Qualified (Can/UK), Experienced High School English Teacher

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
pierre c

Post by pierre c » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:14 pm

Greetings. I'm a Canadian born and educated high school teacher. I taught English for 5 years in Canada, and I have been teaching English in London, UK since 2001 (seventh school year now). I have obtained Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), which all Overseas Qualified Teachers are supposed to complete within 4 years of teaching in the UK.

My Finnish fiance and I are planning to move to Helsinki in the next 2 years (july/aug 2009 latest). Hence, I'm looking for work, including tutoring and supply teaching.

Advice appreciated. If you'd like to see my c/v, let me know.

Kind regards to all.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

mCowboy

Post by mCowboy » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:20 pm

The best advice:

Read the stickies and do searches about the subjects you want to know about. And AFTER THOSE, then ask the questions, if you haven't found the answers you're looking for.

Most things have been discussed over and over on this forum.
Get in there...

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:46 pm

Well, as you are an "unqualified" teacher in Finland until you get your degrees recognised by the National Board of Education, I'd read this thoroughly and get the deed done, as there are teaching jobs out there but your pay depends directly on if you are qualified (not if you can teach) :twisted: ... and non-EU degrees are always slightly suspect.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

pierre c

Post by pierre c » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:24 am

Hank W./ mCowboy:

Thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated. I'll follow it up shortly.

:D

Cod

Post by Cod » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:45 pm

..I reckon I could do with a course in English by the time you get here...some bloke used 'symbiosis' in a sentence the other day, turned to me to make sure it was used in the right context... like why would I know :evil:

..just because you know the 4 syllable synonym of 'get along'...is it really necessary..

..anyway, you're kinda early mate - read the forum and write back when you've handed in your notice to work and are heading out..

pierre c

yep, i'm early

Post by pierre c » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:34 pm

Yeah, I know I'm a bit early, but time is flying reeeeeeally fast in Ldn. i just thought i'd do a little investigating...like Columbo. Minus the car, rumpled trench coat, cigar...

Actually, nothing like Columbo.

Symbiosis, eh? Don't think I've ever worked that in to a conversation.

Cod

Post by Cod » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:29 pm

..oh, and main thing...bring your own cars and motorbikes...even better- you're earning sterling so buy a tax free car six months before you leave for Finland.

You can drive it in UK on export plates, you won't have to pay any parking fines or speeding camera tickets (Finland wasn't on board with swapping that data as of two years ago) and the you get to avoid paying the extra %22 finn tax plus luxury tax, and only pay UK tax.

If you don't buy new, then you must buy second hand from somewhere in UK like the Lefthand Drive Place...you'll need a car in Finland and your teachers wage probably wont cover buying one when you get here!

But you must buy the tax free car 6 months before you arrive in Finland, and buy it from Finland so there's no issue with MOT over here..

..and get a big fat car, an Aston Martin DBS is ideal since they are taxed to death here..and you can sell it after three years for vast, vast amounts of money :D

pierre c

Post by pierre c » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:27 pm

maybe i should just deal cars... :lol: