URGENT: Lawyers/ law firm for wills and bank agreements

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
nben

Post by nben » Thu May 24, 2018 5:46 pm

Dear all,

I've heard that we can do an agreement of sort with the bank, in case of an unforeseen event, e.g. sickness or death. That the account can continue to be used as normal for household expense and stuff.

Could anybody recommend a lawyer or firm that can help us create this kind of an agreement, rather urgently please?

Any additional advice on this topic would be greatly welcome.

Kind regards.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: URGENT: Lawyers/ law firm for wills and bank agreements

Post by betelgeuse » Fri May 25, 2018 7:57 am

nben wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 5:46 pm
I've heard that we can do an agreement of sort with the bank, in case of an unforeseen event, e.g. sickness or death. That the account can continue to be used as normal for household expense and stuff.

Could anybody recommend a lawyer or firm that can help us create this kind of an agreement, rather urgently please?
You might not need a lawyer. A couple can protect themselves by making both owners of the account. The co-owner can continue to use the account for daily expenses even after death.

nben

Post by nben » Fri May 25, 2018 3:08 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 7:57 am
You might not need a lawyer. A couple can protect themselves by making both owners of the account. The co-owner can continue to use the account for daily expenses even after death.
Exactly! You'd think so, won't you? Joint account means joint! But, in Finland, that is NOT the case, and pretty much up to the person sitting in front of you! I checked multiple times with three different banks, and some people in the same bank gave me a different answer. Basically, even if it is a joint account, it may be frozen. Like I gather, at the whim and fancy of the person in front!

Generally speaking, Danske and Nordea said the joint account can continue operations, but will be considered "perintö" (estate of a non-living person), and OP said the account will be blocked.

So, in worst case, a surviving family not only goes through grief, but hey... I'll leave the rest unsaid. I could say some very nasty thing culturally, but I'll leave it unsaid. Apologies.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri May 25, 2018 4:30 pm

nben wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 3:08 pm
betelgeuse wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 7:57 am
Exactly! You'd think so, won't you? Joint account means joint! But, in Finland, that is NOT the case, and pretty much up to the person sitting in front of you! I checked multiple times with three different banks, and some people in the same bank gave me a different answer. Basically, even if it is a joint account, it may be frozen. Like I gather, at the whim and fancy of the person in front!

Generally speaking, Danske and Nordea said the joint account can continue operations, but will be considered "perintö" (estate of a non-living person), and OP said the account will be blocked.
Finnish banks have many types of joint accounts. If you make it AND-account it will be frozen and if you make it OR-account you can continue using it.
If the account is in joint ownership and the other account holder dies, the estate replaces the deceased as the other joint owner of the account. If both the account holders have had the right to independently use the accounts, the estate of the deceased and the surviving account holder both have the right to separately use the account after the death of the other account holder. If the deceased and the surviving account holder have had the right to use the account only jointly, following the death of the other account holder, the estate and the surviving account holder only have the right to use the account jointly.
http://www.finanssivalvonta.fi/en/Finan ... fault.aspx

If the banks give you trouble, just quote the above from our local Financial Supervisory Authority. In practise you should be using online accounts and they will follow these rules.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri May 25, 2018 4:31 pm

It's also worth noting that there's a separate way to access accounts through powers of attorney. These usage rights will be cancelled at death.

nben

Post by nben » Fri May 25, 2018 10:00 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:31 pm
It's also worth noting that there's a separate way to access accounts through powers of attorney. These usage rights will be cancelled at death.
Interesting, would you please tell me more?

Yes, we do have a "tai" tili. I.e. an OR account. It is despite this that we got this information. Weird. Yep, I do know that page from the Finland FSA. And then the person sitting in front got all confused, and said she has to talk to legal! God help! :evil: