Waiting for RP decision while pregnant and need check ups!

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
KattyTheKityy

Post by KattyTheKityy » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:23 pm

Hi. I'm going to apply RP in Finland based on family ties and I'm now 9 weeks pregnant. Would like to know where can I get pregnancy checkups in Finland while waiting for RP decision? If you know any information, please let me know. Your help would be appreciated. Thank you. 🙏

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tavastia

Re: Waiting for RP decision while pregnant and need check ups!

Post by tavastia » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:46 am

Do you have personal identity code and Kela card?

If not -> private hospitals. There are plenty: Terveystalo, Mehilainen, etc

KattyTheKityy

Post by KattyTheKityy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:55 am

tavastia wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:46 am

Thanks a lot. I don't have personal identity code and kelat card yet. This is my first RP experience.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:51 pm

KattyTheKityy wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:55 am
tavastia wrote:

Thanks a lot. I don't have personal identity code and kelat card yet. This is my first RP experience.
The checkups don't require a Kela card. They require a municipality of residence in the population register. Family members can get a municipality of residence before the residence permit is processed.

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/1994/1994020

Basically apply in Maistraatti and then contact the public health care system in your municipality.

KattyTheKityy

Post by KattyTheKityy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:31 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:51 pm
KattyTheKityy wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:55 am
tavastia wrote:

The checkups don't require a Kela card. They require a municipality of residence in the population register. Family members can get a municipality of residence before the residence permit is processed.

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/1994/1994020

Basically apply in Maistraatti and then contact the public health care system in your municipality.
Hi, thanks for the information. 👍 Need to try to visit maistraati and ask about it.

undertakerfreak

Post by undertakerfreak » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:20 pm

Immigration seems to prioritize RPs for pregnant women, so you'll have it in no time.

KattyTheKityy

Post by KattyTheKityy » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:45 pm

undertakerfreak wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:20 pm
Immigration seems to prioritize RPs for pregnant women, so you'll have it in no time.
Who knows. We'll see how It goes. 😁

alucio

Post by alucio » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:38 pm

Hey there!
I recently just went through all of this so I hope I can help you out a bit.
I came to Finland in April and I found out I was 4 weeks pregnant two hours before my flight left the US :lol:

I applied for a RP based on family ties as well. It took me about 3 weeks to get approved (I proved my identity at the Oulu Migri even though I live in Etelä-Haaga as I heard it processed RPs quicker – it was DEFINITELY WORTH the 6 hour train ride both ways). Once I got my approval online, I had to wait for my card to come in the mail which took another two weeks or so. Once I had the card I went to the Maistraati in Helsinki and registered. It took me about 2-3 weeks to get my letter in the mail saying I was registered and what my Social Security code was. At that point I went to the Kela office and applied for benefits. I was told it takes 2-3 months to get your Kela card (I'm still waiting) and in the meantime I've been seen at a private clinic since my 6th week of pregnancy.

When I contacted Neuvola before my RP was processed and everything I was told I had to go to a private clinic and that if it wasn't processed in time I'd have to give birth at a private hospital as well so I made sure to find one right away.

I've just finished my paperwork at for the maternity package and child benefit; I'm not entitled to the maternity allowance as you have to have been an official resident in Finland for at least 6 months before your due date... well my RP was passed one week too late to qualify so that's out the window according to the lady I spoke to at the kela office, but other than that I'm fine. You do have to make sure you've been seen by a midwife before the end of our 4th month of pregnancy if you want any of these benefits, so I suggest setting a time up ASAP.

I do recommend Aava near Kamppi, they've been great and I'm definitely getting the care I need for my little one. I see Matti Ulander as my OB and Heli Läikkö as my midwife. They both speak great English and are really helpful.

I have yet to switch to the neuvola because I just love my midwife and doctors, plus Aava has some reimbursement system set up with kela so I know that my next visit will either cost less, or we will be reimbursed by kela once we submit all the bills we have started from when I officially had residence in Finland.

