Tori.fi Fraud - Please suggest.

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
HighHopes

Post by HighHopes » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:16 pm

I wanted to purchase a computer listed on tori.fi. I suggested the seller that I can pay her cash on delivery as the amount was not small (>1000€). The seller (Finnish name) insisted that she cannot send the computer before she sees the money in her account and she needs the money quicker because of Christmas. My mistake, I thought Finnish people are very honest, so I paid the money to her account. And she disappeared after that.

Now what are my options other than blaming myself? Looking at previous threads on this forum, I understood that I won't get the money back. It's not the small amount for me but now it's not even about money, I want to believe in the Finnish system. I want to make sure that she doesn't get away with my hard-earned money easily. Please suggest, what everything I can do in this situation?

Thanks.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sparkleBlinking123

Re: Tori.fi Fraud - Please suggest.

Post by sparkleBlinking123 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:32 pm

You've paid for your lesson, :(. I am sorry to hear that, the only thing you can do now is submit a crime report to the police. Try to contact your bank and show them all of your evidence about the fraud case, maybe they could give you her real name + address.

rinso

Post by rinso » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:03 am

When we buy from Tori.fi or Huutu we insist on collecting in person or payment on delivery.
If that is not possible; no deal. Honest sellers will try to accommodate you so any objection is suspicious.

HighHopes

Post by HighHopes » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:49 am

rinso wrote:When we buy from Tori.fi or Huutu we insist on collecting in person or payment on delivery.
If that is not possible; no deal. Honest sellers will try to accommodate you so any objection is suspicious.
Thanks. I just learned the hard way. Could you suggest what are the legal options that I could avail, if any?

Marsh04

Post by Marsh04 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:07 pm

All legal options are discussed in previous threads. There is not much you can do other than adding your name to the long list of people who are waiting for their money from the seller.

One important lesson to be learnt is not to judge people from their names and appearances.

Piet

Post by Piet » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Marsh04 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:07 pm
All legal options are discussed in previous threads. There is not much you can do other than adding your name to the long list of people who are waiting for their money from the seller.

One important lesson to be learnt is not to judge people from their names and appearances.
Sadly some of these threads have been removed, including the one we just started up to collect the scammer's details in a list, to prevent future abuse.
Like www.scamwarners.com does.

Apparently the moderators / administrators of this forum are not wanting to assist to prevent these things from happening. Our warnings against certain people have been removed. :thumbsdown:

Edit, I guess it is safe to say that the admins are more scared of a scammer that wants to remain anonymous, suing them (see the contradiction in that?) than to prevent fraud on internet.
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

HighHopes

Post by HighHopes » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:47 pm

Marsh04 wrote:
So basically you can do any financial fraud in this country without worrying for having to face any consequences. Right?
Marsh04 wrote:
I didn't judge anyone based on names and appearances. I was talking about general perception. I would, for example, less likely to send money to some Nigerian king's widow to transfer billions of euros in my account.

Post by 007 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:36 pm

HighHopes wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:47 pm
Marsh04 wrote:
So basically you can do any financial fraud in this country without worrying for having to face any consequences. Right?
No, it's not black and white. Financial frauds if proved guilty come to haunt you to your grave. Finland is actually very harsh on financial frauds. However, what you are dealing here is a common problem in societies like Finland.

Individuals are entitled to basic subsistence by law. So, in a way, this makes people who already live on basic subsistence almost immune to any kinds of punishments. You cannot put them to jail because a) it's not gonna change their behavior b) it's costly to the society.

On the other hand, you cannot sell their only TV or a sofa or a bed to cover for the payment.

I've been cheated too. This junkie who cheated me had cheated so many other people that in a letter sent to us by a court had at least 6 complainants including one of his own next-door neighbors.
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

harakka

Post by harakka » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:42 am

rinso wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:03 am
When we buy from Tori.fi or Huutu we insist on collecting in person or payment on delivery.
If a seller declines from using payment on delivery, it doesn't necessarily mean they're a fraud. Payment on delivery is risky for the seller. If a dishonest buyer doesn't pick up the item from the post office, it is returned to the sender. If the sender wants to get the item back from Posti, they have to pay a ~10 € fee in addition to the postage and the payment on delivery fee they have already paid.

Yes, I've agreed to using payment on delivery once, and I'll never do it again.

--

Personally I'd never buy computers, phones etc. from huuto.net/tori.fi, but especially from tori which doesn't have a feedback system like huuto.net does.

Marsh04

Post by Marsh04 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:51 pm

Best option is to tell them that you or your friend will collect in person even if you have no intention to do so. If the seller disagrees it's already a clear warming to be extremely careful.

Piet

Post by Piet » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:28 pm

What also seems to work is to ask their address and tell you will be paying with a foreign bank that checks if the address belongs to the bank account, without the correct address your bank will block the payment.

When they back out (it is suddenly already sold) you know it was as scam.
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

winsiebunny

Post by winsiebunny » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:42 pm

Hello, I have been the victim of a fraud too. The sum was around 200 euros.I got the court decision some time ago, there are other victims too. According to the court decision, the fraudster has to pay a fine and pay the victims the money back. But until now I didn't get a penny back. I think it is just as the previous thread said, people in certain situation in Finland really are immune to punishments for this kind of crime and it costs the society heavily to punish her (yes in my case, the fraudster is female). Well I think we really can't do nothing much except for filing a crime report and learn the lesson. PS, the fraudster is from Espoo and her last name is St.Croix. She faked her name as Roxanne Lahti in tori.fi. So people, when you see a Roxanne Lahti, she is probably the same fraudster and don't buy from her!!!!!!

HighHopes

Post by HighHopes » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:24 pm

winsiebunny wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:42 pm
Hello, I have been the victim of a fraud too. The sum was around 200 euros.I got the court decision some time ago, there are other victims too. According to the court decision, the fraudster has to pay a fine and pay the victims the money back. But until now I didn't get a penny back. I think it is just as the previous thread said, people in certain situation in Finland really are immune to punishments for this kind of crime and it costs the society heavily to punish her (yes in my case, the fraudster is female). Well I think we really can't do nothing much except for filing a crime report and learn the lesson. PS, the fraudster is from Espoo and her last name is St.Croix. She faked her name as Roxanne Lahti in tori.fi. So people, when you see a Roxanne Lahti, she is probably the same fraudster and don't buy from her!!!!!!
How long did it take to hear from the court after filing the complain?

winsiebunny

Post by winsiebunny » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:06 pm

HighHopes wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:24 pm
winsiebunny wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:42 pm
How long did it take to hear from the court after filing the complain?
i think in my case it took almost a year. i dont know which bank you used for the transaction. attach the screenshot of bank transfer while filing the crime report. after the police issues you a report, you can contact your bank with the report and see if they could do charge back. banks could charge back if the transaction made with credit card. it is not hopeful when you use bank transfer for the transaction, but it is worth a try and good anyway to let your bank know that sum of money of yours went to the fraudster. just my experience and opinion.