Car electric problem. Any auto electrician?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
seti

Post by seti » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:43 pm

Hello,

There is power outlet in my car which made later by former owner. I want to use car int. heater on cold days but power outlet doesn't work. I don't think it's a serious problem but it's not easy when you don't understand.

Is there anyone here to help me? (Tomorrow is Sunday and it'd be super nice to sort this out. Pls send pm for labor cost) Or you can suggest a garage as well.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

DMC

Re: Car electric problem. Any auto electrician?

Post by DMC » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:25 pm

Let's just check the obvious first. I assume you have a mains-style power outlet, probably in the passenger footwell. This is not powered by the car electrical system. Instead you have to plug the car into a mains outlet at your home so that the heater runs for a while and gets the car interior warm ready for when you go out in the morning. Typically there is also an engine block heater that warms the engine, or at least the oil.
Take a look at the front bumper. You will probably find a socket behind a little cover. This is where you plug in the heater. There should be a lead in the car somewhere to fit that socket at one end with a normal mains electrical plug at the other. If you find the socket but have no lead you can buy a lead at most fuel stations or Biltema or similar places.
Apologies if this is obvious and you really do have an issue that needs an electrician.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:50 pm

the power socket inside is normally a modular one like this ("Interior socket") with it's own socket for the cable leading to the connector on the front of the car

https://www.leab.eu/en/products/plugs-a ... iplug.html

So it's possible that the cable going into the side of the interior socket (red ring around it) has come loose (possible since this is often near the passengers feet).

seti

Post by seti » Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:10 pm

Yes, now I understand the logic of it. :) thank you DMC and riku2 :beer_yum: