vacation days gained during äitysloma&vanhempainvapaa?

Useful advice on jobs, careers and entrepreneurship in Finland. Find job postings, job information, work permits and more.
Spectra

Post by Spectra » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:18 pm

I've been on maternity leave (äitysloma), parental leave(vanhenpainvapaa) then childcare leave(is that what it's called?) (hoitovapaa) and my three years of being at home is coming up. I'm wondering, and I ask this here because I don't know where else to ask and I want to know my rights before getting back in touch with my employer, have I been gaining vacation days since I've been at home? My husband thinks that if I do, then it would be just from the time I was on äitysloma and vanhenpainvapaa (about 9 months total?). Some basic info on me--I worked full-time with a permanent contract for several years before going on leave, and have since gained all the regular KELA benefits.

Thanks thanks thanks.

Spectra 8)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: vacation days gained during äitysloma&vanhempainvapaa?

Post by Hank W. » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:49 pm

Well... yes you accrue during äitiysloma but you need to check what it says in your union contract of how the holidays accrue and can be "transferred" over as normally you cannot save holidays over several years as they have stipulations there. So like you would have been on äitysloma and vanhempainvapaa and then on "loma" before the hoitovapaa... hoitovapaa isn't holiday accruing.

OK, so I found this off ERTO
Työntekijä ansaitsee vuosilomaa äitiys-, erityisäitiys-, isyys- ja vanhempainvapaan aikana. Hoitovapaan aikana vuosilomaa ei kerry.

Ansaittu vuosiloma pidetään vuosilomalain säännösten mukaisesti. Jos työntekijä jatkaa vanhempainvapaan jälkeen hoitovapaalla, on hyvä sopia työnantajan kanssa jo ansaitun vuosiloman pitämisestä. Vuosiloman voi tällaisessa tapauksessa pitää esimerkiksi vanhempainvapaan päätyttyä ennen hoitovapaan alkamista. Tällöin työntekijälle maksetaan vuosiloman ajalta palkka sekä lomaraha.

We have 3 guys just been on pappis and they've been ranting over the KELA and system... thats how I know this - or what did you think nerds talk over coffee :lol: ...the employers are very eager to screw people over with these and you need to be intricately familiar of "the system".
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Spectra

Post by Spectra » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:29 pm

Yeah, I figured I'd have to check with the union about that as well. The only thing is, I myself am not part of a union, but the workplace is (or was, at least, when I was working there). So, silly question, but I should check with the union of the workplace, yeah?

Thanks for your help Hank!

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:15 pm

Yeah, the way the "system" works here its the union contract that sets the "base rules", and they're more or less comprehensive. So say if I work as a welder, I don't have to belong to the welders union, if their contract is comprehensive and their minimum wage is 6 euros a meter, I also know they can't employ anyone anywhere as a welder under that unionized or not. One more reason we won't get Wal-Mart here :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

catzie

Post by catzie » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:38 am

In case the employer comply a certain collective agreement, these rules and rights apply to you as well, eventhough you would not be a member of union/memeber of this specific union".

Payroll responsible in your company should be able to advise you more detailöed about your company practices.
These are normal work life questions, so there is now reason to be afraid of asking more details from your employer.

Spectra

Post by Spectra » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:45 pm

Thanks for your help everyone.

A friend working at PAM union (it's one of the biggest around, I think) told me the same thing about the collective agreement, and she was certain that I have accrued vacation days over the 10 months being at home at that time. So that totals up to about 23-25 days.

Just another question though. How do I find out the exact date that I'm supposed to be back at work after these three years? And is it KELA who sets that date or is it always up to the employer?

I just want to be sure that I have my job back. There were some sticky situations at work when I left, and there still apparently are, so I just want to be in the know so I don't lose out or am taken advantage of as a foreigner.

Spectra

Post by Spectra » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:53 pm

Ok, I found this out from a "Guide for Foreigners Working in Finland"

"The length of a maternity, paternity or parental leave is altogether 263 weekdays. The length of the maternity leave is 105 days."

So after that, then it turns to 'child home care allowance". KELA says, "The child home care allowance consists of a basic allowance, which is paid separately for each of the eligible children. There is also a supplement which is only payable for one child."

So that lasts until the child is three,but is this all related to my workplace and what they are expecting?
I'm just searching around now to find out exactly where it states that I have a right to return to my workplace after my child turns three. But is that date his 3rd birthday, or is it the date exactly three years after I first started my maternity leave in 2005?
argh..

And one "minor" detail about myself that I forgot to include here, duh:

I am pregnant, and my due date for this second child is a one month (23 days, to be exact) after my son turns three.
I will be on maternity leave already on that day my son turns three. If my son's third birthday is that key date that I have to be back at work, then I should be "safe" since I'd be on maternity leave then.
But if the day I have to return to work is three years after I started my first maternity leave in 2005, then I'm not on maternity leave yet at that time. And it gets more difficult to count the days--when exactly is three years after...????