division of property after divorce

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
sam_001

Post by sam_001 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:18 am

Hi,

Can someone please tell me how is usually assets divided between spouses. For example, If husband has bought the home solely on his own money, has majorly contributed to the running expenses of the house, car and its maintenance is also paid by husband. Wife has been working but has only contributed to some expenses of the house but that's it. Is the husband still going to lose half of his property?

Sam

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Beep_Boop

Re: division of property after divorce

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:39 am

Normally, in most cases of a reasonably long marriage, the property of both spouses is added together and then divided equally, usually regardless of who paid for what. However, each case is different and you cannot measure what your case will be depending on arbitrary anecdotes from other people. These things are usually decided by the käräjäoikeus (district court) and its appointed people.

Some factors that change the division proportion is whether or not you have made an avioehtosopimus (prenup) or in cases where the marriage only lasted a couple of years.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Oombongo

Re: division of property after divorce

Post by Oombongo » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:52 pm

avioehtosopimus, these days, is as important as using contraceptives to avoid any undesirable circumstances in future.

Speaking of that, it would be also a good idea to have two legal councils, one for each of you to avoid any unexpected surprises down the line namely signed without proper legal representation, paperwork wasn’t properly filed, or the agreement was coerced and signed under duress. How is it in Finland? Anyone to do some course correction por favor?
Image Image