Unemployment and baby

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Mizu1993

Unemployment and baby

Post by Mizu1993 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:50 am

I live here since August 2017 and moved here to have a family life with my boyfriend. I was unemployed in Finland for just 2-3 month, since I was pregnant already. I was registered at that time in TE-Toimisto, but of course I didn't got any money. Now my question is, my adviser there told me that I have 3 years to absolves their 1 year finnish practice, which is going to school to learn finnish for 6 month and the other 6 month is working in a company and speak finnish there. But what happens if I don't do this? For now, I am not registered anymore, since I just gave birth in the middle of November 2017. Also there might be a second baby coming soon too. So what happens if I don't take the change in those 3 years. It is hard, since I have and want to be with my child. Also we don't have anyone here who can take care of my daughter, since my family and his family lives far away (Oulu and my family lives in Austria), so we would need to give her to kindergarten or a babysitter.
Ps.: My boyfriend is working and I am taking care of the baby.

Unemployment and baby

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Unemployment and baby

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:16 am

Mizu1993 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:50 am
I live here since August 2017 and moved here to have a family life with my boyfriend. I was unemployed in Finland for just 2-3 month, since I was pregnant already. I was registered at that time in TE-Toimisto, but of course I didn't got any money. Now my question is, my adviser there told me that I have 3 years to absolves their 1 year finnish practice, which is going to school to learn finnish for 6 month and the other 6 month is working in a company and speak finnish there. But what happens if I don't do this?
You will not be entitled to an integration plan so you will have to accept a job instead of language classes. If TE-toimisto thinks you will need language classes to get a job, then they will put you on one.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Mizu1993 wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:50 am
I live here since August 2017 and moved here to have a family life with my boyfriend. I was unemployed in Finland for just 2-3 month, since I was pregnant already. I was registered at that time in TE-Toimisto, but of course I didn't got any money. Now my question is, my adviser there told me that I have 3 years to absolves their 1 year finnish practice, which is going to school to learn finnish for 6 month and the other 6 month is working in a company and speak finnish there. But what happens if I don't do this? For now, I am not registered anymore, since I just gave birth in the middle of November 2017. Also there might be a second baby coming soon too. So what happens if I don't take the change in those 3 years. It is hard, since I have and want to be with my child. Also we don't have anyone here who can take care of my daughter, since my family and his family lives far away (Oulu and my family lives in Austria), so we would need to give her to kindergarten or a babysitter.
Ps.: My boyfriend is working and I am taking care of the baby.
Best thing would be to talk the possibilities through with your advisor. You can explain your situation and ask for the possibilities.

Personally, I think being pregnant or having a baby are no reason not to learn Finnish. On the contrary, it's very much in the interest of your child that you are able to speak the language. Or do you expect your husband to do all of the organizational things for which you need Finnish?

Also - give your child to daycare/kindergarten. It will be a good thing for your child (being submerged into Finnish language and culture) and you have the chance to learn Finnish.

Mizu1993

Post by Mizu1993 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:32 pm

It's not like I just sit at home and do nothing. I have finish courses, twice a week, but they are cheap, one is for free and one is for 5€. Probably the finnish classes of TE-Toimisto are more useful, but I am more scared of it, since it is probably so forced and then there is a bad atmosphere. But also, I don't want to get my child/children too early in kindergarten. You can give babies with 9 month in Kindergarten. Isn't that way too young?

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:13 am

Mizu1993 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:32 pm
It's not like I just sit at home and do nothing. I have finish courses, twice a week, but they are cheap, one is for free and one is for 5€. Probably the finnish classes of TE-Toimisto are more useful, but I am more scared of it, since it is probably so forced and then there is a bad atmosphere. But also, I don't want to get my child/children too early in kindergarten. You can give babies with 9 month in Kindergarten. Isn't that way too young?
Are you based in the Helsinki region? I personally enjoyed the languages courses you can find on ilmonet.fi. But most courses will only start in autumn next time. Courses are rather affordable.

Well, 9 months seems young, especially compared to the Austrian standard. But in Finland it's rather normal, I know lots of mums who have their little ones in päiväkotis until they pick up their child in the afternoon after their normal work day. Children seem to be rather happy.

I would really concentrate as much as possible on learning Finnish. It will help you find a job, and it will help your children.

Lavinia

Post by Lavinia » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Mizu1993 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:32 pm
nope, the Finnish courses are definitely nice and cozy for the most part. A friend of mine got sent to Onnenkieli(in Tampere) and they were playing and chilling and chatting(of course they also had homework and so on, actually the level she reached in a year was quite amazing).

If you let three years go by, then you won't have any rights to a proper integration plan with the cozy language courses; you'll be offered a job(which most likely has nothing to do with your qualifications, if you have any, 'cause you don't speak Finnish - ok, except if you work in IT, or mobile games, you can work in English in those fields mostly) and you'll have to take it. If you don't speak Finnish, they'll offer you a quick crash course on cleaning and send you cleaning(nothing bad with cleaning, I've been doing it for couple of years also, but if it's not what you want to do, then you'll have no rights to a proper integration plan and more professional advice). It's more important to be away from the baby for few hours a day than not speaking at all his language, imo.