Doctors?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Mizu1993

Doctors?

Post by Mizu1993 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:19 pm

From my home country, I am used that I can see a doctor whenever I want (except weekends) and get help immediately. But here it is much more harder. I don't know what to do. I have a back problem since 2 month, after I gave birth. I also have to say that not even the doctors in the hospital could speak english. I was 1 week there, without a translator....impossible. I visited a few doctors here already, because of different reasons. No matter what the problem is, they can't solve it. I always hear "I don't know" or "We can't do anything" from doctors. How can that be? So what should I do? My back gets worse with every day, I go to massages every 2 weeks, that is the only thing that I found so far what I can do. I can't be too much absend from my family either. My fiancee is working and I have a 3 month old baby to take care of. I live in Tampere, for a big city, it should be possible to have doctors around, right?

Doctors?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Keravalainen

Re: Doctors?

Post by Keravalainen » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:02 pm

Hi!
You can get an appointment to a doctor here at private healthcare immediately tomorrow...
over 100 vacant appointments at Terveystealo, Mehiläinen etc!
But... don't expect to get them cheap - be prepared to pay!
- - But isn't your personal health worth it, since you are in a hurry and complaining?

If you want to get a doctor's appointment at public heathcare (cheaper!), be prepared to wait some time.

biryvih

Post by biryvih » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:49 pm

From my home country, I am used that I can see a doctor whenever I want (except weekends) and get help immediately.
Sorry to hear about your situation, but you can always try private, I think you will get it right away, but it is gonna cost a bit. In public sectors it takes time to get the appointment, but you can try going to hospital and explain your situation to the nurse and make a personal request it can work, sometimes when they see the severity of the problem, they often try to squeeze some time for you.
that not even the doctors in the hospital could speak english. I was 1 week there, without a translator....impossible.
When you are making the appointment, request them to provide you the doctor with the English language skills.

I would love to give you the benefit of doubt, but my experience says otherwise. I have lived in a "village" population 2000 people and somewhat conservative, but my doctor was fluent in English. I have lived in a town with 12000 people and my doctor was perfect in English. I have visited physiotherapist (back problem) in a town with 5000 population, and guess what, the doctor was kind and spoke perfect English. I am living in a town with roughly 15000 people and so far I have visited doctors multiple times, and doctors speak pretty good English, I made a complaint about a doctor once and requested to replace with someone else and they did that for me. So it is little hard to believe that in Tampere doctors aren't speaking English. I can be wrong of course, but I told you my experience in much much smaller places.

burak25

Post by burak25 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:11 am

I was once hospitalized in my life and it was in TAYS. They all speak great English (up to medical terms that I might not understand with my native language anyways) and offered me translator in my own language if requested. I also been to clinics etc many times and always had decent English speakers. I am not sure about the quality but language is definitely not a barrier.

metsämurmeli

Post by metsämurmeli » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:56 am

I doubt anyone anywhere on this earth can study medicine without knowing a fair amount of English. What I have heard from others, though, is that some expect you to speak one of the 2 national languages when you use the public health care. You may just have been unlucky, or did not present the problem well. English is NOT a national language. So if you expect them to talk English with you, I suggest to ask nicely. I personally had to explain to Docs that I am totally learning Finnish, for them to relax. Never met one that would continue with Finnish, once I explained.

IMO, Finland is a mixture of very high quality medicine, and a fair amount of fatalism plus saving money wherever possible. I have met a lot of "oh you have pain? tough love" even from private health care docs. They just cost more, the service is not necessarily beyond the "take an aspirin" approach of the public sector.

Could you go to neuvola, asking nicely for English, and either have them counsel you, or ask around for a good Doc or physiotherapist? Massage every 2 weeks for an acute back pain after birth seems not remotely enough.

Piet

Post by Piet » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:49 pm

metsämurmeli wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:56 am
I doubt anyone anywhere on this earth can study medicine without knowing a fair amount of English. What I have heard from others, though, is that some expect you to speak one of the 2 national languages when you use the public health care. You may just have been unlucky, or did not present the problem well. English is NOT a national language. So if you expect them to talk English with you, I suggest to ask nicely. I personally had to explain to Docs that I am totally learning Finnish, for them to relax. Never met one that would continue with Finnish, once I explained.

