So... What happens to the water? & what percentage of water is recycled?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
biryvih

Post by biryvih » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:27 pm

Umm soo,

I was just curious about this...

What happens to the water we use in daily routine (WC, Shower, Washing etc...)... how much water is being used per / person on daily basis..

What is considered waste of water? and the toilet water, is it wasted or is it recovered?

and..

What percentage of water is being recycled in Finland.. and what are the costs for that.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: So... What happens to the water? & what percentage of water is recycled?

Post by Upphew » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:51 pm

biryvih wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:27 pm
Umm soo,

I was just curious about this...

What happens to the water we use in daily routine (WC, Shower, Washing etc...)... how much water is being used per / person on daily basis..

What is considered waste of water? and the toilet water, is it wasted or is it recovered?

and..

What percentage of water is being recycled in Finland.. and what are the costs for that.
About 158l/day/person. Recycled... probably about 0%

Check eg. www.hsy.fi/en/residents/water/Pages/default.aspx the Aboust HSY page has also some € figures for you.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

biryvih

Post by biryvih » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:25 pm

Upphew wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:51 pm

Check eg. www.hsy.fi/en/residents/water/Pages/default.aspx the Aboust HSY page has also some € figures for you.
Thank you! I could've done a Google search in English :D I was trying with my broken Finnish and Google was giving me funny results :) Thanks again :beer_yum:

And I do have one question and it is rather silly.. if there is no recycling going on, does this mean everything is wasted.. (I did read that after going through some recycling the water is pushed into the Baltic sea) but why sea? Why not some lake etc.. and how come Finland has no shortage of water? is it because of snowing or does Finland has some dams or reservoirs?

And one more thing :D I felt guilty every time I spent more water than I needed and I really hoped there was recycling going on, but it made me more sad :D

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:57 am

biryvih wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:25 pm
Upphew wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:51 pm

Thank you! I could've done a Google search in English :D I was trying with my broken Finnish and Google was giving me funny results :) Thanks again :beer_yum:

And I do have one question and it is rather silly.. if there is no recycling going on, does this mean everything is wasted.. (I did read that after going through some recycling the water is pushed into the Baltic sea) but why sea? Why not some lake etc.. and how come Finland has no shortage of water? is it because of snowing or does Finland has some dams or reservoirs?

And one more thing :D I felt guilty every time I spent more water than I needed and I really hoped there was recycling going on, but it made me more sad :D
I linked you to HSY, that H stands for Helsinki. Water likes to obey gravity and Helsinki is a coastal city... it would use energy to push the used water anywhere else. Where do you think the water from lakes go? To the sea. I live in Lappeenranta and our waste water ends up to Baltic too via Rakkolanjoki.

Helsinki has had shortage of raw water and thus Päijänne water tunnel was built. So basically we have thousands of reservoirs, we call them lakes. Pump the water from the lake through sand and presto, artificial ground water. See the wikipedia page for tekopohjavesi.

biryvih

Post by biryvih » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:20 am

Upphew wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:57 am
Thank you for all the information :beer_yum:

pavi

Post by pavi » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:27 pm

I studied the following in University...We planned and designed water treatment plants there. So all the water from kitchen, toilets, sink, Sauna goes for water treatment, there are various kinds of filters to take out solid stuff and then there is treatment of water to remove germs, then there is also chlorination to make the water drinkable again.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:56 am

^^ As stated above, by default none of the household water in Finland is "wasted" in the sense that it would be lead in its sewage form into a river, lake, sea or the ground. "Saving water" in households isn't actually saving anything (apart from possibly money from whomever is paying for it), as a matter of fact it has happened in some areas that the pipe network needed additional flushing because there wasn't enough flow otherwise to keep it running properly.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:36 am

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:56 am
^^ As stated above, by default none of the household water in Finland is "wasted" in the sense that it would be lead in its sewage form into a river, lake, sea or the ground. "Saving water" in households isn't actually saving anything (apart from possibly money from whomever is paying for it), as a matter of fact it has happened in some areas that the pipe network needed additional flushing because there wasn't enough flow otherwise to keep it running properly.
Regarding "black" water, yes. Black being the toilet. "Grey" water, so everything else on top of toilet, is absorbed to ground in cases where there is no communal sewage system available. Google imeytyskenttä or kivipesä with google image search.

biryvih

Post by biryvih » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:27 pm

Thanks a lot guys.
Upphew wrote:
put me in the right direction and all the information I got from you guys is really helpful. I am curious about this topic and I was happy to learn something new about it.

Thanks again.

EricBoss

Post by EricBoss » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:51 pm

So basically we have thousands of reservoirs, we call them lakes.
I read about a recent bacterial contamination in the water of Finland. Around January 2018. Hope it's not something that happens often. Scary . . .
Last edited by EricBoss on Mon May 14, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:10 am

EricBoss wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:51 pm
I read about a recent bacterial contamination in the water of Finland. Around January 2018. Hope it's not something that happens often. Scary . . .
In places like the UK they deal with this by adding a huge amount of chlorine to the water. That's why putting a jug of tap water on the table makes you feel you're at a swimming pool thanks to the chlorine smell (and that's before you even pour a glass of it to drink). The Isle of Wight in the UK gets its tap water from the mainland and a relative (who was a local Councillor) told me the water company turns up the chlorine level to maximum at weekends because this means that if there is a leak and the water contaminated they can avoid having to fix it until the monday (higher weekend call out costs).

I prefer the low chlorine levels in Finnish tap water (there is some but very low amount) with the consequence that from time to time (at my house once in 20 years) you are warned not to drink it due to contamination.