Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
nokiassa

Post by nokiassa » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:02 pm

Last edited by nokiassa on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Get the best out of Finnish conscription period

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:45 am

No-one can tell you where you should go, all have pretty much only their own experiences to reflect upon. The document you linked describe the basic requirements for different units, e.g. not needing glasses is a requirement for some, there's also information about fitness, no matter where you go it's worthwhile to be at least somewhat fit, so start exercising unless already physically active. Of course, the more fluent you're in Finnish before starting the easier for you (assuming you don't speak Swedish and aim for a Swedish-speaking unit), so best start brushing up on that. Do NOT assume that you will get training or assistance in English. Distance from home may or may not be a factor, depending on whether there's something specific you want to do, even if it is further away from home, or just want to have it over with with minimal hassle. Considering your field of work, signals or electronic warfare would be a good fit, as you probably already know at least the basic concepts behind the things you'll be taught. Signals may also be what you'll be suggested, unless you state a different preference of your own. Then again, it may not directly contribute to your work life, and you may want to experience something different.

As for me, I wanted to go right after having finished high school as I had a place to study already lined up. By default I would've had to wait half a year to get my first choice, after making a phone call to discuss the issue I was given two options to start right away, of which I selected one.

Do what's best for you, considering your situation and interests, read the material through, make a decision and state a preference in the call-up to increase your chances of going where you want.