Inheriting money!

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
tallman

Inheriting money!

Post by tallman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:55 am

I have a relative who died recently. He lived in Finland for the last few years of his life but was not married and had no children. He lived and worked in the UK for the majority of his life and paid UK taxes all his life. He had a UK passport and only spoke English and was only a British citizen. He made several trips here a year to visit relatives, doctors etc. He left no will.
I am being asked by a solicitor representing the Finnish government to prove he was domicile in the UK in order to inherit the money. If I cannot, it all goes to the Finnish government.
Anyone any idea how I do this? Can anyone recommend a solicitor with experience in this area?
Thanks

Inheriting money!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Inheriting money!

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:44 pm

tallman wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:55 am
I have a relative who died recently. He lived in Finland for the last few years of his life but was not married and had no children. He lived and worked in the UK for the majority of his life and paid UK taxes all his life. He had a UK passport and only spoke English and was only a British citizen. He made several trips here a year to visit relatives, doctors etc. He left no will.
Are there any siblings or their descendants, aunts or uncles alive?

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokse ... 011228.pdf
tallman wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:55 am
I am being asked by a solicitor representing the Finnish government to prove he was domicile in the UK in order to inherit the money. If I cannot, it all goes to the Finnish government.
Anyone any idea how I do this? Can anyone recommend a solicitor with experience in this area?
You started by stating that he was domiciled in Finland. How do you think they would prove domicile in UK with the exception of committing fraud?

tallman

Post by tallman » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:51 pm

Thank you for your post and the link. The only relatives left are 2 cousins. A third, my father, died last year.
The link you attached mentions citizenship being a major factor where there are no children, siblings and all parents are dead.
If domiciled means his place of birth, where he lived most of his life, and the origin of his passport and where he paid taxes, then that is the UK.
If domiciled means purely the place he lived in this context, then that would be Finland.
The guide appears to be subjective, which is probably why I got the letter.
A legal opinion from someone with expertise in this area is really what I need.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:43 pm

tallman wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:51 pm
A legal opinion from someone with expertise in this area is really what I need.
https://www.asianajajaliitto.fi/en/lega ... d_a_lawyer

tallman

Post by tallman » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks for the link. I have emailed a lawyer with experience in this area. See what happens!

suomynona.yllatot

Post by suomynona.yllatot » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:17 pm

There's a bit of ranting in here...

Hah! Finnish government leave the money? Give them a chance they'd take yours as well and more. It seems that the only scope is if there is a will left in your name. Else, the Finnish govt/ law doesn't consider you a heir to that money.

Why! They don't even consider antecedents or even children above the age of 18, or was it 16 to be eligible when the parents, e.g. immigrate here for work! There was this interesting case about a *real* *biological* child (14? or so) who had been earlier living with her parents in Thailand, mother in Finland. Don't remember more details, but initially even the child was not permitted to come to live in Finland, despite her mother being here. Not sure how it ended though.

And of course, there will be a few supports of Finland, I warmly welcome their criticism, but I am not one of them!

Ranting!
When it comes to my money, I have a simple concept: It is mine. Rightfully earned, and taxes paid on it. What I do with it is my issue. Get the #€%&/ lost. As such I tell everybody: I am earning for myself and my kids, not for your #€%&/U(IO idiots! But hey, robbers, when do they listen to reason. They are used to living on others money! Even the citizens sent in some sort of a initiative to the parliament. I'll acknowledge a miracle if these #€&/( beggars agree.
Yep, it is! What's the big deal?

Rasikko

Post by Rasikko » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:09 pm

Yeah my wife's dad went through that. Especially if it's a large inheritance, government acts like they want it all and will ask a lot of questions, while holding the money hostage.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:14 am

suomynona.yllatot wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:17 pm
When it comes to my money, I have a simple concept: It is mine. Rightfully earned, and taxes paid on it. What I do with it is my issue.
But if you don't make your will and keep it updated, then it isn't your issue.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

suomynona.yllatot

Post by suomynona.yllatot » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:06 pm

Hi
Rasikko wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:09 pm
Yeah my wife's dad went through that. ...government acts like they want it all and will ask a lot of questions, while holding the money hostage.
Can I ask: What was the end result?
Upphew wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:14 am
Thanks Upphew. Any suggestions? Contact a lawyer? Or a self-drafted will with witnesses suffice?

Basically, I want is this: My money, I leave to my kids. I paid taxes on it, is legal and lawfully earned. No matter the amount it is mine, and gifted to my kids, you govt. get none of it, neither through taxes or by grabbing it.

Why am I ranting? You see when I go to some of the "third world" countries, I know one has to bargain or will get fleeced. The seller knows I know it too! It is a kinda-fair-game! Here there's a unholy level of pretence, i.e. "we are honest". Nothing can be farther from the truth. Well! Almost.

My personal experience? I bought a electronic item, and rightfully went through the customs and declared it. I knew the amount that I would have to pay.

It was offset by 220 EUR!!! You know why? Because the !"#€%&/( office decided to use their own currency converter different from the banks, the ECB, and e.g. XE. That alone cost me. The customs duty, I was ok. But when they use unfair weights... and then talk of being a civilised #€%&/() nations - it gets to me. :evil:

And the inheritance tax issue: I am not too far off. Imagine a family (describing, without any prejudice). One parent is in a management job and earns higher. The other parent is in on a much lower income. Family have a house (e.g. 350K), two cars, some savings. The higher earning partner passes away. The inheritance tax on 1/2 the share of the house (175K), car 35K, and let's say, the higher earner's savings of 40K. Puts the tax burden of approximately 29.000 EUR. Where are the family going to come up with that amount? They have to sell the house. Not only do the children lose the parent, they now have lost the second place they feel secure, their home.

