Online Verification - BANK ID

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
ohjay

Post by ohjay » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:38 pm

I recently started working as a developer in Helsinki, and i have the 'A' type permit. I also maintain a bank account with S-Pankki. It appears to use most of the online services in Finland, one would need the online verification ID provided by the bank. I was asked to get some document signed by the police to use this service (which i did and paid 47Euros for :( ). The police officer showed me the documents and assured me it would be sent to the bank within two business days. It's now taking forever to do that. I don't get much time to visit the police or the bank for that matter. Has anyone gone through this process? How long does it usually take? Any response would be much appreciated.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Re: Online Verification - BANK ID

Post by 007 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:45 pm

ohjay wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:38 pm
I recently started working as a developer in Helsinki, and i have the 'A' type permit. I also maintain a bank account with S-Pankki. It appears to use most of the online services in Finland, one would need the online verification ID provided by the bank. I was asked to get some document signed by the police to use this service (which i did and paid 47Euros for :( ). The police officer showed me the documents and assured me it would be sent to the bank within two business days. It's now taking forever to do that. I don't get much time to visit the police or the bank for that matter. Has anyone gone through this process? How long does it usually take? Any response would be much appreciated.
I don't understand the part where police say they will send the ID card (some kind of document to the bank).

Yes, it requires an ID card of some sort to verify your identity at your bank, and for that reason, you were told to get one from police station. You pay the money and police send you the card at your address or alternatively, you go and pick it up yourself.

---x---
Not gonna delete what I've written above.

I just visited poliisi.fi and found out that 47€ is for "Personal identification (Population Information Act (661/2009) sections 66 and 67, Act on Strong Electronic Identification and Electronic Signatures (617/2009) section 17)"

I don't know what kind of !"#¤% that is. Ain't doing more research. :|
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

biryvih

Post by biryvih » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:40 am

How long does it usually take?
It was couple of years ago but it took me a day... and the "verification" was such a joke, seriously..

One more thing, that verification is valid only for one time. In case you need something similar again, you will need to go through the same process. The best solution which I could find is to get the Finnish identity card. I think it cost roughly the same.

biryvih

Post by biryvih » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:46 am

You go there, say "hi" to the officer, than the officer will ask you for your national passport and ask you your name and birthday and than the officer will ask you to pay the money. Annnnnnd you are verified :beer_yum: and than the bank will receive the information from the poliisi..

In short it was a joke. it takes roughly 30 seconds :lol:

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:26 am

biryvih wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:46 am
You go there, say "hi" to the officer, than the officer will ask you for your national passport and ask you your name and birthday and than the officer will ask you to pay the money. Annnnnnd you are verified :beer_yum: and than the bank will receive the information from the poliisi..

In short it was a joke. it takes roughly 30 seconds :lol:
What else should they have done then?

biryvih

Post by biryvih » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:12 pm

How about a verification? :thumbsup:

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:32 pm

biryvih wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:12 pm
How about a verification? :thumbsup:
Comparing your face to the id is what the banks do. Why should the police do additional verifications steps beyond verifying that the passport is legit and that you look like the person?

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:02 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:32 pm

Comparing your face to the id is what the banks do. Why should the police do additional verifications steps beyond verifying that the passport is legit and that you look like the person?
My guess is that it is a matter of who is responsible and banks don’t want to take the risk? Possibly also that a banker can’t be expected to spot a genuine versus fraudulent identity document from every country. Police probably have more training in forged document detection. Pure speculation though.

biryvih

Post by biryvih » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:17 am

I can't really tell if you read my earlier post in its entirety.
Comparing your face to the id is what the banks do.
Yep, they do and I am fine with that... Buuuut
Why should the police do additional verifications steps beyond verifying that the passport is legit and that you look like the person?
As I said it took 30 seconds at the police station to "verify", I am not sure how in 30 seconds you can tell if the passport is legit or not, I am not talking about Finnish Passport.

And if the officer just had to compare my face with the passport, that could be done in the bank as well. But for that 30 seconds, I had to pay roughly 50€ (don't remember the exact amount) and wasted my work day.

Maybe you know something which I don't? Maybe the officer had some sort of lenses in her eyes which could scan my passport by just looking at it? If that would be the case, than I don't mind paying and traveling to that place...

