

Post by deeponline » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:22 am

Hi All,

I am permanently resident in Finland and have a valid driving licence issued in India. I want to exchange my driving licence as there is rule that if I apply within two years after becoming permanently resident in Finland, I need not to appear for the driving examination. I can also save money as the exchanging rate is much more lower than applying for a fresh application.

Now the problem is I got my Indian driving license just one month before arriving in finland i.e. issuing month was august 2016. But here as per rule, one need to have atleast six months of experience of driving. I learnt the four wheeler driving before coming here and got the license in India after proper examination.

Is there any chance that the finland authority will reject my application based on that rule. It'll be helpful to know anybody's experience in this regard if any. Note that I don't have any car as of now but planning to do so shortly if I get the license.

Thanks for your support.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Exchanging a foreign driving licence for a Finnish licen

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:40 am

deeponline wrote: I am permanently resident in Finland and have a valid driving licence issued in India. I want to exchange my driving licence as there is rule that if I apply within two years after becoming permanently resident in Finland, I need not to appear for the driving examination. I can also save money as the exchanging rate is much more lower than applying for a fresh application.
There is such a rule.

https://www.trafi.fi/en/road/i_have_a_d ... sh_licence
deeponline wrote: Now the problem is I got my Indian driving license just one month before arriving in finland i.e. issuing month was august 2016. But here as per rule, one need to have atleast six months of experience of driving. I learnt the four wheeler driving before coming here and got the license in India after proper examination.

Is there any chance that the finland authority will reject my application based on that rule. It'll be helpful to know anybody's experience in this regard if any. Note that I don't have any car as of now but planning to do so shortly if I get the license.
The six months needs to be in Finland. This means the earliest you can exchange the license is after six months as a resident. Until that time you will use your Indian license to drive.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:43 pm

deeponline wrote:Hi All,

Now the problem is I got my Indian driving license just one month before arriving in finland i.e. issuing month was august 2016. But here as per rule, one need to have atleast six months of experience of driving. I learnt the four wheeler driving before coming here and got the license in India after proper examination.

Is there any chance that the finland authority will reject my application based on that rule.
When I exchanged my license in Finland, I had renewed it just prior to moving here. The clerk refused to exchange my license until I showed proof that I had a driving license for more than one year before coming to Finland. I was able to produce an old expired license, and they accepted that. If you only had a license for the first time one month in India, this might cause a problem.

abadddddon

Post by abadddddon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:44 pm

Heretostay , did you show your old license or a copy of it? Cause i'm facing the same issue now, i have driving license since 2005 but i had to renew it cause it expired so now my renewed license carry a new date. How can i prove to Ajovarma that this is a renewed one not first driving license?

thanks,

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:58 am

abadddddon wrote:Heretostay , did you show your old license or a copy of it? Cause i'm facing the same issue now, i have driving license since 2005 but i had to renew it cause it expired so now my renewed license carry a new date. How can i prove to Ajovarma that this is a renewed one not first driving license?

thanks,

I had to produce the original and give it to them.

Kainguci

Re: Exchanging a foreign driving licence for a Finnish licence

Post by Kainguci » Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:38 pm

Hi, is there an update on this, was your license exchanged or did you have to re do your test? I am in a similar situation, i have got my UK license in June 2021 and moved to Finland in December 2021, i have been driving ever since in Finland as the rules and signs are almost the exact same, now in July 7 months in Finland with that experience of driving in Finland plus any other in the UK I have submitted the form for exchange and worried it would get rejected