I have a complete aversion to this "#€%&/()= bunch of bigoted !"#¤%. These "#€%&/() have gotten used to living on others money!

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:19 pm

suomynona.yllatot wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:06 pm
Upphew wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:14 am
Thanks Upphew. Any suggestions? Contact a lawyer? Or a self-drafted will with witnesses suffice?
Home-made is fine. Two witnesses. I wouldn't bother with lawyers in "normal" cases. First link that I looked up: www.mklaw.fi/en/news/drawing-up-a-will-in-finland/

suomynona.yllatot

Post by suomynona.yllatot » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:21 am

Upphew wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:19 pm
Home-made is fine. Two witnesses. I wouldn't bother with lawyers in "normal" cases. First link that I looked up: www.mklaw.fi/en/news/drawing-up-a-will-in-finland/
:thumbsup: Thanks a ton!

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Note also that direct descendants are legally entitled to a certain amount of the estate *), which cannot be overruled by a will. There are certain circumstances, e.g. crimes committed against the deceased etc., which may void the entitlement.

*) E.g. three children, without a will each would get 1/3 of the estate, 1/6 each is mandated by law.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:51 pm

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:17 pm
Note also that direct descendants are legally entitled to a certain amount of the estate *), which cannot be overruled by a will. There are certain circumstances, e.g. crimes committed against the deceased etc., which may void the entitlement.

*) E.g. three children, without a will each would get 1/3 of the estate, 1/6 each is mandated by law.
Legitime seems to be the proper term in English. The will can be executed without legitime, unless someone entitled to it demands it.

undertakerfreak

Post by undertakerfreak » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:36 pm

suomynona.yllatot wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:17 pm
There's a bit of ranting in here...

Hah! Finnish government leave the money? Give them a chance they'd take yours as well and more. It seems that the only scope is if there is a will left in your name. Else, the Finnish govt/ law doesn't consider you a heir to that money.

Why! They don't even consider antecedents or even children above the age of 18, or was it 16 to be eligible when the parents, e.g. immigrate here for work! There was this interesting case about a *real* *biological* child (14? or so) who had been earlier living with her parents in Thailand, mother in Finland. Don't remember more details, but initially even the child was not permitted to come to live in Finland, despite her mother being here. Not sure how it ended though.

And of course, there will be a few supports of Finland, I warmly welcome their criticism, but I am not one of them!

Ranting!
When it comes to my money, I have a simple concept: It is mine. Rightfully earned, and taxes paid on it. What I do with it is my issue. Get the #€%&/ lost. As such I tell everybody: I am earning for myself and my kids, not for your #€%&/U(IO idiots! But hey, robbers, when do they listen to reason. They are used to living on others money! Even the citizens sent in some sort of a initiative to the parliament. I'll acknowledge a miracle if these #€&/( beggars agree.
Are you not the same guy who said in an earlier thread that you want to get the @#$% out of Finland because you got a speeding ticket and tried to blame everyone else?

Start by getting the @#$% out of this forum. Seriously, you're a pest with all this "the government is out to get me, screw Finland" bull-ish. Go away.

suomynona.yllatot

Post by suomynona.yllatot » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:26 pm

undertakerfreak wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:36 pm
Are you not the same guy who said in an earlier thread that you want to get the @#$% out of Finland because you got a speeding ticket and tried to blame everyone else?

Start by getting the @#$% out of this forum. Seriously, you're a pest with all this "the government is out to get me, screw Finland" bull-ish. Go away.
Okay, long flight, 23 hours, work trip, jet-lag, wasn't an incentive to reply right away. But just before going to sleep... and maybe it is the 8 beers!
undertakerfreak wrote:
Are you not the same guy who...
No !"#¤% Sherlock! What gave the most obvious away! :twisted:
undertakerfreak wrote:
that you want to get the @#$% out of Finland because you got a speeding ticket
Nope, read again! Did not get a ticket (at least till now), hate the game playing!
undertakerfreak wrote:
and tried to blame everyone else?
Nope, and it is NOT just me saying it. Even the "native" Finns say this. They are also fed up. And no, read again, I did not blame *everyone* else, but if you are understand implications, I refer to the the political greed and the stupidity in bureaucracy that comes up with these.

And no, I did not specifically blame "everyone" else.
undertakerfreak wrote:
the government is out to get me,
Wait till it starts to hit you, unless you are among the ones living OFF the dole, then of course, most, sorry, some of us will have another reason to dislike the likes of you!
undertakerfreak wrote:
Start by getting the @#$% out of this forum. Seriously, you're a pest with all this "the government is out to get me, screw Finland"
Go away.
Been a lot longer than you here mate, so sod off! I usually come across similar new wannabee's in Finland, they till realise the missus been french-kissing them after she'd ATM-d an ex or a colleague!
undertakerfreak wrote:
bull-ish.
Pretty sure the word ain't 'tish' baby! Anyway, out for the next 4 weeks, you have fun trolling!
Last edited by suomynona.yllatot on Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.