Where do immigrants work?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
_Traveller

Post by _Traveller » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:03 pm

Hello!
The subject is of interest to me. In what areas do immigrants work mostly in Finland? Is it qualified job or not?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

EP

Post by EP » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Isn´t it obvious that it totally depends on the immigant? You cannot lecture at the university if you don´t have qualifications for it.

rinso

Post by rinso » Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:00 pm

In what areas do immigrants work mostly in Finland?
Greater Helsinki area.

cwcnow

Post by cwcnow » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:37 pm

If a white collar job they are at their desks :lol:

Can you be a little more specific or you will continue getting smart ass answers... or none at all...

Eledi

work

Post by Eledi » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:29 am

immigrants do something in citizens offices, usually late in the evening, when citizens go home to rest, the thing is, when citizens come to their offices the next morning, the place has to be clean and in order....what areas? usually in offices, but also shops,restaurants etc
ok, job seeker(immigrant) welcome to Finland...

Profboby

Post by Profboby » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:01 am

Immigrant can work in any area of jobs in Finland it all depends on your qualifications and your Finnish language skills, so what is the qualification that you are having? Do you speak very good finnish? In Finand with the above qualification you are as qualified as the Finns and without them you are as.......(too worse for words too explain), hope you speak good finnish and you have an acceptable professional qualification.

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:02 am

Immigrants here do whatever jobs are available at the time, ie. don't be too picky. :wink:

raamv

Post by raamv » Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:36 am

here there and everywhere..

_Traveller

Post by _Traveller » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:19 am

Profboby, in summer I'm completing education in University and will have degree in Radioengineering and Telecommunication (engineer).
Now I'm working as C++ programmer in Center of satellite communication.
My finnish is on the up and up from day to day. I'm hardly studying it.

That's who I am)
what could you tell about that?

shrecher

Post by shrecher » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:15 pm

_Traveller wrote:Profboby, in summer I'm completing education in University and will have degree in Radioengineering and Telecommunication (engineer).
Now I'm working as C++ programmer in Center of satellite communication.
My finnish is on the up and up from day to day. I'm hardly studying it.

That's who I am)
what could you tell about that?
I would suggest you to improve C++, then Finnish. There are quite of few international companies here who will be glad to hire you with good C++/Java and similar skills (experience is very important too).
Last edited by shrecher on Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:04 pm

I would recommend freshing up on skills.

C++ is good start to learn C#. Today most employers are all about .NET
Another tech you would want to know to get more opportunities is PHP and MySQL.

.NET and PHP fields will cover nicely most open vacancies in IT front.

And despite what you are told, if you are going to work in Finland it's your language skills which will carry the day.
Huge majority of your work colleagues will be finns. While company language might be english and you might be employed despite poor finnish skills you will find yourself in unenviable position of being the odd one unless you find place with other immigrants.

Social interactions might be hard to come by as it is common that for example coffee break discussions will turn into finnish between natives.

Also, large international companies only hire so many people. Lots of work in IT is to be found in PK (small to medium) sector. This is where you will most likely be the ONLY foreigner in the house. And above problems will be even bigger. That is assuming they are going to hire you instead of one of the dozens of applicants who are finnish, have been toying around with computers for their whole life and so forth.

Your biggest hope is to compensate your lack in language through experience. But it will only help you against inexperienced competition.

Whatever you are told, remember that in Finland in most job situations will deal with finns. Finns for some reason prefer to deal in finnish.

What I am trying to say, and which has been said here many times is...

No habla suomi, no job. Yes, there are possibilities for getting one of those lucky jobs where they ignore your lack of language skills.

Like there is possibility of winning lottery. But nobody builds their budget based on assumption on winning in lottery. So never presume you can get job in Finland without solid finnish skills.

_Traveller

Post by _Traveller » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:58 pm

Just as side note, while you are single or have a small family for IT workers Finland is not good country to stay. Look for Europe, UK, US, OZ.

shrecher, why? Is it uncomfortable living with small family or single? explain please abovementioned.

Mook

Post by Mook » Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:43 pm

_Traveller wrote:
Just as side note, while you are single or have a small family for IT workers Finland is not good country to stay. Look for Europe, UK, US, OZ.
shrecher, why? Is it uncomfortable living with small family or single? explain please abovementioned.
Single is OK. But couples have separate taxes, so if only one parent works they get reamed by vero karhu. Finland is designed for both parents working...
---
Image http://blog.enogastronomist.com | http://blog.enogastronomisti.com

shrecher

Post by shrecher » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:32 am

_Traveller wrote:

first of all, I didn't say uncomfortable.

next, answer here: http://www.yle.fi/news/id75949.html

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:28 am

Mook wrote:
_Traveller wrote:
Single is OK. But couples have separate taxes, so if only one parent works they get reamed by vero karhu. Finland is designed for both parents working...

It's not the taxes which can get to you.

It's how spouse income can affect variety of payments for other one.

Personal experience, I got a job and we moved with it. My better half registered into lists of one of those job agencies which give her short jobs here and there.

Of course since her income is very unreliable she wants money from Kela for days and weeks when she is not making money.

Catch? I'm working. Kela bastards demanded copy of my job contract since it affects her!