Neighbours complaining

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Post Reply
biz_it
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 4:31 am

Neighbours complaining

Post by biz_it » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:55 am

Hi,

We are a couple with two kids who do things that normal kids do. Play, run, cry, laugh etc. Our kids mostly sleep before 2200 and wakeup after 0700. Sometimes on weekends, they sleep a bit late (around 2300) etc.

The neighbours downstairs have been sending humiliating and threatning letters to us. They usually drop their letters around early morning (between 0500 to 0600) when we are sleeping. They accuse us that we stomp, run and jump around and bang on radiators (waiit..that is something that has never happened, we never let our kids play near the radiators)

I wish they had enough balls to confront me face to face. Atleast I would like to understand what the exact problem was. I am now getting concerned that they might harm me physically if that are that much irritated with us. Honestly, I tried my best to understand what kind of noise could be troubling the neighbours but my kids just look like normal playing kids. I cannot stop them from walking around the flat

Can someone please suggest what should be a good procedure to follow. Should I show all those letters to police or should I call the housing company first? Our building seems to have some kind of committee but I have never met them before

Regards
AZ


We provide BI and Data warehousing solutions. Please visit www.aricrypta.com for further information

Neighbours complaining

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

User avatar
sky2
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Neighbours complaining

Post by sky2 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:12 am

biz_it wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:55 am
I wish they had enough balls to confront me face to face.
biz_it wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:55 am
I am now getting concerned that they might harm me physically
oh come on.. :|
'merican? moved to Finland recently?


jack2012
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Re: Neighbours complaining

Post by jack2012 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:15 pm

sky2 wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:12 am
biz_it wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:55 am
I wish they had enough balls to confront me face to face.
biz_it wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:55 am
I am now getting concerned that they might harm me physically
oh come on.. :|
'merican? moved to Finland recently?
What is purpose of your comment?


jack2012
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:58 pm

Re: Neighbours complaining

Post by jack2012 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:17 pm

biz_it wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:55 am
Hi,

We are a couple with two kids who do things that normal kids do. Play, run, cry, laugh etc. Our kids mostly sleep before 2200 and wakeup after 0700. Sometimes on weekends, they sleep a bit late (around 2300) etc.

The neighbours downstairs have been sending humiliating and threatning letters to us. They usually drop their letters around early morning (between 0500 to 0600) when we are sleeping. They accuse us that we stomp, run and jump around and bang on radiators (waiit..that is something that has never happened, we never let our kids play near the radiators)

I wish they had enough balls to confront me face to face. Atleast I would like to understand what the exact problem was. I am now getting concerned that they might harm me physically if that are that much irritated with us. Honestly, I tried my best to understand what kind of noise could be troubling the neighbours but my kids just look like normal playing kids. I cannot stop them from walking around the flat

Can someone please suggest what should be a good procedure to follow. Should I show all those letters to police or should I call the housing company first? Our building seems to have some kind of committee but I have never met them before

Regards
AZ
Sorry to hear it. I would say, you should first inform housing company. If it is housing company then you would get good support; if you are referring to broker agency then they wont do anything. If you feel threaten, you can inform Police with letters but Police wont do much as well :)


User avatar
AnnikaL
Posts: 194
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 3:48 pm
Location: In front of my computer

Re: Neighbours complaining

Post by AnnikaL » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:28 pm

I don't really know about these housing associations, I only lived here in an apartment for four months. First month, flat above was empty. Then a family moved in. It was footsteps, day and night. Lots of thumps. Sounded like dead bodies being dragged across the floor at times. Doubt they were doing anything other than living their lives but sound can really travel in these apartments, I guess. It never bothered me, but I can see it would drive some people to distraction. In my view, those people are not meant for apartment living! Definitely their problem, not yours, though might be hard to convince they are being unreasonable, especially if they happened to have, say, one lone neighbour before. Good luck sorting it out.

Also... Letter writing? Yes, kind of lame.
Image Image
Hämä-hämähäkki kiipes langalle


metsämurmeli
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:16 pm

Re: Neighbours complaining

Post by metsämurmeli » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:12 am

How about you show you have balls and go and talk to them? In general folks here are extremely tolerant when it is about kids. And then try to claim it is really YOU who does the noise, hehe. Anyway, talking is certainly the best thing. You can try first face to face, or go to the house company. Either way, remember you are a guest in their country, most probably. And Finnish is the language here. If you do not speak it well enough:

Puhutko englantia? = Do you speak English?
Anteeksi, että en osaa puhua Suomea (enää). = Sorry I do not speak Finnish (yet).

