Waiting for job contract

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
AnnikaL

Waiting for job contract

Post by AnnikaL » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:10 pm

I have been offered, and accepted, a post at a Finnish University. I'm waiting for HR to sign off and send me the contract, in the mean time I am getting nervous. What is the likelihood that having been offered the job they will change their mind. Does this sort of thing happen a lot in Finland? I'm sure it does happen, but not sure if it's common. Has this happened to anyone?

BTW before you say it, yes, I'm sure I'm overthinking this it's just nerves about having already had to make decisions on other offered posts in the UK.

They asked for some details yesterday to help prepare the contract. They said very rarely does the head of HR decline to green light the contract.

Image Image
Hämä-hämähäkki kiipes langalle

Waiting for job contract

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

wolf80

Re: Waiting for job contract

Post by wolf80 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:08 pm

I wouldn't worry, it took forever and three days to get my contract. It first had to be signed by some high-ranking members of staff, and they all were behind with administrative work. Nothing ever goes fast at an university!

To be able to register with the police (EU-citizen) I had a letter of invitation from the university, that was also enough to apply for KELA as far as I remember (but we're talking five years ago here).

In Finland it is highly unlikely that you would not get the contract after you were promised it, especially at university. You can try and push people, but if you are unlucky it then takes longer and not shorter to get it. Get used to it, you are in the system, and you will get your contract as soon as people get to it. Annoy them too much and they might 'misplace' it for a while simply to teach you a lesson about the country. Welcome to Finland.

AnnikaL

Re: Waiting for job contract

Post by AnnikaL » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:01 am

Thanks, yes, I sent one (hopefully) polite email inquiring about the contract as I am busy making quite important decisions, after which they asked me for some details to help prepare it. Now I am posting here exactly *so* I don't start annoying them :lol: I may give them a nudge mid next week though if I don't hear anything. I think following up once every 10 days is 'interested' rather than 'rude'.
Image Image
Hämä-hämähäkki kiipes langalle