Looking for work, in Web design

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
shrecher

Re: Looking for work, in Web design

Post by shrecher » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:09 pm

rauginta_kojine wrote:This is not to the topic anyhow...but hey, does someone from you know, how to get some experience if every employer wants a person already with some experience? How to get a job in this way? Its not only a problem in Finland, its everywhere...
1. internship.
2. open source, look at sf.net
3. shareware or own projects

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

mgcarley

Post by mgcarley » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:41 pm

Yeah thats the problem - they all want someone with experience. Of course, most experienced developers are probably already working somewhere, so, chances are, you're competing with a lot of fresh graduates anyway.

Might I suggest going for something that says 2 years experience, even if you only have 1... of course, it all depends on what *type* of experience you have... of course, education is preferred over sheer competence. If you have experience but no certifications, you'll have trouble. If you have certifications (especially from a Finnish university), it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Analyze your own situation, and if you *really* think you can be more useful to the company than someone else, (and are willing to demonstrate as such) - if you see a listing, and fulfill everything except the level of experience, you might need to show them that you're fully capable. Prove it to the employer, but don't talk too much about it. Finns have a saying - "The empty can rattles the loudest" or something like that.

Maybe you could call the employer and ask if they'd like you to send them a code sample or something like that - persistence that you really want the job and show some previous results (as noted above). I can't stress the importance of networking. I've made a lot of friends and colleagues in bars, in saunas and at parties (not to mention at gatherings of various entrepreneur groups).

There are also a lot of startups in Helsinki, so I suggest finding groups of entrepreneurs and trying to mingle - you might find someone who is hiring. Use things like LinkedIn as well. Even Facebook has some groups... it's not an easy market to break in to, so word of mouth I think is quite important.

There is a lot of things you can do. Be creative with your approach, and you may be pleasantly surprised - or not, I can't really say.

Finally, note that you probably won't get sponsorship from your employer for a residence permit (assuming you don't have one already)...
Why do Finns always ask why I'm here? ...And why can they always answer their own question in 1 guess?

shrecher

Post by shrecher » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:50 pm

mgcarley wrote:Yeah thats the problem - they all want someone with experience. Of course, most experienced developers are probably already working somewhere, so, chances are, you're competing with a lot of fresh graduates anyway.
I would not say there are lot of of fresh graduates. No, as most of them were already taken by companies on last stages of they education program. Large companies partnering with universities and pickup good staff on that stage. Beside that not so many yougn people go to IT as well as no so many go to dev. track.

So, don't be scared, your passion and energy are most important factors to find first job. Submit your CV to every potentially possible vacation and refresh daily CV at monster.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:11 pm

Except you forget that there are multiple levels for education in Finland.

University, technical, polytech... And their alternative versions like datanome education.

There are graduates in plentiful amounts out there. And many have interest to take job where they can get it. And move to get the job, as lots of education takes place outside main growth areas as well.

Once again, shrecher speaks of things he apparently knows not of.

sweb

Post by sweb » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:03 am

thanks for replying. i want to see some of the best web designers and developers in Finland to comparison my work with them. i'm the top of best php programmer and web designers in my country and in my official programmer forum of my country i'm a moderator. but i know how is difrent working in my country (Iran) from Finland?
See my personal blog : http://www.mhf.ir/

rinso

Post by rinso » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:51 am

sweb, don't hijack someone else's topic, but start your own. That way you get more and better answers.