Is it a big issue according to Finnish law

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
lifeisfun

Post by lifeisfun » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:49 am

Hello

I have found a cheap room in a student dorm. However, by housing authority rules, it is forbidden to rent to a non-student. If I take that room without any legal contract from the housing, and I live there but I am registered somewhere else for maistratti, is it a big issue according to Finnish law? If it is a crime, what is the degree of crime? Will I be just fined by police/law if I get caught or will it make a big problem to my citizenship application?

Thanks.
L

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

GmoDelft

Re: Is it a big issue according to Finnish law

Post by GmoDelft » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:43 am

many people live like that. not an issue. unless you dont pay the rent.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:58 pm

lifeisfun wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:49 am
I have found a cheap room in a student dorm. However, by housing authority rules, it is forbidden to rent to a non-student. If I take that room without any legal contract from the housing, and I live there but I am registered somewhere else for maistratti, is it a big issue according to Finnish law? If it is a crime, what is the degree of crime? Will I be just fined by police/law if I get caught or will it make a big problem to my citizenship application?
Not notifying proper address to the population register is punished by a fine if you don't correct it on notice. Presumably your landlord would not declare the rental income, so you could be accessory to tax fraud. In any case it would be being accessory to fraud on the housing authority.

Oho

Post by Oho » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:27 pm

It would be a contract violation on part of the person who rents you the room but probably not a crime. Thus if the housing authority finds out they'd probably have grounds to terminate your landlords lease pretty much on the spot, which would lead to your eviction which I think you really could not challenge.

lifeisfun

Post by lifeisfun » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:18 pm

Oho wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:27 pm
It would be a contract violation on part of the person who rents you the room but probably not a crime. Thus if the housing authority finds out they'd probably have grounds to terminate your landlords lease pretty much on the spot, which would lead to your eviction which I think you really could not challenge.
Thanks for your informative answer. I had already guessed that. However, my concern is: did you hear/experience from closed one about such incident that someone (non-student) is evicted right after housing authority came to know the fact and cancelled the housing contract of the student who rented it? If yes, how many days does the authority give to the student (who rented the room) for eviction? Right after next day or next week or next month? Please let me know if you know for sure case.

Thanks again.