Problem in Finland last week with a company who offered a job in Kotka!!

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Problem in Finland last week with a company who offered a job in Kotka!!

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon May 21, 2018 4:22 pm

tkt234 wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:25 pm
So is Finnish language real important in Finland when getting a job?
If one has to deal with Finnish-only speaking colleagues and/or customers, which is the case in many jobs/work places, it pretty much is a requirement, if the hiring employer has a choice.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

burak25

Post by burak25 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:01 pm

They pretty much always state Finnish requirement for the job. Your situation was unfortunately a mistake and exceptional situation. Sorry.

burak25

Post by burak25 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:23 pm

I mean if a job requires Finnish, they always state that requirement.
Of course not every job requires Finnish and you can find those all the time too.

supergames

Post by supergames » Tue May 22, 2018 4:04 pm

It depends what job you have to do. For example in construction sector there are so many workers who only speak english and many not even speak english. So not in every sector Finnish is required

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Wed May 23, 2018 9:33 am

supergames wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 4:04 pm
It depends what job you have to do. For example in construction sector there are so many workers who only speak english and many not even speak english. So not in every sector Finnish is required
I'd say it's not so much about the sector but the employer. In construction, there is lots of sub-contracting, and it doesn't really matter what language a certain work crew is speaking, as long as their superiors can communicate with the main contractor. At the same time, a non-Finnish speaker might have tougher time trying to land a job working directly for a Finnish construction company. Also, while in many IT jobs using English is fine, if the company is predominantly working with Finnish-speaking customers, it's an an obvious downside if one doesn't speak Finnish (i.e. cannot directly interact with the customers).