IMO, Finland is a mixture of very high quality medicine, and a fair amount of fatalism plus saving money wherever possible. I have met a lot of "oh you have pain? tough love" even from private health care docs. They just cost more, the service is not necessarily beyond the "take an aspirin" approach of the public sector.

Could you go to neuvola, asking nicely for English, and either have them counsel you, or ask around for a good Doc or physiotherapist? Massage every 2 weeks for an acute back pain after birth seems not remotely enough.
Back pain after giving birth is not so uncommon, and it needs time to get better, it will take sometimes more than a year, depends on the place of the pain and the reason for it.
In general you cannot do anything else than prescribe painkillers for this, however you do not want painkillers if you are breastfeeding (advised). Those chemicals end up in the mother milk and are by definition not healthy for the newborn.

Shortly: learn to live with the pain for now, try resting as much as possible (take naps same time as the newborn) and when you sleep, put a soft pillow between your upper legs when you lay on your side.
Your mattress is very important and should be adjusted to you weight (an adjustable bottom under the mattress could help, see ikea).

Basically an MRI, CT or Röntgen picture of your spine should show any problem with the disks in your back if the problem is there, but this is rarely the case. symptoms would be more like unexplained pain in other parts of your body than you back itself due to nerves being squeezed.

One thing that will for sure help you: start doing stomach exercises to strengthen your belly muscles (sit ups etc), these muscles are severely impacted by your pregnancy and are very very important in helping your back to stay straight (and therefore prevent pain to develop). you need to get these into shape again as quickly as possible to relieve the pressure on the disks in your back.

A massage will only help your back muscles to relax, this will not prevent the pain from coming back.

Good luck!
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

Talvenloppu

talking is not so easy

Post by Talvenloppu » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:50 pm

Moi Mizu1993

I hope you have found Piet's reply helpful and are feeling at least a little better.

Stress can make any pain much harder to bear so I just wanted to chip in to share the experiences I have of healthcare here (in a city of 70,000) with regard to English speaking doctors. You're not alone!

Finnish doctors speak English very well. The basic education in Finland, combined with a diet of US movies etc, means that virtually everyone under 40yrs of age speaks English to at least a functional degree. Added to this is that much of the university and then professional education is carried out either atotally, almost entirely, or partially in English. As such a volume of expert information is published in English and as international practice is conducted in English it is inconceivable that Finnish doctors do not have sufficient fluency to be able to consult in English. Unfortunately there are two problems with this.

The first is that in my experience Finns are extremely sensitive to "losing face" so if they feel they cannot do something to an "acceptable standard" they simply will refuse to do it. In hospitals I have witnessed the racalcitrance caused by this severly compromise the care given to terminally ill patients. If you go to to Ensiapu/A&E/Accident and Energency at a hospital make sure if you can that you are well dressed.

Secondly, perhaps as Finnish doctors are seen to be the good doctors and foreign doctors - who make up an increasing proportion of public healthcare doctors these days (and have poor or non-existant English) - to be bad doctors, the time of Finnish doctors is allocated to Finns and of the foreign doctors to foreigners. My own experience is, that despite detailing and stressing my need to consult with English speaking doctors (privately and publicly, in person and via their respective call-centres) and having that need acknowledged and agreed, I am still invariably referred to Russian/Turkish/Greek speaking doctors.

The general advice for foreigners here regarding healthcare is I have found:- go private or go home, or perhaps more succinctly simply: go home. In my experience, if you are in some way integrated/sponsored by a Finnish group (a family or business), you will be cared for "lovingly". However if you are or if you become an outsider then life is tough. I have found this to be an unforgiving place.