If you need more info or just someone to talk to, feel free to contact me! I'm still figuring my way out around Helsinki and would love to meet up with another mom-to-be. :)

Oh, and congratulations!

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:14 pm

alucio wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:38 pm
It took me about 2-3 weeks to get my letter in the mail saying I was registered and what my Social Security code was.
Finland has personal identity codes. The distinction is important because you can have a personal identity code and not be covered by social security.
alucio wrote:
When I contacted Neuvola before my RP was processed and everything I was told I had to go to a private clinic and that if it wasn't processed in time I'd have to give birth at a private hospital as well so I made sure to find one right away.
You were given bad advice.
alucio wrote:
I've just finished my paperwork at for the maternity package and child benefit; I'm not entitled to the maternity allowance as you have to have been an official resident in Finland for at least 6 months before your due date... well my RP was passed one week too late to qualify so that's out the window according to the lady I spoke to at the kela office, but other than that I'm fine. You do have to make sure you've been seen by a midwife before the end of our 4th month of pregnancy if you want any of these benefits, so I suggest setting a time up ASAP.
"Jos oleskelulupaa on haettu ulkomaalaislain 60 §:ssä tarkoitetuissa tapauksissa Suomessa ja se on myönnetty, tämän lain mukainen oleskelulupavaatimus täyttyy jo lupahakemuksen jättämisestä."

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 1573#L2P3c

The clock can start from the day of your RP application. If you get a decision for coverage from the date of your decision, you should appeal it.

tavastia

Post by tavastia » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:33 am

Legally yes you have right to everything, but field reality is different. You don't get anything from Maistratti without RP, yes there are few exceptions but is 99% they will not give you any personal identity number with municipality of residence without a RP.

KattyTheKitty

Post by KattyTheKitty » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:37 pm

Hey guys, Neuvola called my husband and they said that I can get check up for free. I dunno how is that possible since I don't have a RP yet. They will come for us too. My husband only said "My mom did it". I dunno how she managed to do that. But I'm glad that my mom in law cares about me and our baby.

KattyTheKitty

Post by KattyTheKitty » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:48 pm

alucio wrote:
Hey there!
I recently just went through all of this so I hope I can help you out a bit.
I came to Finland in April and I found out I was 4 weeks pregnant two hours before my flight left the US :lol:

I applied for a RP based on family ties as well. It took me about 3 weeks to get approved (I proved my identity at the Oulu Migri even though I live in Etelä-Haaga as I heard it processed RPs quicker – it was DEFINITELY WORTH the 6 hour train ride both ways). Once I got my approval online, I had to wait for my card to come in the mail which took another two weeks or so. Once I had the card I went to the Maistraati in Helsinki and registered. It took me about 2-3 weeks to get my letter in the mail saying I was registered and what my Social Security code was. At that point I went to the Kela office and applied for benefits. I was told it takes 2-3 months to get your Kela card (I'm still waiting) and in the meantime I've been seen at a private clinic since my 6th week of pregnancy.

I do recommend Aava near Kamppi, they've been great and I'm definitely getting the care I need for my little one. I see Matti Ulander as my OB and Heli Läikkö as my midwife. They both speak great English and are really helpful.

I have yet to switch to the neuvola because I just love my midwife and doctors, plus Aava has some reimbursement system set up with kela so I know that my next visit will either cost less, or we will be reimbursed by kela once we submit all the bills we have started from when I officially had residence in Finland.

If you need more info or just someone to talk to, feel free to contact me! I'm still figuring my way out around Helsinki and would love to meet up with another mom-to-be. :)

Oh, and congratulations!
Ah, thank you for your information. And I'm not living in Helsinki. And I'm going to pass my first trimester very soon. Our first baby is so well-behaved just like its daddy. I don't have dizziness or such things. I barely throw up which is good. It's predicted to be born in the end of March or the beginning of April. 😀