HELP...four months work permit after graduation

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
agksam

Post by agksam » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:17 am

Hello,
So I graduated from a UAS and i decided to apply for a work permit. I just got an email yesterday saying I have been granted work permitted for just four months. starting from April to August this year. I do have a work contract which ends in August could that be why I was given a work permit till August.
Regards

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

heretostay

Re: HELP...four months work permit after graduation

Post by heretostay » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:59 am

agksam wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:17 am
Hello,
So I graduated from a UAS and i decided to apply for a work permit. I just got an email yesterday saying I have been granted work permitted for just four months. starting from April to August this year. I do have a work contract which ends in August could that be why I was given a work permit till August.
Regards
The residence permit based on work is valid for the duration of the work contract. If you get another job or your employer extends your comtract, then you can apply for an extended permit.

agksam

Post by agksam » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:17 pm

But i thought as a graduate in Finland one is entitled to atleast one year post school work visa.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:32 pm

agksam wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:17 pm
But i thought as a graduate in Finland one is entitled to atleast one year post school work visa.
Yes but then you need to apply for the work seeker permit, not a work based permit. Usually you get the job seeker permit while on a student permit. It's not clear to me whether you can get it later any more.

heretostay

Post by heretostay » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:32 pm

The wording is a little unclear but it sounds like after graduation you have two options:

a) one year job seekers permit

Or

b) permit based on a work contract

Seems like migri assumed you took option b. Option a might no longer be available to you since it states you have to apply for this prior to your student permit expiring. I would suggest reading the page I linked below and contacting migri for clarification.
http://migri.fi/en/studying/seeking-wor ... graduation