A newbie student, really need some advices.

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
fmthoangan

Post by fmthoangan » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:58 pm

I will touch Finland by 28th August for studying as freshmen at Saimaa
UAS. That's why many things will strange to newcomer like me :)
Especially the public procedures. If you don't mind, I have some concerns:

1. I've already got a RP card with social security number on the back of
the RP card with format like this mybirthday-1234 (1234 is just 4 demo numbers). Whether I need to go to maistraatti or not to get access benefits of
public health care.

2. Regarding Kela card, I did see their infos but I still not understand
that it's free or paid-on service. Is it a compulsory thing I have to owe,
isn't it?

Kiitos paljon :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tavastia

Re: A newbie student, really need some advices.

Post by tavastia » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:23 am

1. You need to go at Maistraatti and register as living to your address. Check on their website if they handle foreigner registration as not all the offices are doing that.

2. Kela card you normally cannot get as a foreign student as you are not covered by Finnish social system. You are required to have some insurance. However if you work during studies or other special case you may get it.

fmthoangan

Post by fmthoangan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:35 am

1. You need to go at Maistraatti and register as living to your address. Check on their website if they handle foreigner registration as not all the offices are doing that.

Thank your info so much. A few people rumor that the result of Maistraatti is Social Security Number, but I already had one when I got RP approval card. They said that next steps when I come to your great homeland is that I just visit Posti and fill form for registering as living. Honestly, I am really confused about this information. I really need to get into public health care for my treatment as soon as possible as processing in Maistraattil will take me time to get approval.
2. Kela card you normally cannot get as a foreign student as you are not covered by Finnish social system. You are required to have some insurance. However if you work during studies or other special case you may get it.
I got it. I will get one when I have all pre well-prepared documents.

Kiitos paljon tavastia!

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:10 am

fmthoangan wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:35 am
They said that next steps when I come to your great homeland is that I just visit Posti and fill form for registering as living. Honestly, I am really confused about this information. I really need to get into public health care for my treatment as soon as possible as processing in Maistraattil will take me time to get approval.
Same thing. You can fill the address change paper either at Posti or Maistraatti. In your case, it doesn't matter since you already have your hetu with you.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

fmthoangan

Post by fmthoangan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:15 am

Beep_Boop wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:10 am
fmthoangan wrote:
They said that next steps when I come to your great homeland is that I just visit Posti and fill form for registering as living. Honestly, I am really confused about this information. I really need to get into public health care for my treatment as soon as possible as processing in Maistraattil will take me time to get approval.
Same thing. You can fill the address change paper either at Posti or Maistraatti. In your case, it doesn't matter since you already have your hetu with you.
That's awesome. Thanks Beep_Boop so so much. :beer_yum: :beer_yum: :beer_yum:

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:24 am

fmthoangan wrote:
Thank your info so much. A few people rumor that the result of Maistraatti is Social Security Number, but I already had one when I got RP approval card. They said that next steps when I come to your great homeland is that I just visit Posti and fill form for registering as living. Honestly, I am really confused about this information. I really need to get into public health care for my treatment as soon as possible as processing in Maistraattil will take me time to get approval.
There is no social security number. Only a personal identity code. Having a personal identity code does not mean that you have access to social security. It used to be so that you had to apply from Maistraatti for the personal identity code but for a while now you have been able to do it with the residence permit application.

Access to primary care is not provided by having a Kela card. Primary care for students is provided by Finnish Student Health Service.

http://www.yths.fi/en/internationalstudents

fmthoangan

Post by fmthoangan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:57 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:24 am
fmthoangan wrote:
There is no social security number. Only a personal identity code. Having a personal identity code does not mean that you have access to social security. It used to be so that you had to apply from Maistraatti for the personal identity code but for a while now you have been able to do it with the residence permit application.

Access to primary care is not provided by having a Kela card. Primary care for students is provided by Finnish Student Health Service.

http://www.yths.fi/en/internationalstudents
Thank so much for your help.
I did not know that. As you mentioned, I got a personal identity code already. I will legally able to access to public health care cause I already got Swisscare insurance with covered 10k euros.
FSHS is not served student at Imatra. They said that South Karelia will take care me :)

Kiitos betelgeuse xoxo

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:26 pm

It does not matter you have the personal identity code, they need to see you in person that you moved in Finland at Maistratti to register your municipality.

http://maistraatti.fi/fi/Palvelut/kotik ... sterointi/

"Jos olet saanut henkilötunnuksen muualta kuin maistraatista ja haluat kotikunnan, sinun tulee aina käydä myös maistraatissa"

"If you have received the personal identity number from other office than Maistratti and you want to register your municipality is required to visit the office". You received it from Migri.

fmthoangan

Post by fmthoangan » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:16 pm

tavastia wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:26 pm
It does not matter you have the personal identity code, they need to see you in person that you moved in Finland at Maistratti to register your municipality.

http://maistraatti.fi/fi/Palvelut/kotik ... sterointi/

"Jos olet saanut henkilötunnuksen muualta kuin maistraatista ja haluat kotikunnan, sinun tulee aina käydä myös maistraatissa"

"If you have received the personal identity number from other office than Maistratti and you want to register your municipality is required to visit the office". You received it from Migri.
oh I must go to Maistratti asap because the process maybe take me little time :( Kiitos you so so much for helping me lahhh.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:20 am

In Helsinki it takes 1-2 weeks.

fmthoangan

Post by fmthoangan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:29 am

tavastia wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:20 am
In Helsinki it takes 1-2 weeks.
I will be in Imatra :( have no ideas about exactly the timeline. Just hope it would be faster :)