Good luck to you and voimaa

biryvih

Post by biryvih » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:56 pm

Oh wow this is still going on?
If you go to to Ensiapu/A&E/Accident and Emergency at a hospital make sure if you can that you are well dressed.
How come I have never seen this? You can read my earlier post where I have mentioned about my experience in different cities. And to be honest, this is the most interesting and weird sentence I have ever read. I never dressed "nicely", the only thing I have done and still do, is to be polite.
go private or go home
Never heard that ever.
if you are in some way integrated/sponsored by a Finnish group
You mean you need a Finnish to hold your hand and take you to doctor? I don't have any of this and yet I have never been refused any service.. I live in a small town, and I remember I was looking for a place in the hospital and I went to info and spoke English and the nurse couldn't speak/understand, but she got what I was looking for, she walked with me and showed me the exact place.

And once in the same place, I had an appointment and the nurse called me and told me I have appointment with "abc doctor" I told her, I feel like this doctor is incompetent or doesn't understand my needs, and she swapped another doctor for me. and we did all this in English language... and I should speak Finnish and I do up to some extent, but I have a bad habit of speaking English and I for some reason continue to do so... but never have I ever felt whatever this post described so far... so I apologize if my post sounds a bit harsh, but I do know some people who don't get their things done, because they believe "everything should be done according to their desire" and often their things are stuck... so maybe that is the case..

metsämurmeli

Post by metsämurmeli » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:35 am

Piet wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:49 pm

Back pain after giving birth is not so uncommon, and it needs time to get better, it will take sometimes more than a year, depends on the place of the pain and the reason for it.

A massage will only help your back muscles to relax, this will not prevent the pain from coming back.

Good luck!
Yeah, untreated it can take many months. Of course it is quite common, and depends a lot on the general fitness of the mother before birth. No, massage does not only help the back muscles to relax. Apart of the discs, Piet mentions, it is most often ligaments, fasciae etc. that were overburdened, overstretched, etc. Fasciae tend to get stuck together (we call it glued together, in my language, no clue about English), and that can fix itself over time, or not. No telling via internet. Very often you have the choice to hope it does fix itself over time, and be in pain for many months, or just see a physio a couple times, and have it fixed within weeks, in easy cases days. As for exercise, don't just do a random exercise. Since OP probably speaks and reads German: Google the term "Rückbildungsgymnastik"

rupun

Post by rupun » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:01 pm

Keravalainen wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:02 pm
- - But isn't your personal health worth it, since you are in a hurry and complaining?
Correct! I have a moral problem with it though: Why pay taxes for this rubbish level of coverage?
metsämurmeli wrote:
English is NOT a national language. So if you expect them to talk English with you, I suggest to ask nicely.
Strange, how the tax office adjusts to all the global language needs. A number of nouns and adjectives come to mind. Subtly said! :evil:
metsämurmeli wrote:
a fair amount of fatalism plus saving money wherever possible.
Fatalism. True. Money Saving. True. In fact, I recently recall reading more on this new types of diabetes study. It was commented that the study was primarily a way to reduce costs and medicines to diabetics, particularly insulin. So, e.g. a sugar value of 9 was considered previously very high, now it is a good value if you are diabetic and don't need insulin! Same with fats, one year they say Coconut oil is the best, next year, they say it is the worst, and the cycle repeats. These studies, much like the touted healthcare system aren't worth the paper they are printed on! They have some good doctors though, guarded by a bastion of idiots in the primary healthcare.
metsämurmeli wrote:
IMO, Finland is a mixture of very high quality medicine.
Very high quality medicine? Where? Finns (and I cannot confidently say most of EU) do NOT understand the difference between 'availability of healthcare' and 'quality of healthcare'. Grew up in a hospital environment, parent was a health care provider. Most of my current family, incuding extended ones as well. So, yes, I know what I am talking about.

