How do you obtain a vehicles full service history?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
C3MKY

Post by C3MKY » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:29 pm

I purchased a vehicle a few months ago, it was from a dealer, and big sales garage, not a main dealer, and the vehicle came with a service book, the type in the leather binder, but no previous invoices, no receipts showing anything that has been done to the vehicle in the 7 years since it was manufactured, and I find this a little odd.

Having lived in the Uk most of my life, and owning in the past some 30+ cars during the 80's to 2000, I always had FSH with most of my cars, and anything, no matter how small, I kept all receipts for anything IO purchased for an owned car, be it wipers, tyres, and any parts. All these were documented, and put in a folder, so when I sold the car, the new owner would know the car history.

Is this not the case here in Finland? I find it quite odd, I spoke with my Finnish wife, and she's telling me its normal to not have paperwork from previous owners of a vehicle based on privacy laws?

Am I crazy thinking this is stupid?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

C3MKY

Re: How do you obtain a vehicles full service history?

Post by C3MKY » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:45 pm

Having done some research, I found this website which I can purchase all the information I need for my newly purchased vehicle, but the question is, is this a legit website?

https://www.autorekisteri.fi/

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:50 am

It depends on the previous owner(s) (not any law) what kind or if any records are kept, there is no central registry for car maintenance data. Websites are likely re-selling the information available from Trafi: https://asiointi.trafi.fi/en/henkiloasi ... topalvelut

It's common to keep a record of having followed the manufacturer's maintenance schedule in a "huoltokirja", a booklet that comes with the car, at least until the car's warranty period runs out. Receipts, more detailed information,... is more of a thing with enthusiast type-of-cars, for which such has more meaning for the resale value, especially if modified.

For common cars in daily use, the older the car, the less meaning any possible records have. In addition to having passed the last inspection, any sane prospective buyer will check the car's condition more throroughly anyway. Even if maintained, there's no telling how it has been actually used.

C3MKY

Post by C3MKY » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:01 am

Thanks for that, I appreciate it. I will purchase the history and see what I get for my €5 euros.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:03 am

C3MKY wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:01 am
Thanks for that, I appreciate it. I will purchase the history and see what I get for my €5 euros.
I'd be surprised to see if there's anything more than what's available from Trafi for 2€, where else could they even have sourced the data, as it's not mandatory to store e.g. maintenance history anywhere...
Last edited by FinnGuyHelsinki on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

C3MKY

Post by C3MKY » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:09 am

True, what I'm specifically trying to find out is when the eberspacher engine coolant heater was fitted, and which model it is, reason being, I'm converting this vehicle into a motor home, and plan on fitting a warm air eberspacher in the rear, so ideally need to know if any components are plug and play for the control panel.

Currently the eberspacher engine heater is set up and controlled through the dashboard computer, but ideally I wish to add the add ons so I can add easy start via remote, and phone.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:16 am

I'd be trying to get a look at the actual unit whether there's markings on it, based on which search the Internet. Even though I have kept receipts for my own car, I'm not sure if I could find out some heater element model otherwise even if I wanted to.

C3MKY

Post by C3MKY » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:20 am

Thats the plan should no information be available, I suspect its the D4 unit which is suitable for engines up to 2.0, which mine is, looks like I need to get under the van with a flashlight and see if I can find the unit, and see if any serial numbers are visible.

Thanks again my friend.