And this was for obtaining Net banking, which was weird to me at that time, since I already had net banking with a different bank and no verification was needed from the police for that...

We can continue this debate, but I don't see the point. I do respect your opinion, but to my eyes I don't call it verification, since the same thing could be done at the bank.. but in your opinion it is.. sooo I don't know :beer_yum:

Post by 007 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:08 pm

You have to go through the police in any case; however, I was bit surprised that someone would choose to get a service that costs them 47€ per service versus an ID card that costs 58€ and is valid for 5 years.

Come to think of it, this is perhaps to help those who don't have permits to live in Finland yet (asylum seekers) or don't need one (EU citizens)

:?:

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:09 pm

007 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:08 pm
Come to think of it, this is perhaps to help those who don't have permits to live in Finland yet (asylum seekers) or don't need one (EU citizens)
EU citizens don't need either. Their ids must be accepted by the bank.
Ensitunnistamisessa, joka perustuu yksinomaan viranomaisen myöntämään henkilöllisyyttä osoittavaan asiakirjaan, hyväksyttäviä asiakirjoja ovat voimassa oleva Euroopan talousalueen jäsenvaltion, Sveitsin tai San Marinon viranomaisen myöntämä passi tai henkilökortti. Halutessaan tunnistusvälineen tarjoaja voi käyttää henkilöllisyyden varmentamisessa myös muun valtion viranomaisen myöntämää voimassa olevaa passia.
https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2009/20090617

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:37 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:09 pm
007 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:08 pm
EU citizens don't need either. Their ids must be accepted by the bank.
Ensitunnistamisessa, joka perustuu yksinomaan viranomaisen myöntämään henkilöllisyyttä osoittavaan asiakirjaan, hyväksyttäviä asiakirjoja ovat voimassa oleva Euroopan talousalueen jäsenvaltion, Sveitsin tai San Marinon viranomaisen myöntämä passi tai henkilökortti. Halutessaan tunnistusvälineen tarjoaja voi käyttää henkilöllisyyden varmentamisessa myös muun valtion viranomaisen myöntämää voimassa olevaa passia.
https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2009/20090617
Accepted documents are vs. documents that must be accepted. Nordea's own guidance says "...toteamalla hänen henkilöllisyytensä voimassa olevasta kotimaisesta tai harkintansa mukaan sellaisesta ulkomaisen viranomaisen myöntämästä passista..."

So I wouldn't say must be accepted. At least before I check the government proposal that got hammered to that law.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

biryvih

Post by biryvih » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:18 pm

You have to go through the police in any case
umm not really? For OP I had to, for Nordea nope...
I was bit surprised that someone would choose to get a service that costs them 47€ per service versus an ID card that costs 58€ and is valid for 5 years
When I did (back in the day) I didn't know about the verification at all (never needed one before) and they didn't present any other option at that time. Later from the bank I found out about the identity card and that was the first thing I did.
toteamalla hänen henkilöllisyytensä voimassa olevasta kotimaisesta tai harkintansa mukaan sellaisesta ulkomaisen viranomaisen myöntämästä passista
Bank (Osuuspankki) didn't accept my passport until the police "verified" it, and I've already explained the verification process.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:02 pm

Upphew wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:37 pm
So I wouldn't say must be accepted. At least before I check the government proposal that got hammered to that law.
Euroopan talousalueen jäsenvaltion viranomaisen myöntämän passin ja henkilökortin sisällyttäminen säännökseen johtuu siitä, että alueella on olemassa harmonisoidut säännökset passeista ja henkilökorteista. Jos niitä ei hyväksyttäisi ensitunnistamisessa, merkitsisi se estettä sisämarkkinoilla. Myös Sveitsin ja San Marinon kanssa on olemassa sopimukset vastavuoroisesta tunnustamisesta.
https://www.finlex.fi/fi/esitykset/he/2 ... p450957632

This must be read in connection with rules prohibiting discrimination based on citizenship.

Post by 007 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:43 am

biryvih wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:18 pm
You have to go through the police in any case
umm not really? For OP I had to, for Nordea nope...
How did they verify your identity at Nordea? Was your passport enough for them?

I don't remember how things were with S-pankki. I once had to go there with some documents (don't remember which documents, most probably Finnish driving license) in order to verify my identity so that I could use online kela services etc.

ADD: or was it Nordea :lol: damn my memory.