Is it legal to shoot on own property

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
DavidDury

Post by DavidDury » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:52 am

Hi,

I recently become landowner (few hectares) in country side where I plan to build a house and I could join the local hunting group and start hunting. However I have to get a hunting license first and then apply for rifle permit, etc. One question came to my mind is it legal to shoot on your own property with a legally own rifle? I mean if I will put few cans in the back yard can I shoot at them, is it legal?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Beep_Boop

Re: Is it legal to shoot on own property

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:11 am

The Shooting Range Act has an exception for "small and occasional shooting". It doesn't specifically mention land owners shooting on their land, but a reasonable person would deduct that it applies in this case. It hasn't been challenged and I don't foresee that happening, and the police seem to be going with that definition.

I'd recommend making sure that any neighbours within gun-hearing distance are informed about your activities. They might report gun shooting and you'll have to deal with unnecessary police questions. They might also report noise disturbance, and the police might act on that. It's a lot better to just agree with your neighbours (if you have any) than to deal with police visits.

I'd also recommend making a backstop of some sorts, like a dirt ramp or something. You really really really (and I cannot stress this enough) don't want to take any chance of any bullet flying somewhere it shouldn't. You'll be royally effed if a bullet flies to the road or near a neighbour's house.

I've personally shot a lot on friends' land on many occasions. If you have a body of water on your land, it's even more fun as you can shoot across it to get a better line-of-sight range if your land otherwise has a lot of trees and vegetation.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

DavidDury

Post by DavidDury » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:57 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. There are neighbors and of course I'll have to discuss with them also. The property is not flat and in one part has a small hill that can be used for a backstop. However one more question and that is related to hunting. If I understood it right I can join my property to the local hunting group and therefore I can hunt on my property. My question is how it goes for hunting white tail deer and moose for example? Usually people they organize the hunting with dogs etc. The licenses are given to hunting group right? Therefore if I have my property joined to the group and my self member of the group then I can walk in the backyard and hunt some white tail right? Can I arrange some feeding place on my property and a stalking cabin? What about small game animals: roe deers, rabits, phasens, foxes, raccoon dogs, ducks, can I freely hunt them without asking the group permission? If I understood it right you can hunt them without a license?

An example: My property is joined to the local hunting group and I am a member of the group. The group gets 50 white tail deer licenses and 5 moose.
- can I freely go in the backyard and hunt a white tail deer?
- Do I have to ask permissions from the group leader and inform them that I will hunt on that date on my property by stalking for example?
- I believe I am not allowed to hunt a moose alone, way to big animal?

I believe the instructions are given at the group level, what kind of animals should be shoot like female, bucks, how many points, etc?

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:20 pm

No you cannot. Take the exam, get the licence and all the firearms paperwork first. Most of your questions will be answered when you do the theory tests.

You are right that the permits for moose are issued to the hunting club and only they can decide when and how they are used (and by whom). As a rookie, you'll be quite low down the list.

You can shoot eg hare on your own land as long as you are hunting during the hunting season.

Have you already been invited to join the local hunting club? Some are notoriously difficult to get into. Invitation only and long waiting lists.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:11 am

Rosamunda wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:20 pm
Some are notoriously difficult to get into. Invitation only and long waiting lists.
and some ethnic restrictions as well.

@OP As for your hunting questions, I don't have knowledge related to that. I only do target shooting these days. Better ask the people at the hunting club you want to join or something.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:51 am

DavidDury wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:57 pm
Hi,

Thanks for your answer. There are neighbors and of course I'll have to discuss with them also. The property is not flat and in one part has a small hill that can be used for a backstop. However one more question and that is related to hunting. If I understood it right I can join my property to the local hunting group and therefore I can hunt on my property. My question is how it goes for hunting white tail deer and moose for example? Usually people they organize the hunting with dogs etc. The licenses are given to hunting group right? Therefore if I have my property joined to the group and my self member of the group then I can walk in the backyard and hunt some white tail right? Can I arrange some feeding place on my property and a stalking cabin? What about small game animals: roe deers, rabits, phasens, foxes, raccoon dogs, ducks, can I freely hunt them without asking the group permission? If I understood it right you can hunt them without a license?

An example: My property is joined to the local hunting group and I am a member of the group. The group gets 50 white tail deer licenses and 5 moose.
- can I freely go in the backyard and hunt a white tail deer?
- Do I have to ask permissions from the group leader and inform them that I will hunt on that date on my property by stalking for example?
- I believe I am not allowed to hunt a moose alone, way to big animal?

I believe the instructions are given at the group level, what kind of animals should be shoot like female, bucks, how many points, etc?
Have you looked at wildlife agency's web site? riista.fi
You need license for moose, deer etc. larger game. If the hunting group gets 50 licenses then it is up to them how they are distributed.
Afaik you usually rent your land's hunting rights to the hunting group you join.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.