This is skill in healthcare, NOT what Finland has. Sure, there are few good doctors, that in Finland, is the exception, not the norm.
Talvenloppu wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:50 pm
The first is that in my experience Finns are extremely sensitive to "losing face"
Apologies for being cynical, but er, what face? I say this because of below, see the quote on visiting the ER.
Talvenloppu wrote:
so if they feel they cannot do something to an "acceptable standard" they simply will refuse to do it.
Does that translate into I cannot speak English well, so let the patient die? Er, one must bring up the concept of values here.
Talvenloppu wrote:
If you go to to Ensiapu/A&E/Accident and Energency at a hospital make sure if you can that you are well dressed.
Thanks for that. I have often quoted the same, and as a reason why I avoid the terveyskeskus, and go private. In fact, I have quoted the same thing when people say Finland is a more or less a society of equals! And I say No! My experiences tell me otherwise on how I am treated, depending on if I am in a suit or if I am in jeans whether be it at the healthcare or once even at my own work premises. And the younger ones are even worse! Here's the hierarchy: a) Shaved and in suit, b) Unshaven/ few stubbles in suit, c) Shaven in jeans, and d) horrors, unshaven and in jeans

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:43 pm

rupun wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:01 pm
Strange, how the tax office adjusts to all the global language needs. A number of nouns and adjectives come to mind. Subtly said! :evil:
Tax office wants your money. You want your money back by using the services. Granted it isn't the doctor or clerk who decides that language stuff, but higher up where they don't deal with people and where we are just numbers, it makes sense to extract our money with minimal hassle and pay as little for the services they are extracted for.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:01 pm

rupun wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:01 pm
Correct! I have a moral problem with it though: Why pay taxes for this rubbish level of coverage?
You pay taxes for privilege of living in this land. You are perfectly free to @#$% off if not happy.
Finland and Finns are not going to bend over to appease your ass.
True, we could save few euros by making sure foreigners pay taxes in Finnish or Swedish (preferably only Finnish, even more savings). And if they cannot fill the papers properly, just tax them more.

What? You expect to be entitled to coddling? Wake up! Learn the local, or sod off.
Fatalism. True. Money Saving. True. In fact, I recently recall reading more on this new types of diabetes study. It was commented that the study was primarily a way to reduce costs and medicines to diabetics, particularly insulin. So, e.g. a sugar value of 9 was considered previously very high, now it is a good value if you are diabetic and don't need insulin! Same with fats, one year they say Coconut oil is the best, next year, they say it is the worst, and the cycle repeats. These studies, much like the touted healthcare system aren't worth the paper they are printed on! They have some good doctors though, guarded by a bastion of idiots in the primary healthcare.
Lots of studies are globally performed though.
Very high quality medicine? Where? Finns (and I cannot confidently say most of EU) do NOT understand the difference between 'availability of healthcare' and 'quality of healthcare'. Grew up in a hospital environment, parent was a health care provider. Most of my current family, incuding extended ones as well. So, yes, I know what I am talking about.
So you say. I am not buying your claim though. Finnish medical care is very good level, hell we are teaching rest of Scandinavia for example on how the hell help women in giving birth to avoid tears in their flesh. Swedes are completely flabbergasted by it.
This is skill in healthcare, NOT what Finland has. Sure, there are few good doctors, that in Finland, is the exception, not the norm.
You mean it is good, skilled healthcare that guy has THAT big tumor in his head and then someone realizes "Oh gosh, something must be wrong!"
In Finland, it never would have reached such levels. And furthermore, Finnish hospitals perform much more complicated operations compared to that.
Cancer? Finland has over 67% survival rate (5 years afterwards) on patients. Top of the world. So I would say you are talking out of your ass and have no grasp of what the hell you are talking about. Meaning your earlier claim of "knowing what talking about" is BS.

Also, your claim on getting better treatment depending on how you are dressed is BS. They do triage and try to shuffle patients based on urgency, not clothes. Guy in smart suit WILL wait longer than one dressed like hobo is the hobo has more urgent need.

rupun

Post by rupun » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:03 pm

Tiwaz wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:01 pm
You are perfectly free to @#$% off if not happy.
Tiwaz wrote:
You expect to be entitled to coddling? Wake up! Learn the local, or sod off.
And there's the gene infection? The standard response purely put out! The same as said to refugees, other victims of racial crimes!
And NO, I don't expect coddling, but you see, the tax office does coddle me! They'd do a lot more if there was more greens involved! :twisted:
And no, the tax office doesn't want me to sod off, they learnt to speak not just English, but a lot more.

The point I was making that the learning isn't morally consistent!
Tiwaz wrote:
So you say. I am not buying your claim though
Oh, you don't have do, at all. Please don't! OTOH, I order you. DON'T buy into my claim. :twisted:
Tiwaz wrote:
giving birth to avoid tears in their flesh.
Ah, so that's your whole experience and focus of healthcare?
Tiwaz wrote:
You mean it is good, skilled healthcare that guy has THAT big tumor in his head and then someone realizes "Oh gosh, something must be wrong!"
In Finland, it never would have reached such levels. And furthermore, Finnish hospitals perform much more complicated operations compared to that.
Cancer? Finland has over 67% survival rate (5 years afterwards) on patients. Top of the world. So I would say you are talking out of your ass
Fair enough. But no, with a billion people, they also triage and take time to understand which priorities are higher, and when the operation can be done. And NO, Finland has a good reputation in orthopedic surgery, and cancer research ONLY! Public oncology care has gone down. And ground breaking surgeries? Really? Which one? Am we all missing something that you know, doctor?

I might be talking out of my whatever, I know people, and older Finnish friends who agree with me. First hand experiences (mine) in surgery? Yes, I do. Messed up? Yes. Direct friend's total mess up in a cardiac venting (cardiotomy suction and venting). Yes. Could have been prevented? Yes. MRSA? 76-year old family friend, a lady, restrained forcefully? Yes! Know them personally? Yes, almost like my mother, she is!
Tiwaz wrote:
and have no grasp of what the hell you are talking about. Meaning your earlier claim of "knowing what talking about" is BS.
Let's check: Pre-meds? Have antecedents in healthcare? Two generations? 90% of family in healthcare services? Apart from a few like me. Surgeons in family? Check (sister). Pedriatics? Check (1st cousin bro). Nurses? Check (too many in the clan, some even retired). Radiologist? Check (sis). Pharmacology? Check (cousin sis). Cardiology? Check. (bro's wife) Neurology? Check (spouse's bro). Youngest in med school (23 years). Spent every day waiting at the hospital premises for mom to finish so we could leave? Check.
Tiwaz wrote:
bend over to appease your ass.
Tiwaz wrote:
Also, your claim on getting better treatment depending on how you are dressed is BS..
Who said anything about appeasing me? Why are you so "#€%&/( blind that you do not understand a problem? Why is it that others experiences may not differ from yours? You don't like another's experience? And your experience is the only one? Availability and quality of healthcare are the same? Well, ... Coprophagy comes to mind! Please stay here. The place needs loyals like you!

Unless you acknowledge there's a problem, there's nothing to be corrected or changed. Get it?

I'll concede one thing: I am certainly not impressed with this setup based on my OWN first hand expereinces! The waiting times are increasing! Very low-skilled doctors! And that is my bias. And when things change, I'll praise the system too!

Cicaellijoseph

Post by Cicaellijoseph » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:02 am

You are not alone in this I have worse health problems and they DO NOT help me, they seem to have no respect if we don't speak the finnish or is a rich important person(this last is just my guess). Im suffering of severe problems all what they do is ask me to take usual painkillers, although I know I need to go for x-ray to be checked, but you know what? Sending a foreign for this kind of investigation I s too expensive for their rubbish health care. Get a health insurance there are some with affordable prices, they will send you to private doctors whose care you better because they are getting $$$$.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:38 am

rupun wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:03 pm
And there's the gene infection? The standard response purely put out! The same as said to refugees, other victims of racial crimes!
And NO, I don't expect coddling, but you see, the tax office does coddle me! They'd do a lot more if there was more greens involved! :twisted:
And no, the tax office doesn't want me to sod off, they learnt to speak not just English, but a lot more.

The point I was making that the learning isn't morally consistent!
Those "refugees" you mainly see are nothing of the kind. More golddiggers who are looking for nice and coddly location. They are part of the problem here, using up public money from which there already is chronic shortage of.

