Opening a restaurant in the Oulu region...

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
epc

Post by epc » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:37 am

Hi Folks,

I am considering trying to open a small "diner" style restaurant in Oulu that serves North American and Canadian style food.
I was wondering if anyone had any good links or info regarding the licensing and permit requirements for opening a restaurant in Finland.
Also, how difficult is it for a foreigner (who arrived with only a travellers visa) to get a residence permit and open a business?
Does this seem like a realistic possibility for a couple who are new to the country but eager to stay for good?
Thanks for your help,
Cheers :D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:34 am

how difficult is it for a foreigner (who arrived with only a travellers visa) to get a residence permit

I wouldn't say "difficult" is the right word here. I'd be asking "how impossible"... you'd need to have a load of capital. And it would be easier to buy an existing restaurant than start from scratch. Of course then you need various certificates like the hygiene pass and alcohol pass etc. But why Oulu - have you made a SWOT analysis there is going to be anybody coming to the diner when the neigbour has 5 euro pizza & kebab?

The idea of "a small "diner" style restaurant in Oulu that serves North American and Canadian style food" is not bad at all - we have a few wannabe-American cuisine restaurants. (I say wannabe- as everyone from the US disses them seriously) There might be a bigger demand for Canadian delicacies as poutine in the south though.
Last edited by Hank W. on Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

karen

Post by karen » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:39 am

My local Indian restaurant is busting at the seams. Everyone loves a good curry. What kind of American/Canadian food would you serve? I can't imagine there would be much of a demand anywhere for that. You would need a gimmick like the Hard Rock Cafe has. Even Planet Hollywood didn't last long in Helsinki.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:42 am

Oh, bring me "Miami Subs" anytime :lol: I'd be busting at the seams.

This "Chicos" chain seems to have picked up. And all those wannabe-texmexmixup places.
Cheers, Hank W.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:43 am

Tadpole'sMommy wrote:My local Indian restaurant is busting at the seams.

Is that the one near Sello or the one in Olari? I've never been to the Leppavaara place... is it any good?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:45 am

Well, the Indian guys working at Nokia across from Sello said its pretty decent considering... :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.

agn71

Post by agn71 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:05 am

It might be easier or not: http://www.diner.fi/franchising.php

karen

Post by karen » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:41 pm

penelope wrote:

Is that the one near Sello or the one in Olari? I've never been to the Leppavaara place... is it any good?

It's the one in Leppävaara. We eat there at least once a week, but usually more often.

sunnysideup

Post by sunnysideup » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:04 pm

Hi,

I don't really know about the legal side of getting a perminent visa for opening up a business but I have a few ideas about the restaurant business here, in Oulu.

First of all, I really think that sizewise it makes a lot more sense to open a restaurant in a bigger city than Oulu. Oulu is quiet small, and in my opinion people only move around the small-Rotuaari. Any place out of that "few blocks "is hard to survive. Restaurants around the Railway Station or anywhere else seem to be going out of business at all times...The problem with the Rotuaari area is the incredibly high rents, I would be surprised if a small American diner could easily survive there.

There are a few restaurants serving American ( Tex-Mex type mostly ) which are on the perfect spot, and rather expensive. I agree that the neighbor's 5 euro pizzas/ kebabs, or the Hesburgers might be more appealing to a Fin, since they are quiet price conscious when it comes to food. ( at least in a small place like Oulu). Or if they are willing to pay for food, they would rather go somewhere fancy-elegant like Amarillo or some authentic restaurants, not to a small diner...

That is what I think, I think a small store seling gyros, burritos or pizzas can make good money, if the location is right, or a big fancy restaurant could, but a small size American diner in Oulu doesn't sound like a money-maker to me...

sunnysideup

Post by sunnysideup » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:07 pm

Hi,

I don't really know about the legal side of getting a perminent visa for opening up a business but I have a few ideas about the restaurant business here, in Oulu.

First of all, I really think that sizewise it makes a lot more sense to open a restaurant in a bigger city than Oulu. Oulu is quiet small, and in my opinion people only move around the small-Rotuaari. Any place out of that "few blocks "is hard to survive. Restaurants around the Railway Station or anywhere else seem to be going out of business at all times...The problem with the Rotuaari area is the incredibly high rents, I would be surprised if a small American diner could easily survive there.

There are a few restaurants serving American ( Tex-Mex type mostly ) which are on the perfect spot, and rather expensive. I agree that the neighbor's 5 euro pizzas/ kebabs, or the Hesburgers might be more appealing to a Fin, since they are quiet price conscious when it comes to food. ( at least in a small place like Oulu). Or if they are willing to pay for food, they would rather go somewhere fancy-elegant like Amarillo or some authentic restaurants, not to a small diner...

That is what I think, I think a small store seling gyros, burritos or pizzas can make good money, if the location is right, or a big fancy restaurant could, but a small size American diner in Oulu doesn't sound like a money-maker to me...

Richard

Post by Richard » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:02 pm

Tadpole'sMommy wrote:
penelope wrote:

It's the one in Leppävaara. We eat there at least once a week, but usually more often.

I only tried it the once at lunchtime, and didn't rate it.

Maybe have to try it again.

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:25 pm

Aside from the OP's small (read: huge) problem of not having a residence or working permit... I submit that done right, a diner would do gangbusters in most cities in Finland.

Especially if you cater to late night hunger (people out on the town for the night)... I mean look at the endless queues in front of dodgy (at best) makkara wagons at 12 midnight! In a diner, employee costs would be about the same as in a busy kioski... One server, one short order cook, done. French fries? Burgers? Hot Dogs? These are not exotic foods, people. Add pyttipannu and a few makkara, and you'd be in business.

How this thread started in on how good curries are, I don't know!

If the OP had been some guy from Pakistan who wanted to know his prospects of opening a Kebab in Herttoniemi, I think the responses would leaned a little more positively.

I think a diner (with the right price/service) would do well here.

However, an appropriate visa and aforementioned capital is paramount to getting this done.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:37 pm

If you look at the diner franchise above - it is pretty much looking like a "fancy" restaurant. There are "diners" albeit "Finnish style" around. Ever been to Klaukkala "Rollssi"? The reason most of these have disappeared from Helsinki was the zoning and competition from the pizzakebab + hesburger. Oh yes, and the pricing of the locales. Nothing wrong with the concept though.
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:39 pm

superiorinferior wrote:Aside from the OP's small (read: huge) problem of not having a residence or working permit...

Oh but thats the least important factor apparently - its all peaches and cream.
Cheers, Hank W.

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:52 pm

Hank W. wrote:If you look at the diner franchise above - it is pretty much looking like a "fancy" restaurant. There are "diners" albeit "Finnish style" around. Ever been to Klaukkala "Rollssi"? The reason most of these have disappeared from Helsinki was the zoning and competition from the pizzakebab + hesburger. Oh yes, and the pricing of the locales. Nothing wrong with the concept though.

So you're suggesting that zoning laws have caused the present situation of the Finnish late-night drunk?

Due to these special interest lobbying groups (read: Hesburger and McD) pressuring city councils to keep the little guy out of the realm of competition... Now the modern Finnish drunk is relegated to stand in an icy cold queue, waiting and waiting, to then inhale a makkaraperunatkaikkimausteet bought from the few remaining coins in his pockets, then stumble behind the kioski to retch it up in a fiery blaze of kestup and kurk!

I have never, in my recollection, been to Klaukkala period. Too far. :wink: