Waiting on residence permit while pregnant

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
alucio

Post by alucio » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:00 am

Hi everyone!

I am from the US and I just came to Finland to be with my Finnish fiancé on April 6th. We are to be married May 4th and the plan was for me to return home in June, apply for my residence permit, and then move officially to Finland after receiving it from the states... however, the day we flew to Finland (he was here visiting my family), we found out that I'm pregnant. Because of this, my fiancé does not want me to return to the states and would rather I wait for my permit in Finland - which is legal to do.

My only concern is that since I am pregnant, will I be able to receive free/low cost prenatal care here?

We definitely cannot afford to pay for the visits out of pocket, from what I saw online they're quite expensive, and I know I would get care in the US, but if I were to go back to the states, he would not be able to be at the birth of our child or with me during the pregnancy, which isn't really an option he wants to entertain.

Also, since the child will be a Finnish citizen because of my fiancé is he or she entitled to post birth care, the maternity package, child allowance, etc? It's been difficult to find information about this because our situation is so strange haha. Any advice/opinions are welcomed.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Waiting on residence permit while pregnant

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:11 pm

alucio wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:00 am
I am from the US and I just came to Finland to be with my Finnish fiancé on April 6th. We are to be married May 4th and the plan was for me to return home in June, apply for my residence permit, and then move officially to Finland after receiving it from the states... however, the day we flew to Finland (he was here visiting my family), we found out that I'm pregnant. Because of this, my fiancé does not want me to return to the states and would rather I wait for my permit in Finland - which is legal to do.

My only concern is that since I am pregnant, will I be able to receive free/low cost prenatal care here?
Yes. After getting married you will be entitled to a municipality of residence (no residence permit needed) and the municipality will take care of health care. You might have to pay drugs out of pocket and get reimbursed later if Kela takes a while to make the decision to allow you into their systems. If you don't have assets to pay for drugs, you can get them covered by income support.
4) hän on sellaisen henkilön perheenjäsen, jolla on Suomessa tässä laissa tarkoitettu kotikunta;
https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 40201#L2P4
alucio wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:00 am
We definitely cannot afford to pay for the visits out of pocket, from what I saw online they're quite expensive, and I know I would get care in the US, but if I were to go back to the states, he would not be able to be at the birth of our child or with me during the pregnancy, which isn't really an option he wants to entertain.

Also, since the child will be a Finnish citizen because of my fiancé is he or she entitled to post birth care, the maternity package, child allowance, etc? It's been difficult to find information about this because our situation is so strange haha. Any advice/opinions are welcomed.
Yes.

tavastia

Re: Waiting on residence permit while pregnant

Post by tavastia » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:36 am

Yes. After getting married you will be entitled to a municipality of residence (no residence permit needed) and the municipality will take care of health care. You might have to pay drugs out of pocket and get reimbursed later if Kela takes a while to make the decision to allow you into their systems. If you don't have assets to pay for drugs, you can get them covered by income support.
In real life, this may not that simple as it sounds, to get the support from municipality you need Kela card, to get Kela you need to be registered at Maistratti, to be registered you need residence permit, to get residence permit you may wait for up to 9 months but you can apply it in Finland.

For the maternity package & maternity allowance you need to be living here for few months (check the requirements) before the baby is born. Living here = registered. See above.

Good luck!