2Offers , which one to choose

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
hackoff

Post by hackoff » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:32 pm

hi ,

yesterday i got a call from TietoEnator proposing me a Testing Job ( salary around 2200€ ) and in the other i got a summer trainne in Nokia as a developer ( 1800 € )

i didnt make a final decision and am asking you to guide in this matter regarding :

- Still Studying ( the contract with tietoEnator seems to be long term i think over a year ... )
- Do not like very much Testing comparing to programming.
- My wife is pregnant
If you were me ? what will be your decision
Cheers

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

raamv

Re: 2Offers , which one to choose

Post by raamv » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:36 pm

A summer trainee is temp. after which you are back to square 1.
Since you "want" to be a developer, and if you have the skills to prove it, there is a chance that you will be hired full time.
But If you dont know about testing, then it provides you with a new set of challenges and eyes to see development from a different (broader) perspective..and opens your blinds a little more..
and If €400 is not of much use to you, you can give that to me!! :wink:

raamv

Post by raamv » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:37 pm

and oh yes, considering that the raises are on par or a little below par of the inflation average ( 3%), you are far better starting off with a higher salary!! :wink:

hackoff

Post by hackoff » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:42 pm

thanks raamv, i somehow was thinking the smae

now i have done till now 2 different jobs in testing , i am just afraid if i continue in that way i will end up doing testing till the end of my working life .
i think having a trainee with such an international company makes a CV a bit shinning

cheers

raamv

Post by raamv » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:47 pm

its easier to change rooms in a house once you are in than when you are not!! :wink:
Give a stint at testing, since you have experience, at the same time, learn the development environment, and then when the time is ripe. move over..
At least if your manager is honest, they will strive to make sure that you get appropriate training to make that change..but mention this once your testing period is over!! :roll: :wink:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:25 pm

TE has programmer jobs and internal mobility. Its easier to work from the inside if you know what I mean.
Last edited by Hank W. on Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Mölkky-Fan

Post by Mölkky-Fan » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:41 pm

- My wife is pregnant
Run like hell!

Seriously, this question is something you have to answer by yourself... time to grow up and make your own decisions, not ask a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Here is my advice: Is money an issue? I guess so as you mention wages, if so go for the higher paid job... you can always change later. But as you mentioned that you have a wife and a child on the way, which both tend to be rather expensive, a bit more money will certainly come in handy.

Also, relationships are often put under stress with a lack of money so less money = more problems.

If you are stinking rich, then go for the job you prefer... or better still move to somewhere hot and drink cocktails all day by the beach.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.

hackoff

Post by hackoff » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:24 pm

Mölkky-Fan wrote:
- My wife is pregnant
Run like hell!

Seriously, this question is something you have to answer by yourself... time to grow up and make your own decisions, not ask a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Here is my advice: Is money an issue? I guess so as you mention wages, if so go for the higher paid job... you can always change later. But as you mentioned that you have a wife and a child on the way, which both tend to be rather expensive, a bit more money will certainly come in handy.

Also, relationships are often put under stress with a lack of money so less money = more problems.

If you are stinking rich, then go for the job you prefer... or better still move to somewhere hot and drink cocktails all day by the beach.
Thanks for your reply , for sure i wont make a decision on peoples views AT ALL
i just would like to know what would the others do in my case
again thanks and for all the other

Cheers