Import prohibited items

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
jack2012

Import prohibited items

Post by jack2012 » Wed May 30, 2018 10:07 am

Hi,

Is it illegal in Finland to order laptop battery(Li-on) from UK via ebay? Is battery comes under prohibited item and cannot be imported? Is it same for toy with wireless remote control?

Kiitos

Import prohibited items

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: Import prohibited items

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Wed May 30, 2018 10:23 am

Lithium-ion batteries are not prohibited in Finland (where did you get that idea? You probably have one in your phone). If anything, some carriers may refuse to deliver powerful laptop batteries (or lower power ones in quantity), as they require special handling as per the international postal/air cargo regulations.

riku2

Re: Import prohibited items

Post by riku2 » Thu May 31, 2018 11:40 am

the issues are with the way the package is delivered and I had an uninterruptible power supply returned several times to amazon because it had "contains lithium battery" on the box (even though the main battery in a UPS is lead acid, not LioN). Since amazon is run with minimal staff I couldn't even find out what was going wrong - why it was dispatched but then returned to edinburgh (took a while to find out that edinburgh is where the package was returned to). eventually I ordered it to a UK address and collected it in person then bought it home as checked baggage myself.

if you can specify the carrier then you can check what their rules are but amazon decide themselves how they will ship packages - you can't even guarantee that an item from amazon germany actually comes from germany. might come from amazon in the uk or italy, let alone knowing whether it's coming air or some other method.