Summer tires Turku - Helsinki 25.3

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
atroul

Post by atroul » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:26 pm

Hello,
I have to travel from Helsinki to Turku 25.3 at 13:00 on summer tires.
Will I need to use snow-socks or snow-chains?
thank you

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

wolf80

Re: Summer tires Turku - Helsinki 25.3

Post by wolf80 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:09 pm

atroul wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:26 pm
Hello,
I have to travel from Helsinki to Turku 25.3 at 13:00 on summer tires.
Will I need to use snow-socks or snow-chains?
thank you
The obligation to use winter tires has officially ended, but that does not mean you can use summer tires in any weather and road conditions. Specifically in this winter it would be extremely dangerous to drive, there is so much snow, ice and slush on the streets, you cannot use summer tires yet!! If you have an accident you are specifically liable as you recklessly disregarded the road condition. This also means your insurance will probably not pay for any damage to property and life that you caused. (And if somebody is disabled for the rest of his life we are talking millions here that you will have to pay for yourself.) If you have an accident in which somebody gets hurt or even killed it means you will face a judge and could easily go to prison. Bottom-line: don't be so stupid!!!!

Snow-chains are rarely used in Finland and are only allowed if they do not cause excessive damage to the road. Not sure how the regulations are on snow socks. Problem is that snow-chains and snow-socks both are meant for low speeds and cannot be used on a motorway!!!! (max. speed is like 50/60 km/h depending on model I think). So no, not really an option.

Easiest and safest option is to buy cheap (maybe second-hand) winter tires in Turku and sell them again in Helsinki!!! You don't lose a lot of money this way.

Honestly, just thinking that you may be on the road with summer tires on the same roads as me and my family gives me shivers down my spine!! And makes me angry!!

atroul

Post by atroul » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:31 pm

I have winter tires. But I am leaving finland.
If I could use snow-socks I could wear them only if needed, or use other roads and travel with 50 km/h.
Maybe the best choice would be to change the tires in Helsinki and find someone who needs them.
But again my car will be full I dont know if there is space for 4 tires... :(
If I dont find one is there a place where I can throw them away? With the rims?

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:47 pm

atroul wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:31 pm
If I could use snow-socks I could wear them only if needed, or use other roads and travel with 50 km/h.
Maybe the best choice would be to change the tires in Helsinki and find someone who needs them.
"Only if needed"?? If there is black ice on the road you will find out that they are needed once your car is hugging a tree! And going side-roads at 50 km/h will take a long time, and as the snow-chains could damage the road you might still not be allowed to use them. If the police sees the snow-chains and stops you they will have a field day, especially considering you are a foreigner.

Easiest way: change to winter tires in Helsinki and sell the summer tires. If you put them in enough second-hand groups on Facebook and on huuto.net you will most likely find somebody to take them off your hands for a little money or at least for free.

I assume you are going to the ferry - to Sweden? If yes, you will need winter tires there, too.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:58 pm

atroul wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:31 pm
2900 places, according to www.rengaskierratys.com and they might (read will) want money to strip the tyres from the rims...
Btw, you do know about liikennetilanne.liikennevirasto.fi where you can see what the conditions on main roads are?
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

atroul

Post by atroul » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:59 pm

No I'm travelling to Germany so I cant wear studded tires there.
The problem is that my car will be full there is no space for the extra set of tires.
I sent an email to the police for instructions. Is there a site for the road condition?
Last edited by atroul on Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atroul

Post by atroul » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:02 pm

Thank you Upphew thats what I was looking for. But I dont know how to "read" this map.
For example is it safe according to it to travel with summer tires now?
The color is green and no ice roads are marked.

Btw no need to take the tires out of the rims because I want to throw away the rims too if I dont find someone to sell them

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:08 pm

atroul wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:59 pm
No I'm travelling to Germany so I cant wear winter tires there.
The problem is that my car will be full there is no space for the extra set of tires.
I sent an email to the police for instructions. Is there a site for the road condition?
You cannot know the road conditions until you actually drive on the road! There could be sudden heavy snow. It could melt the day before and freeze overnight so you have lots of ice. You cannot plan this. liikennetilanne.liikennevirasto.fi/ can only give you an idea, but it's not 100 % accurate real-time information.

If you are also in Helsinki, look out of the window, does this look like conditions for driving with summer tires right now??? There are snow and ice everywhere!!!

What would you rather face, a small fine by the German police because you are using studded winter tires, or the legal problems you will get when you have an accident with bodily injury in Finland?

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:13 am

atroul wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:02 pm
Thank you Upphew thats what I was looking for. But I dont know how to "read" this map.
For example is it safe according to it to travel with summer tires now?
The color is green and no ice roads are marked.

Btw no need to take the tires out of the rims because I want to throw away the rims too if I dont find someone to sell them
Ice roads are literally roads on ice, be it on the lake or sea. Check the cameras on your route. Smaller roads will have worse conditions. Not all cameras will have weather information included, but you'll see from the picture the snow situation.

It won't be safe to travel with summer tyres now. They don't work in freezing temperatures, even much less so if the temperature is combined with snow or ice.

There is a reason to take the tyres from the rims: you can't recycle tyres if they are on rims.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

atroul

Post by atroul » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:52 am

I just came up with another, maybe stupid :roll: solution.
Is it possible to stay with the studded tires and when I arrive to Germany to remove with a tool the studs?
What do you think?

rinso

Post by rinso » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:38 am

to remove with a tool the studs?
It is possible but it will take a long time.
And winter tires are designed for colder conditions. They work less well when it gets warmer.

masao

Post by masao » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:01 pm

rinso wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:38 am
to remove with a tool the studs?
It is possible but it will take a long time.
And winter tires are designed for colder conditions. They work less well when it gets warmer.
Hi.
I have done it once (removing the studs) and it's a very heavy job. I got some of my fingers bloody.
For obvious reasons, they do not come off easily.
Yesterday I was in Tallinn and the town was covered by fresh snow.

The departure time is next week. I'd suggest you get rid of your summer tyres like many suggested. Drive to Germany with the studded tyres.
At the first opportunity in Germany, get summer tyres and replace them.
The tyres should be cheaper over there and besides, you should not drive with summer tyres just yet.
t, masao
Bone, Thugs, 'n' Harmony