Question about bittorrent - why doesn't it work in Finland?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
Post Reply
tkt234
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 8:51 pm

Question about bittorrent - why doesn't it work in Finland?

Post by tkt234 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:41 am

I wanted to download some movies while I was staying at a hotel last year in Finland, but it didn't work!
Have Finnish ISP-s blocked it?
In Estonia I can use bittorrent to download something anywhere with any ISP.



Question about bittorrent - why doesn't it work in Finland?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

heretostay
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Question about bittorrent - why doesn't it work in Finland?

Post by heretostay » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:45 am

It is illegal and in Finland and they take it very seriously. There have been many stories of people who download something from home and then got a letter in the mail with a €2 000 fine.


Upphew
Posts: 10167
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 pm
Location: Lappeenranta

Re: Question about bittorrent - why doesn't it work in Finland?

Post by Upphew » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:37 am

heretostay wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:45 am
It is illegal and in Finland and they take it very seriously. There have been many stories of people who download something from home and then got a letter in the mail with a €2 000 fine.
Downloading isn't punishable Iirc. Fines are issued by authorities, those letters were from some shady lawyers, seeking money or else...
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.


User avatar
ajdias
Posts: 2486
Joined: Sun May 04, 2003 9:01 pm
Contact:

Re: Question about bittorrent - why doesn't it work in Finland?

Post by ajdias » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:33 pm

tkt234 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:41 am
I wanted to download some movies while I was staying at a hotel last year in Finland, but it didn't work!
Have Finnish ISP-s blocked it?
In Estonia I can use bittorrent to download something anywhere with any ISP.
More likely your hostel restricts your use of bittorrent and access to certain websites. In Finland Isp's restrict access to know pirate websites but I hear that you can get around that. And I haven't heard of ISP's restricting access to bit-torrent traffic.


FinnGuyHelsinki
Posts: 888
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: Question about bittorrent - why doesn't it work in Finland?

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:42 am

There's nothing inherently illegal in bit torrent (illegal content over any protocol is another matter), and as already stated, ISP's aren't blocking the traffic on protocol level. In any case it's best to always use a proper secured VPN connection when using the Internet, be it on a mobile or a PC.


tkt234
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 8:51 pm

Re: Question about bittorrent - why doesn't it work in Finland?

Post by tkt234 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:09 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:42 am
There's nothing inherently illegal in bit torrent (illegal content over any protocol is another matter), and as already stated, ISP's aren't blocking the traffic on protocol level. In any case it's best to always use a proper secured VPN connection when using the Internet, be it on a mobile or a PC.
So then Finnish police cannot fine you? Everyone doesn't know that IMO


Upphew
Posts: 10167
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 pm
Location: Lappeenranta

Re: Question about bittorrent - why doesn't it work in Finland?

Post by Upphew » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:15 pm

tkt234 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:09 pm
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:42 am
There's nothing inherently illegal in bit torrent (illegal content over any protocol is another matter), and as already stated, ISP's aren't blocking the traffic on protocol level. In any case it's best to always use a proper secured VPN connection when using the Internet, be it on a mobile or a PC.
So then Finnish police cannot fine you? Everyone doesn't know that IMO
Afaik the police won't issue fines for pirates, they are issued by courts. Police will investigate the crime and gather the evidence, which includes all the stuff used in crime, eg. computers and phones.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.


FinnGuyHelsinki
Posts: 888
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:52 pm

Re: Question about bittorrent - why doesn't it work in Finland?

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:00 am

tkt234 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:09 pm
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:42 am
There's nothing inherently illegal in bit torrent (illegal content over any protocol is another matter), and as already stated, ISP's aren't blocking the traffic on protocol level. In any case it's best to always use a proper secured VPN connection when using the Internet, be it on a mobile or a PC.
So then Finnish police cannot fine you? Everyone doesn't know that IMO
I was talking about using the Internet for any purpose, be it this forum, surfing the net, or whatever else, VPN is a safeguard against multitude of issues, among them being a victim of a crime.


Post Reply