As for tax office, as said. They should do less. Official languages of Finland: Finnish and Swedish. Everything else should cost extra,
Oh, you don't have do, at all. Please don't! OTOH, I order you. DON'T buy into my claim. :twisted:
And nobody else should either. Such load of BS.
Ah, so that's your whole experience and focus of healthcare?[/quite]
Actually no. But it is part of evidence of Finland being in the leading edge, even compared to generally high level societies like Sweden.
Fair enough. But no, with a billion people, they also triage and take time to understand which priorities are higher, and when the operation can be done. And NO, Finland has a good reputation in orthopedic surgery, and cancer research ONLY! Public oncology care has gone down. And ground breaking surgeries? Really? Which one? Am we all missing something that you know, doctor?
Go and study. Finland performs cutting edge surgery and medical treatment in essentially every single field you can find. Organ transplants, artificial replacements... You name it, Finland more or less likely has it. With population of 5,5 million you find qualitatively comparable service compared to far bigger and richer nations.
I might be talking out of my whatever, I know people, and older Finnish friends who agree with me. First hand experiences (mine) in surgery? Yes, I do. Messed up? Yes. Direct friend's total mess up in a cardiac venting (cardiotomy suction and venting). Yes. Could have been prevented? Yes. MRSA? 76-year old family friend, a lady, restrained forcefully? Yes! Know them personally? Yes, almost like my mother, she is!
And how many successes you can list from those surroundings? How many NOT botched up performances? My father, prior to passing away, had multitude of surgeries. All successful. No problems there. One relative had operation on his heart, no issues there. But he himself refused followup treatment, despite knowledge that going through the operation could result in some issues. Have used myself hospital services couple times, once actually had to stay there for a week. The other time managed with single day when they figured out what was wrong and if it required anything.
Let's check: Pre-meds? Have antecedents in healthcare? Two generations? 90% of family in healthcare services? Apart from a few like me. Surgeons in family? Check (sister). Pedriatics? Check (1st cousin bro). Nurses? Check (too many in the clan, some even retired). Radiologist? Check (sis). Pharmacology? Check (cousin sis). Cardiology? Check. (bro's wife) Neurology? Check (spouse's bro). Youngest in med school (23 years). Spent every day waiting at the hospital premises for mom to finish so we could leave? Check.
Of course. And don't forget that your cousin is also Lord Almighty and so on. So you are absolute authority on everything. And your nephew fought in WW1, WW2 AND Vietnam war (on both sides) so you know everything about warfare too.
Who said anything about appeasing me? Why are you so "#€%&/( blind that you do not understand a problem? Why is it that others experiences may not differ from yours? You don't like another's experience? And your experience is the only one? Availability and quality of healthcare are the same? Well, ... Coprophagy comes to mind! Please stay here. The place needs loyals like you!

Unless you acknowledge there's a problem, there's nothing to be corrected or changed. Get it?

I'll concede one thing: I am certainly not impressed with this setup based on my OWN first hand expereinces! The waiting times are increasing! Very low-skilled doctors! And that is my bias. And when things change, I'll praise the system too!
System is what it is, and it works quite well. You whining about doctors not speaking "Engrish" when everyone else points out the opposite just tells you are here to moan and nothing else. And your claims of "low-skilled" doctors when everything we know of medicine in Finland tells the opposite.

I look at big picture, couple moaners like you and one or two wingmen are to be expected in everything. But whole picture shows system works, still. It has taken far too many cuts and is not what it could be, but that is what happens when economy is going to hell.

And trying to push more coddling of foreigners by adding resources to handle them is NOT going to help the system. Because resources could be invested more productively than towards marginal groups who cannot handle the local official languages.

Compare much of this to societies like USA for example. Where people have to run crowdfunding to receive decent treatment for serious sickness. So yeah, I'll stand up for Finnish system which delivers impressive things with relatively low funding. No need to die, go bankrupt or beg people for money to receive it. Perfect? No, but damn sight better than you can expect in most parts of the world.