Also you may want to remember that we are in general less confrontational here, and not really impressed with people who want to prove they are boss. You both have a problem, and you want to solve that problem. And you are more than willing to listen to their side, and actually find solutions.


heretostay
Posts: 129
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Neighbours complaining

Post by heretostay » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:03 am

metsämurmeli wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:12 am

Anteeksi, että en osaa puhua Suomea (enää). = Sorry I do not speak Finnish (yet).
I think you should use ‘vielä’ and not ‘enää’ which actually means ‘any more’


biz_it
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 4:31 am

Re: Neighbours complaining

Post by biz_it » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:31 am

metsämurmeli wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:12 am
How about you show you have balls and go and talk to them? In general folks here are extremely tolerant when it is about kids. And then try to claim it is really YOU who does the noise, hehe. Anyway, talking is certainly the best thing. You can try first face to face, or go to the house company. Either way, remember you are a guest in their country, most probably. And Finnish is the language here. If you do not speak it well enough:

Puhutko englantia? = Do you speak English?
Anteeksi, että en osaa puhua Suomea (enää). = Sorry I do not speak Finnish (yet).

Also you may want to remember that we are in general less confrontational here, and not really impressed with people who want to prove they are boss. You both have a problem, and you want to solve that problem. And you are more than willing to listen to their side, and actually find solutions.
The problem is that the person is sending it anonymously. I am only guessing that it is the person living below our apartment but that is only a guess. I have not personally seen the person as they always drop the letter around early morning when we are asleep.

I called the housing manager and explained the situation. He said that Kids playing, running or walking is normal sound. If someone has a problem, they should have called the house manager. Sending a letter fifth time simply seems like harassment. I have sent him the scanned letters. He said will will see what he can do.
We provide BI and Data warehousing solutions. Please visit www.aricrypta.com for further information


Y77
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:52 am

Re: Neighbours complaining

Post by Y77 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:19 pm

if it works like in the UK, there is the normal type of noise caused by everyday living, which is ok and people that live in flats should simply live with it, anything above that can constitute "statutory nuisance", which is a breach of the tenancy agreement and you could eventually be evicted.

Having said that, if you get those letters between 5 and 6am, it's probably from people working shifts, for which having kids above you making noise till 10 or 11pm is a bit too much, which is understandable, if you wake up at 4.30 am and need 8 hrs sleep, it means going to bed at 8.30pm..of course sending threatening letters is not ok.


metsämurmeli
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:16 pm

Re: Neighbours complaining

Post by metsämurmeli » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:59 am

heretostay wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:03 am
metsämurmeli wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:12 am

Anteeksi, että en osaa puhua Suomea (enää). = Sorry I do not speak Finnish (yet).
I think you should use ‘vielä’ and not ‘enää’ which actually means ‘any more’
Thanks!


User avatar
Karhunkoski
Posts: 7028
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:44 pm
Location: Keski-Suomi

Re: Neighbours complaining

Post by Karhunkoski » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:46 pm

Just pin the letters in the communal hallway, together with your own note saying that you would be delighted to discuss the problem, but unfortunately the troubled party forgot to sign their name.
Political correctness is the belief that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.


User avatar
Tiina_Finn23
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:35 pm

Re: Neighbours complaining

Post by Tiina_Finn23 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:56 pm

Karhunkoski wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:46 pm
Just pin the letters in the communal hallway, together with your own note saying that you would be delighted to discuss the problem, but unfortunately the troubled party forgot to sign their name.
I agree with this! Call them out and politely offer to talk (though be prepared for an anonymous reply!)

The anonymous letters would stress me out too, purely for the fact that they are anonymous and keep coming. I live in an apartment here and I can hear a lot of stomping from upstairs but I am used to it and actually I go to bed very late anyway (I try to keep everything very quiet after 11pm myself).

Actually after living in London for almost ten years in various flats, where you could hear neighbours talking, fighting, having sex and washing machines being put on in the middle of the night, I am finding Finland very quiet in comparison. I imagine the complainer works odd hours and is struggling to get to sleep and is rather cranky and taking it out on you. Hopefully they get some ear plugs or move to a house. Good luck x


Post Reply