Job leaving notification in IT

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
jack2012

Post by jack2012 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:23 am

Hi,

Is it normal that IT companies make job leaving notification for 3 months? Is it possible(normally) in Finland that other companies wait for new employee for 3 months?

Kiitos

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Job leaving notification in IT

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Wed May 16, 2018 10:37 am

If by "job leaving notification" you mean notification of termination of employment (i.e. you're being laid off), the duration is dictated by law and varies depending on the length of the employment. Naturally the employer is also required to pay salary during that time, and it is not uncommon in IT that by the employer's decision one is no longer obligated to work.

jack2012

Post by jack2012 » Wed May 16, 2018 10:53 am

It looks, you are taking it like "termination from employer side"! No, I am asking lets say if I got another job and I want to move to new job so how much time is right to inform current employer? Is 3 month notification reasonable?! It is not about laid off! :)

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed May 16, 2018 10:56 am

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:37 am
If by "job leaving notification" you mean notification of termination of employment (i.e. you're being laid off), the duration is dictated by law and varies depending on the length of the employment. Naturally the employer is also required to pay salary during that time, and it is not uncommon in IT that by the employer's decision one is no longer obligated to work.
The law allows for up to six months: "Irtisanomisaika voidaan sopia enintään kuudeksi kuukaudeksi. Jos on sovittu pidemmästä ajasta, tämän sijasta on noudatettava kuuden kuukauden irtisanomisaikaa."

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 10055#L6P2

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed May 16, 2018 10:59 am

jack2012 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:53 am
It looks, you are taking it like "termination from employer side"! No, I am asking lets say if I got another job and I want to move to new job so how much time is right to inform current employer? Is 3 month notification reasonable?! It is not about laid off! :)
The minimum time you must give depends on:
  • Your job contract
  • Collective bargaining agreement
  • Legislation
There's insufficient information to answer for your case. However, it's good behaviour to let them know earlier so they can be prepare by starting to look for your replacement. There's no problem telling them that you will be leaving in X months even if your minimum is shorter.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Wed May 16, 2018 11:01 am

jack2012 wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:53 am
That too is dictated by law, and depends on the length of employment. 5 years or less - 14 days, over 5 years - 1 month.