Visiting Oulu Tips for Winter

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
sasayins

Post by sasayins » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:35 pm

Hey Guys! I'll visit Oulu this coming January and I'll stay for the whole month for business purposes. And it's my first time to experience winter in a European country. Any tips what should I expect in winter season? I checked weather forecast and temp range from -1 to -6. What kind of winter clothes should I buy or bring? I mean what type of clothing material? Should I bring very thick wool or fleece jacket or water proof clothes? What about the shoes? Should I bring my leather booths? Thanks guys! Please kindly give some advise or tips to prepare for this Finland winter adventure. :) Thanks

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Re: Visiting Oulu Tips for Winter

Post by 007 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:21 pm

sasayins wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:35 pm
Hey Guys! I'll visit Oulu this coming January and I'll stay for the whole month for business purposes. And it's my first time to experience winter in a European country. Any tips what should I expect in winter season? I checked weather forecast and temp range from -1 to -6. What kind of winter clothes should I buy or bring? I mean what type of clothing material? Should I bring very thick wool or fleece jacket or water proof clothes? What about the shoes? Should I bring my leather booths? Thanks guys! Please kindly give some advise or tips to prepare for this Finland winter adventure. :) Thanks
Months of January and Februrary are without a doubt the coldest ones. I haven't cheched the forecast but temp dips below -20 easily during Jan/Feb. Just yesterday, we had below -16 (was -19 at some point).

Regarding clothes, it depends how you gonna spend your time. If you are always inside and in a car, you don't really need layers of clothes.

For outside activities, a pair of winter boots that have good rubber soles, fleece jacket (surprisingly warmer than wool), water-/wind-proof jacket (thickness should depend on how long you gonna stay outside), good woolen cap/hat that covers the ears, really good pair of wind/water-proof gloves etc are way to go.

And yes, a reflector that hangs somewhere in your jacket as it's dark majority of the time. Also a muffler if you want. Long jones too, a must.

If you are into adventures, there's lots of winter activies in and a bit far from Oulu. Check ouka.fi
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

sasayins

Post by sasayins » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:35 pm

007 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:21 pm
sasayins wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:35 pm
Months of January and Februrary are without a doubt the coldest ones. I haven't cheched the forecast but temp dips below -20 easily during Jan/Feb. Just yesterday, we had below -16 (was -19 at some point).

Regarding clothes, it depends how you gonna spend your time. If you are always inside and in a car, you don't really need layers of clothes.

For outside activities, a pair of winter boots that have good rubber soles, fleece jacket (surprisingly warmer than wool), water-/wind-proof jacket (thickness should depend on how long you gonna stay outside), good woolen cap/hat that covers the ears, really good pair of wind/water-proof gloves etc are way to go.

And yes, a reflector that hangs somewhere in your jacket as it's dark majority of the time. Also a muffler if you want. Long jones too, a must.

If you are into adventures, there's lots of winter activies in and a bit far from Oulu. Check ouka.fi
That's so cold. During weekdays i'll just stay inside because of work and probably 30-45 minutes commute in a bus. And weekends, I think just strolling near at the square or other places near in my place so probably just 5-6 hours. Thanks for the informative reply. I'll keep note on this.. and I'll try to window shop for this clothing materials. thanks

And do you know any good store that sell quality puukku knives and some wood mugs?

Post by 007 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:06 am

And do you know any good store that sell quality puukku knives and some wood mugs?
I don't know about the qualities but those are sold in almost every big shops eg citymarket, prisma, kärkkäinen, tokmanni etc. In big sport shops eg xxl, you will get more options.

There's actually one shop at ideapark where they sell those stuffs and seem to pretty expensive.

Unfortunately, one big chain shop (erätukku) went bust about a year ago.
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

DMC

Post by DMC » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:18 pm

sasayins wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:35 pm
Almost anywhere sells that sort of thing. For example, my local opticians carries a range of knives.

I don't know Oulu but many places have a "craft work" store and you can get some good pieces in those places.

Caniwi

Post by Caniwi » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:46 pm

Hey I’m entering the a ski race that finishes in Oulu, Tervahiihto ,very curious how cold it was? Given that i own no winter clothing the plan is to land in Kemi and not freeze

harakka

Post by harakka » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:30 pm

Here's a handy video guide made in Oulu - what to wear in -5, -15 and -30 degrees.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/3-8579388

Caniwi

Post by Caniwi » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:42 am

Well I made an interesting discovery about cold weather coming from 33c to -23c. Clothing was no problem but my lungs struggled to adapt to dry cold air. The first time I required asthma inhalers to cope with breathing difficulties